Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospective Buyer for vBulletin

Hello guys,

I am considering opening a forum and vBulletin, seems to be the optimal software.

If I purchase a new vB 4.0 suite, I will have access to the 3.8.4 until the new 4.0 comes out.

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    vB4 is not available yet which is why this is a Pre-sale. If you purchase now you would be able to download and install vB 3.8.4.

One thing to keep in mind is that the styles and template system was completely updated for vB4 so any customizations you have for earlier versions of vB will not work in vB4 and will need to be updated.
    Also, it was pointed out that the styles from 3.8.4 will not update to vB4, therefore it is useless for me to optimize a forum with 3.8.4 if everything will require rework. (please correct me if I understood this incorrectly)

Note: Since I have no experience with vBulletin software, is it possible for me to learn how to use the 3.8.4 and apply my learning when vB4.0 is out? I have not registered a domain for my website, and I have not registered with a host, but can I still play around the vbulletin software to learn how to set up the forum? like setting up topics, headings, colors, backgrounds and such??

Thanks in Advance,

Yes, my statement is correct regarding the styles. And yes, installing and using vB 3.8.4 will help you with understanding vB4.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply,

Since vB4 is not out for a while, is it possible to test and work with the vBulletin Software without signing up with a host because I do not plan to upload the site till I am working with vB4. I will however use 3.8.4 at home to learn how to use the software or will I require to install vBulletin on a hosting server in order to use it???

Regards,

Comment

You could do that, but that means you will have to install the following server applications on your PC:

- A Web Server
        - PHP
        - MySQL

Here is one option to do that:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Note: We do not provide support for setting up servers. vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 4.3.3) and MySQL (minimum 4.0.16) installed. As long as you have a host or server that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.
        Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
        Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
          You could do that, but that means you will have to install the following server applications on your PC:

- A Web Server
          - PHP
          - MySQL

Here is one option to do that:

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

Note: We do not provide support for setting up servers. vBulletin requires a web server that includes PHP (minimum version 4.3.3) and MySQL (minimum 4.0.16) installed. As long as you have a host or server that meets these requirements you will be able to install and run our software.
          Thank you Steve,

Comment

If there a guide on how to install vbulletin on a PC?? with those software installed?

Regards,

Comment

I'm assuming you mean a Windows PC. XAMPP Install Tutorial for Windows

XAMPP is very easy to use.
              vBulletin Rules!

Comment

http://www.wampserver.com/dl.php
                vB4 SuperCharged
                http://www.gamingmasters.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by kontagio.us View Post
                  I'm assuming you mean a Windows PC. XAMPP Install Tutorial for Windows

XAMPP is very easy to use.
                  Yeah! i downloaded it and installed it and /localhost on the browser works but what are the next steps?

Comment

Originally posted by Bizstudent View Post
                    what are the next steps?
                    Install vBulletin as per the manual.
                    "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
                    - Edsger Dijkstra

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X