Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between vB 3.8 and 4.0 forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differences between vB 3.8 and 4.0 forums?

This was asked in the course of a thread that had started on another topic; so I'm asking it here in a new thread, slightly expanded/clarified:

The new look we're seeing to vB forums in the 4.0 product today unrolled here on the vbulletin.com support forum has a generally nice look to it (though there are a few CSS problems in all three of my browsers - but of course it is still in development!); however, it does look essentially like vB 3.8.x with a slight face lift.

To help us consider whether we wish to purchase / upgrade to vB 4.0 forums, please could vB tell us what precisely is substantively new in vB 4.0 forums?

It would be extremely helpful, for example, if the listing of features provided on the features page of vbulletin.com could be gone through, and each item annotated as whether it is new, or already exists in essentially the same form in vB 3.8.x forums.

For example, apart from the styling face-lift (and I'm very happy at the switch to semantic HTML rather than table), I've yet really to notice anything substantially new in the 4.0 forums -- apart from the fact that videos can now be embedded automatically (i.e. the functionality of the mod that has done this in 3.8 has been incorporated in the product).

But I'm sure there must be some areas to the forum that are substantively new in 4.0?

Thanks in advance.

Small words...

1) seo url's support
    2) changed the template to full xhtml css based (just that justifies any update)
    3) cms (content management system)

Done, no more big changes! Wait for great improvements on 4.xx cicle, where new features and php main code will be redone.

Comment

Originally posted by testebr View Post
      Small words...<br /><br />1) seo url's support<br />2) changed the template to full xhtml css based (just that justifies any update)<br />3) cms (content management system)<br /><br />Done, no more big changes! Wait for great improvements on 4.xx cicle, where new features and php main code will be redone.
      <br /> <br />

Thanks for the note... however (1) these aren't genuine SEO friendly URLs, as they continue to have a '?'; still they are an improvement.

(2) was already mentioned: I was looking for other things.

(3) is not related to the forum product, but is part of the broader suite. I'm keen to know which particular forum features are new / substantially changed since 3.8.x.

Comment

Originally posted by testebr View Post
        Small words...

1) seo url's support
        2) changed the template to full xhtml css based (just that justifies any update)
        3) cms (content management system)

Done, no more big changes! Wait for great improvements on 4.xx cicle, where new features and php main code will be redone.
        1) vB-IB seo is very "light"... Can have better for free on vb.org
        2) CSS is a good thing but doesn't justify on its own an (expensive) update.
        3) Monforum was talking about the new forum features. CMS is not linked.

The best progress is the new interface of the "upload manager". But it's not a new feature.

The good point is that now vB-IB 4 supports PNG buttons, which could be done on vB 3.8 with a little code.

Edit : threre is the new "Reply with quote" function. I guess a good coder might soon make this feature for vB 3.8.

Comment

Originally posted by cclaerhout View Post
          1) vB-IB seo is very "light"... Can have better for free on vb.org
          2) CSS is a good thing but doesn't justify on its own an (expensive) update.
          3) Monforum was talking about the new forum features. CMS is not linked.
          1) The char "?" on seo url is just one option of several options that you will can choose on final version. You can use wordpress alike seo url, vbseo, vb-ib, etc.. or just one custom made by you!

2) yes, it's justify! This is very very veryyyyyy important today, maybe you don't understand now, but in a close future you will understand the importance. This is the first step before the several recodes on main code and massive new features.

3) Really sorry, you can see the new video embed support on post, but it still in development and will be released with very poor features.

The big advantage on version 4 will be just the several updates on 4.xx cicle. Just read the announcements section about it.

Comment

I wonder if it's too early for "wish lists"? I would like to see an optional (turn on or off) shoutbox at the top of the forums and possibly the threads for community forums that have small talk which doesn't really justify a whole thread. But I do like the cosmetic look so far and the difference from 3.8 is nice IMO. I am excited about this release.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X