Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purchasing V4 of the CMS (or Forum). Having to use 3.8 & then Upgrading...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchasing V4 of the CMS (or Forum). Having to use 3.8 & then Upgrading...

Hey all,

I need to know exactly what to expect. I understand that with the forum software, if I start using 3.8 & eventually upgrade to 4 when it's released; my users, posts, content, etc., will be intact... but my styles & other customization will not.

Is this EXACTLY the same with the CMS?

Is it worth starting a big project with 3.8 & then moving to 4 - again, mainly with the CMS.

What's the learning curve like for the CMS compared to Drupal or Joomla? I've been developing sites for a long time, but not so much with PHP/MySQL. I know enough to get by...

Thanks in advance!

I'm planning on doing a separate install of V4 from my current forums. Seeing how it works, how the upgrade works, importing my old data, all of that. I'll probably end up doing it several times until I get it right (depending on how well the installer/upgrade is written).

So I can keep my forums running. Once I get V4 running and I know how to import the old V3 data, I'll work on adding in the new addons (that people will hopefully update! heh), rewriting my own addons and rebuilding styles from my current style manually.

Not exactly what I want to do, but at the same time, it'll end up being much cleaner. I'm looking at this as an oppertunity to clean things up, learn more about VB in general and have a better understanding of how VB4 works when I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by superelektric View Post
      Is this EXACTLY the same with the CMS?
      Is what the same? Since there is no official vB CMS available, how can it be compared to what's being launched in the future?
      Tormod Guldvog
      Hypography - Science for everyone // Science Forums

Comment

tormodg... sigh, you're right. I don't know.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
        Working...
        X