This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So why is vB better than IPB?

I haven't used either software, but am interested in vB at the moment. Why, though, should I choose vB over IPB?

Originally posted by Jeremy8 View Post
    I haven't used either software, but am interested in vB at the moment. Why, though, should I choose vB over IPB?
    Why don't you look at them both. I've taken a better look lately. If you do, you'll notice that each one has different priorities in what it puts in front of the users. IPB has it's latest version of its site live and this is its current development track. VB 4, although alpha/beta, is now out and showing its direction. The best for you is to take a good long look at each and try them out and decide which really suits your needs better. If you're just looking for a forum, both do a very good job. The rest is what is most important to you and not necessarily one being "better" than the other.
    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

vb is mroe flexible and you can find much more mods/addons then in IPB support areas
      vb gives you more plugins and support

Comment

If you have the money then go for vB if not then go for IPB

Comment

Originally posted by testii View Post
          vb is mroe flexible and you can find much more mods/addons then in IPB support areas <br />vb gives you more plugins and support
          <br /> <br />Actually, both are equally scalable and each have a wide variety of various styles, hacks, add-ons, etc.

vB is not better than IPB and IPB is not better than vB. Both are nearly equal in feature set and in the end, the best decision is to try out both and pick the one you like better. You really can't go wrong, either way.
          Forums

Comment

Does IPB have the same CMS thing like in the VB Premium Suite?
            I'm now 95% decided to buy VB although, I still have doubts about its functionalities as a CMS. will it be like Wordpress?

Also, does VB4.0 has a "Facebook Connect" feature?

Comment

Originally posted by flyah View Post
              Does IPB have the same CMS thing like in the VB Premium Suite?
              I'm now 95% decided to buy VB although, I still have doubts about its functionalities as a CMS. will it be like Wordpress?

Also, does VB4.0 has a "Facebook Connect" feature?
              IPB have a more mature version of the vB CMS (Publishing Suite), called IP.Content.

The vB CMS is a not a full CMS. Blogs and posts can be promoted to articles in the CMS, as well as static pages, however, these are currently being worked on.

vB 4.0 does not and will not have a Facebook Connect feature, nor will any other authentication means be placed as a standard feature. You can find a plugin/modification at vBulletin.org, but the only support for this is through the plugin developer. Additionally, we might not see a Facebook plugin for a while due to the newer nature of the closed beta testing of vBulletin 4.0.
              Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
              VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
              vBulletin Hosting and Services
              Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Originally posted by koolasia View Post
                If you have the money then go for vB if not then go for IPB
                I thought pricing doesn't differ that much...

I tried both but IPB couldn't convince me, missing some needed features, missing some hacks/mods, don't like to work with the admin cp. So no to me it's no alternative at all.

Comment

I moved to vB a few years ago because I was not happy with the response (or lack of it) from IBP regarding my pre-sales questions. It may have some more mature features here and there, but good service is important. To date, vB staff have been excellent in responding to any questions. I should point out that I recently had a look at IBP again, and again, IBP are OK up to a point in responding to questions - but now I cannot log in to their forum, cannot reset my password, emails to their support and bounced back, and finally, their tech support phone line won't help as I am not a licence holder, putting me through to "customer services" which is an answerphone! The only avenue left now is to airmail a letter to the US - no thanks, I'd rather spend the time and money on vB.
                  Fireworks

Comment

Originally posted by Ingenious View Post
                    I moved to vB a few years ago because I was not happy with the response (or lack of it) from IBP regarding my pre-sales questions. It may have some more mature features here and there, but good service is important. To date, vB staff have been excellent in responding to any questions. I should point out that I recently had a look at IBP again, and again, IBP are OK up to a point in responding to questions - but now I cannot log in to their forum, cannot reset my password, emails to their support and bounced back, and finally, their tech support phone line won't help as I am not a licence holder, putting me through to "customer services" which is an answerphone! The only avenue left now is to airmail a letter to the US - no thanks, I'd rather spend the time and money on vB.
                    Have you emailed Charles (IPB staff CS)?
                    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                    vBulletin Hosting and Services
                    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

The question should not be who is better between VB and IPB at this point in time, the question is who will be better tomorrow. For every webmaster that leaves vb today (and there are much more than staff would lead you to believe), there is 1 more webmaster at IPB. While VB is fine with losing 30% of its market share over the coming weeks, they are totally ignoring the fact that these people will only serve to make the competition stronger. IPB will be able to afford to do so much more over the coming 12 months due to an influx in revenues that have been virtually handed to them by VB. The amount of coders who write modifications, will increase at IPB as they are decreasing now at VB.

A couple of years ago VB had the right staff in place and the management blew IPB out of the water. Today alot of the staff has changed at VB and those that remain have new attitudes. All the while the management at IPB is taking advantage of the situation and stepping up their game. Now, the management style at VB cannot come close to touching IPB. No doubt IPB will take advantage of all this chaos caused by VB and it will not be long that the better software will be that of IPB.

Comment

That is pure speculation Dave, you have no statistics or any real proof of what you are claiming.

Comment

Sure it is speculation, but speculation based on common sense. We already see that IPB is stepping it up, all you have to do is take a look for yourself. As far as statistics, when a customer leaves VB he is going to go someplace , I do not need statistics to tell me the obvious. When a mod writer takes his talents and leaves VB, he will show up at the competition. Business 101 and common sense are my statistics.

Comment

I don't think there's a great deal between them. Depends what versions you compare, which is tough at the moment since IBP 3 should be compared with vB4 but vB is still in beta.

You've really got to take a test drive of both and see which you feel more comfortable with. It's probably going to boil down to a gut feeling, you can compare features til you're blue in the face, it's going to be which one you feel most comfortable using.

For me that is still vBulletin. But IPB is also a highly competent piece of software, don't write either off.
                            MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
                            AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

btw, here is a statistic

IPB has already been forced to hire 2 new people to handle the increased workload VB has put on them. I don't think they are complaining though

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X