X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wily
    replied
    Originally posted by David Copeland View Post

1) This is the first major version where I don't think VBulletin put a lot of effort into designing the look, feel, text, fonts, colors, etc.
    It isn't released yet i thought?

Sorry, VB, but this look reminds me of some really cheap free software out there. We only have 40,000 members (and we are a paid site), but if they saw this cartoon and faded look, it would diminish the value we are presenting to our customers.
    You are a paid site and you are worried about the out of the box style? wow.

Leave a comment:

• karlin
    replied
    I like the new design and find a lighter background easier to read (I absolutely cannot read forums that are white type on dark backgrounds -- believe me, the older you get the more impossible such a design is). But I also assume it will evolve a bit as it nears release. I'd like darker type though but that is easy to change -- I always change things a bit for my own forum.

Also a lot of people are complaining about the vertical post template being used here, as if this is the only choice. If you look at the screen shots on the vBulletin sales site, it clearly shows an option for choosing horizontal or vertical designs for posts. Both are portrayed amongst the very few screen shots -- which strongly suggests the choice will be yours, not forced upon you : http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=screenshots

The vBulletin folks also noted quite clearly in the announcements section that this is a very early release, lacking functionality and still buggy -- but they are using the beta so people can see what is coming. It seems a bit pointless to complain as if this was the final release and still full of issues (when complaints would be understandable). People wanted to see VB4 though and the compromise is using something still at an early beta stage. It would be constructive though to note the bugs being seen in the section for noting bugs so that they can be corrected.

The Miko style above is also really nice and clean!
    Last edited by karlin; Wed 28th Oct '09, 2:31pm.

Leave a comment:

• cheat-master30
    replied
    I actually quite like this style. Obviously, not all of it, but I won't say exactly what images I hate since I mentioned that so much already. But generally, this doesn't hurt my eyes, does look more professional than version 3 (not that difficult to achieve though, I'll be honest here) and everyone I've polled about the style off site does seem to quite like it. That's why I voted the style will improve in the future, since I see potential in it when the mediocre icons and smilies get replaced.

Leave a comment:

• ricerice
    replied
    it does look pretty clean, menus and such up top looks so much like those other guys though.

Leave a comment:

• boatswife
    replied
    No, I don't like it at all. After 5 minutes of reading, my eyes start to hurt and I can feel the beginnings of a headache. I know they're working on it, but it's definitely not up to par. I actually do use the default skin when my members join and they make the choice to change it. So it's important to me that the default skin is impressive and right now it's not.

Leave a comment:

• Loco.M
    replied
    I voted no, but I'll go with a custom skin anyways so it doesn't really matter to me

Leave a comment:

• mikeholohan
    replied
    I like it much better than the VB3 style, it is much cleaner...

Leave a comment:

• David Copeland
    replied
    Originally posted by dutchbb View Post
    A refund because you don't like the color and text? All that can easily be changed in the acp, that's the whole point of customizing it to your taste.

1) This is the first major version where I don't think VBulletin put a lot of effort into designing the look, feel, text, fonts, colors, etc. In all previous VB major upgrades, the look was sharp, crisp, and gave the view a feeling of quality.

Yes, it may only be a minor change in making it look like its worth $260. But as a customer when I buy a Cadillac, I don't expect to see a cheap looking bucket of bolts and steel glued together, even though the motor train and everything under the hood may or may not be superior. I expect to see the leather seats, wood panels, custom looks, and so forth before any release.

If VB did not put quality effort in the cosmetics of the software look, then what else did they compromise under the hood??

2) For $260 (Retail), I should not have to make the look of the software as if it was quality. It should look like quality out of the box.

3) I suspect there will be sample beta sites to go to, but why should I be required to modify this software to look any better?

Sorry, VB, but this look reminds me of some really cheap free software out there. We only have 40,000 members (and we are a paid site), but if they saw this cartoon and faded look, it would diminish the value we are presenting to our customers.

4) And more importantly, as I have asked in the previous post about a courtesy refund offer after the final version is released, I feel there are other compromises under the hood. Who knows? The operating system factors, php, and other internal engine parts may be so far away from anything in the Ver 3.8 engine, that it just won't work effectively without major customizations and hacks.

Above all, I would like assurances that either a courtesy extension for my $130 payment (due Friday) can be approved, and if not a courtesy refund is made available after I see what I am buying.

David

Leave a comment:

• dutchbb
    replied
    How the H. can anyone compare this skin with IPB's ragardless if they like it or not, it's completely different.

Leave a comment:

• Nate Benton
    replied
    No. It seems like they're wanting to be IP. Board, and it sucks.

If I wanted a theme like that, I'd go purchase IP. Board. Seems like they really half-assed this theme and it failed.

Hell, after checking, IP. Board's default theme looks BETTER IMO. Maybe I -will- end up purchasing it. It'd probably beat sudden ridiculous licensing changes.
    Last edited by Nate Benton; Wed 28th Oct '09, 3:39am.

Leave a comment:

• MikeH2911
    replied
    Originally posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I can't even really see the style effectively on IE6 at the moment. The icons are often warped/stretched, the alignment of many things is extremely poor, some images don't seem to show up at all, etc. etc. With that in mind, I can't really comment on a style which I can't see effectively.

EDIT: Also, I can't seem to vote using IE6, either. No radio buttons/checkboxes, and clicking the options sends me down to the bottom of the thread...
    That's your fault for using such a bad browser

Leave a comment:

• MarcusJ
    replied
    I like it. It is very clean and modern.

The only fault I find that it is a bit too bright. It could use a more contrast. Otherwise it looks great, and loads quickly. It is a vast improvement over vB3, SMF, and phpbb3 designs.

I've looked at a number of the websites belonging to those who are complaining in this, and other threads. The majority I wouldn't trust to be judges of design. They've got some terribly tacky tastes.

I'll be moving to vB soon. I am very excited for 4.0 Stable.

Leave a comment:

• malmazan
    replied
    I do not dislike the style that much, though it could be improved (some of the mockups look great).

I do dislike that the format has poor usability, though.

They are two separate things.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB
    replied
    I voted no, and I think vBulletin should throw open a new theme compition a little like IPB did. Try and get some of the best skinners out there for vbulletin to come-up with something a bit special.

Leave a comment:

• too_cool_3
    replied
    Check out Miko's latest style revision in this thread :

Should be default for GOLD IMHO

Leave a comment: