vb 3.x Security Updates Going forward

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dismounted View Post
    I re-iterate again, I am not vBulletin Solutions staff. Do not take me to be so. I am a customer just like you.

o.k., I did not know this.

I need an official statement from vbstuff about this. If the policy is, that it is only valid until 4.2 is out, then it is just a question of the mood of vb, when they do want to call a new release 4.1 or 4.18 or 4.2

So this is for me not enough evidence, to have a proove that I am not getting screwed with all this October policy here...

Comment

Originally posted by Dismounted
      An owned license that still has a support period left on it will still be able to download the latest version of vBulletin Forum Classic, this includes vBulletin 4. So there is no bearing on your argument, as the customer can always update to the lastest available version of vBulletin as per their contract. I would expect vBulletin 4.2 to be at least a year away, by then, most of those contracts would have expired (4.2 is also when 3.8 is declared End-of-Life).

Can I get an official confirmation on this, at least? At no point in the new pre-order process is it indicated that I'll have access to 4.0 releases. Are VB just being misleading here? I was offered the original discount because I had an 'Active license'. Is there any reason they'd do this if I was actually entitled all new releases until August (with one of my licenses, anyway). There's no mention of this on the old members area, either.

I suppose my other point is that, free or not, a move to 4.0 would take a lot of work. Not least a ground-up re-skin, data porting, familiarising myself and my mods with the new admin CP and so on. All achievable, but not something I had on my schedule until next spring. I would assume a lot of customers are in the same boat. It would be nice to have some clarification that 3.8.x will continue to receive full attention until these old agreements have expired, although I take your point that 4.2 is probably more than a year away.

Originally posted by Dismounted
      Good to know that you know I'm a customer like yourself.*
      Noted. Looks like you're getting a lot of unfair flak across these forums. I'd hate to add to it...

Terry.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyClanger View Post
        Can I get an official confirmation on this, at least? At no point in the new pre-order process is it indicated that I'll have access to 4.0 releases. Are VB just being misleading here? I was offered the original discount because I had an 'Active license'. Is there any reason they'd do this if I was actually entitled all new releases until August (with one of my licenses, anyway). There's no mention of this on the old members area, either.
        See http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features. You will have access to vBulletin Forum Classic until your license expires. At which point you may only download the last available version to you. This was previously announced by Ray (see the Announcements forum). After the pre-sale, an upgrade to the Suite will cost $250; this is why you received an email about it, so you did not miss out on the offer.
        Originally posted by TinyClanger View Post
        Looks like you're getting a lot of unfair flak across these forums.
        I try and clear up some mis-conceptions about the entire thing.

Comment

See http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features. You will have access to vBulletin Forum Classic until your license expires. At which point you may only download the last available version to you. This was previously announced by Ray (see the Announcements forum). After the pre-sale, an upgrade to the Suite will cost $250; this is why you received an email about it, so you did not miss out on the offer.I try and clear up some mis-conceptions about the entire thing.
          Classic? Now it's like Coke?

Unfortunately, what this entire thread comes to is this - if your maintenance subscription expired before the end of the vbulletin 3.x product lifecycle (e.g. 3.7.1), you're expected to spend $175 or $250 just to get the rest of the vBulletin 3.x product updates. You have no ability to just pay your $40 and stay with vBulletin 3 to upgrade to 3.8.2pl2. Apparently they have run out of stock on that "product." With regard to Steve's comment, I'm not going to elaborate and just making the bottom line clear to whomever is following this thread.
          My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

Originally posted by slinky View Post
            Classic? Now it's like Coke?
            It's what they're calling it now. http://www.vbulletin.com/

Comment

It's what they're calling it now. http://www.vbulletin.com/
              In that case, it's important to realize that everyone agrees that the classic is the much better product.
              My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X