Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will the many redirects remain in final product?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will the many redirects remain in final product?

I have noticed a profound number of redirects in vB 4.0 that were not present in 3.8.x: it seems that almost every function results in a redirection page (e.g. 'Your message has been posted, you will be redirected...'; 'Your vote cast, you will be redirected...', etc.). There are substantially more of these than in 3.8, which seemed to flow more seamlessly in this area.

Is this something involved in development testing, or will this continue in the release version of 4.0?

I'm leaning towards it being a recent bug or a problem with vB.com that the redirects are back. They have always been there as an option but never used. Not sure why vB.com has them again.

Comment

There is a vb 3 admincp option "reduce redirects" which is set off as standard. It's possible that this option in the vb 4 admincp is turned on for testing reasons, but can be turned off later.

Comment

As already pointed out, tihs is just a setting.
        It might be on for testing purposes.

So don't be worried that the final will have all those redirect messages :-)

Comment

I'm glad to hear this; and had wondered initially whether it was just set this way for testing. Perhaps a vB staffer could confirm, just to set minds at rest?

Comment

I'm assuing it was set like that to try and reduce server load during the first few days they put vb4 onto vb.com, as they are getting a lot more hits than usual as everyone wants to try out vb4.

Comment

Quoting myself here:

Originally posted by Wayne Luke
              The default is to have them off. However for testing purposes, especially when you have to test the layout and phrases of the redirects, it is very helpful to turn them on. With this upgrade, this is now a test environment.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Thanks very much, Wayne. I hadn't seen your comments in the other thread. Very helpful to know.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X