Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Average annual cost still remains at $35/year when paying $130 now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• David Copeland
    replied
    So you pay the $130.00 and keep ver 3.8???

What benefit is that?

(Or are you suggesting you are paying a one time amount of $130 to get lifetime support??)
    Last edited by David Copeland; Sat 24th Oct '09, 8:59am.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by dutchbb View Post
    You can't be sure, never say never
    Oh I can.

When I make a decision like this, it is final. No Turning Back.

I shan't be treated like I've been treated by this company yesterday. The license debacle was bad enough, but just as i was coming to terms with that and making a constructive suggestion, the staff close my thread and mock me in public.

If Invision was an option for me, I'd be there tomorrow. I'm *certainly* not interested in vB4 or anything it has to offer (which isn't a great deal actually). It's 3.8 with a new skin.

Leave a comment:

• dutchbb
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    I won't be running vB4 so it won't matter one jot to me.
    You can't be sure, never say never

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by ra87 View Post
    PS: if you don't take advantage of the presale for v5, to upgrade your suite from v4 to v5 will cost $250.
    I won't be running vB4 so it won't matter one jot to me.

Leave a comment:

• ra87
    replied
    PS: if you don't take advantage of the presale for v5, to upgrade your suite from v4 to v5 will cost $250.

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Ray has said they will have an offer

You have to remember, the $130 offer was for all owned license holders and they were getting screwed over.

They WONT be offering that again, and DO expect to pay $200 for the upgrade even in the presales.

PS: On the release date, Ray also said they would be "knocking on vb5's door" in 18 months after the release of v4. Therefore - don't be suprised if we see a presale for v5 in 2 years time
    We'll see. It's some way off yet.

Anyhow, although I will pay my $130, I am sticking with 3.8, so it won't be an issue for me. I shall never have to pay this company another bean, ever in my life.

Leave a comment:

• ra87
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    Ray did indicate this would more than likely be the case. Plus, it makes perfect sense for them to do it under this new business model. I doubt you have anything to concern yourself with on that score.

Might not be precisely $130 mind you, it depends on what they price vB5 at. But I'd be amazed if they didn't repeat the current discount scheme in some way, especially as Ray has said it's likely.
    Ray has said they will have an offer

You have to remember, the $130 offer was for all owned license holders and they were getting screwed over.

They WONT be offering that again, and DO expect to pay $200 for the upgrade even in the presales.

PS: On the release date, Ray also said they would be "knocking on vb5's door" in 18 months after the release of v4. Therefore - don't be suprised if we see a presale for v5 in 2 years time

Leave a comment:

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by David Copeland View Post
    Yes, I hope by the time Ver 5.0 is about to be released, VBulletin will offer a pre-release discount again at $130.00 for those who faithfully purchased Ver 4.0.
    Ray did indicate this would more than likely be the case. Plus, it makes perfect sense for them to do it under this new business model. I doubt you have anything to concern yourself with on that score.

Might not be precisely $130 mind you, it depends on what they price vB5 at. But I'd be amazed if they didn't repeat the current discount scheme in some way, especially as Ray has said it's likely.

Leave a comment:

• Baba Wawa
    replied
    Originally posted by leftie View Post
    But won't these major point versions have to have something very saleable otherwise people won't fork out big bucks for it.

Yes, they will. But that doesn't change the fact that, no matter what their quality, they will come much more frequently than in the past.

Leave a comment:

• leftie
    replied
    Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
    With the new price structure, there can be no question but that new versions (major point releases) will be much more frequent than in the past.

Until now, vB had an income stream whether or not it released a new version. (the $40-60 renewal fees, from almost everyone).

Those days are over. Now it will have a major boost in income only when it releases a new point version. So we have to know those will come much, much more frequently than in the past.
    But won't these major point versions have to have something very saleable otherwise people won't fork out big bucks for it, they'll just keep the version they have until it is worthwhile changing

Leave a comment:

• Baba Wawa
    replied
    With the new price structure, there can be no question but that new versions (major point releases) will be much more frequent than in the past.

Until now, vB had an income stream whether or not it released a new version. (the $40-60 renewal fees, from almost everyone).

Those days are over. Now it will have a major boost in income only when it releases a new point version. So we have to know those will come much, much more frequently than in the past.

Leave a comment:

• M3xital
    replied
    Originally posted by tickedon View Post
    Ray said previously in June 2009 they wanted to be knocking on the door of vB5 in 18 months. The link to the post is in the FAQ linked in my signature.

I would not expect another 3-4 year development cycle for v5 after v4.
    In this post,from14th Oct '09, Wayne is saying that it's gonna be at least 24 months between vb 4 and vB 5

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post

Now if you doubt there will be at least 2 years between 4.0 and 5.0, think about this. We plan to spend 6 months for developing each point release plus testing. Currently at least 2 point releases for vBulletin 4 are planned. That is at least a year of development and 3-6 months of testings and deployment. If only two point released are done for 5.0, then you're looking at 15 months before we start 5.0. Add on 6 months of development and 3 months of testing and you're at more than 2 years. Especially since people with customized sites probably won't upgrade until 5.0.1 which will be several weeks behind the initial release.

Leave a comment:

• tickedon
    replied
    Originally posted by David Copeland View Post

Last count, three million websites use forum software. That's $100 Million a year at $35.
    The last figure released by Internet Brands in their SEC filings indicate vB has 100,000 customers.

vB certainly doesn't have all 3 million forum owners using vB

Leave a comment:

• nuno
    replied
    I remember well those distant years, and someone has yet to show me a product like vB that comes even close to it.

Leave a comment:

• David Copeland
    replied
    Just remember, the suite upgrade when v5 is released will be $250.

Also remember, now that they have changed their price structure, the quicker they get to the new major release's, the more money they get So DO expect to see them in around 2 years time, and not the 4-5 years time that you seem you be expecting.
    Yes, I hope by the time Ver 5.0 is about to be released, VBulletin will offer a pre-release discount again at $130.00 for those who faithfully purchased Ver 4.0.

If not, that would be another disastrous move which would give more cause for customers to look elsewhere for a more reasonable priced forum software.

Last count, three million websites use forum software. That's $100 Million a year at $35.

Remember too how VBulletin got started! I was around back in those early days when the original software vendor made a similar move to hike their prices. Instead, a lot of folks vacated that software and started a new company - and named their product VBulletin.

Now VBulletin claims to have 90 competitors!

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X