Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

With CMS would VBadvanced still be needed....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freesteyelz
    replied
    I hope they'll consider it in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Garthilk
    replied
    Originally posted by Freesteyelz View Post
    With vBa, I'm able to create static pages (e.g., About, Help, contact...) that are outside of the forum root directory: /site/about instead of something like /site/forum/misc.php?do=about

Does the CMS allow us to create static pages like the former?
    No it does not.

Leave a comment:

• Freesteyelz
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    However most people don't carry the integration of vBAdvanced to their forum pages and simply use it as a portal. The vBulletin CMS can be set up to replicate that portal.
    With vBa, I'm able to create static pages (e.g., About, Help, contact...) that are outside of the forum root directory: /site/about instead of something like /site/forum/misc.php?do=about

Does the CMS allow us to create static pages like the former?

Leave a comment:

• kersti
    replied
    The forums don't have innate Widget support at this time. Primarily because the forums haven't been converted to an MVC model completely. However the developers say it isn't that difficult to do, just not on the immediate to do list. However most people don't carry the integration of vBAdvanced to their forum pages and simply use it as a portal. The vBulletin CMS can be set up to replicate that portal.
    It is a big goal. I don't have a specific version though.
    Umm.. so it's not that difficult but including it in a future release is a big goal??? I'm confused... this is something I would be wanting as well.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Arkham View Post
    Are there plans to fix this within the early 4.x releases? The sooner the better.
    It is a big goal. I don't have a specific version though.

Leave a comment:

• knightdreams
    replied
    Originally posted by nforums View Post
    vBulletin Solutions will not give you support while you have 3rd party addons installed/enabled.
    They will not support vBA of course, but they will support your forums, cause vBA will not mess up your forums when you use it for additional pages and a front page.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    The forums don't have innate Widget support at this time. Primarily because the forums haven't been converted to an MVC model completely. However the developers say it isn't that difficult to do, just not on the immediate to do list. However most people don't carry the integration of vBAdvanced to their forum pages and simply use it as a portal. The vBulletin CMS can be set up to replicate that portal.

So, the layout designer won't work at all on forum pages? That's really unfortunate, as it's jarring to have one layout for the 'landing' page and another for the content. I will absolutely require the ability to have context "sidebars"/widgets throughout the site.

Are there plans to fix this within the early 4.x releases? The sooner the better.

Thx!

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Arkham View Post
    That's the first I've heard of it. Where did you read that?

Leave a comment:

• nforums
    replied
    Originally posted by knightdreams View Post
    vBA advertises there vBAdvanced as CMPS (Content Management and Portal System), it can do both. And you can get support for it while it is installed on your forum, vBA is more than happy to support there product, always has and always will.

There is prolly a way to run both, will have to wait and see.

They are currently working on a new version to go along with vB4
    vBulletin Solutions will not give you support while you have 3rd party addons installed/enabled.

Leave a comment:

• Arkham
    replied
    Originally posted by Darkimmortal View Post
    The vB4 CMS will not offer permanent side columns on every page with widgets etc.
    That's the first I've heard of it. Where did you read that?

Leave a comment:

• SgtTechHead
    replied
    Viewing the Features list for the CMS found here: http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features (scroll down to the CMS section) It would appear to be very powerful and quite a contender when compared with vBA. The only thing I don't see mentioned there is integration of widgets with forum only pages. Their "out of the box" or default widgets fairly well replicate what vBA has to offer. You can create your own custom widgets as you can with vBA. You can create static pages, articles, etc. Also, as pointed out by a previous poster, there will undoubtedly be many widgets/addons released for it at vb.org.

I've no issue with vBA, I've used it for years and have been very pleased with it. From the looks of it though, you could very easily replicate a lot of what it does with the new CMS product.

Leave a comment:

• knightdreams
    replied
    I do not see vB's version of a CMS being as powerful as vBA out of the box, maybe in future releases or with add-ons from vb.org, but first release out of the box? No.

Leave a comment:

• tercede
    replied
    Originally posted by Shane Greer View Post
    So will the VB 4.0 offer the same homepage type options with the CMS?
    Maybe. I don't see why not. But then again I could substantiate my post further if IB actually had a working *cough* copy *cough*

Leave a comment:

• The Smoking Gun!
    replied
    I figured that would be the case, and for my one license that is great cause it don't need a blog...but the other, if they depreciate and stop support on the the 3.8x compatible one, then I lose both blog AND cms, because I don't have the funds to spend more on top of the $240. already laid out a couple weeks before the announcement, and really shouldn't have to lose n that deal since it was under the staff's advisement, and stupid me thought they were reputable people that one could trust their word....sure proved me wrong!!!!

Thanks for the speedy reply though

TSG!

Leave a comment:

• Shane Greer
    replied
    Originally posted by knightdreams View Post
    Brian over at vBA has announced they are in the works of making vBAdvanced to work with vB4 and as always they will support it just like they have all there other products. there current version(3.2.1) will not work with vB4, so they are making a complete recode so you will still be able to use vBA on your new vB4.

http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/show...74&postcount=2
    http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34752
    http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/show...5&postcount=20
    http://www.vbadvanced.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37249
    So will the VB 4.0 offer the same homepage type options with the CMS?

Leave a comment: