Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on vBulletin CMS

Hello,

I want ask some information on vBulletin Publishing Suite please.
    1. This CMS, allows the single login at the forum's member?
    Or is necessary, make another registration?

2. What is the structure of the url when you write an article?

I saw on your portal, that type of the url:

http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features
    http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=screenshots

Are these?
    Is possible also change this url structure?
    According to you, is this cms...SEO friendly?

3. Is possible see some other example of this CMS online?

Thank you,
    Alex
    Last edited by jarod1981; Mon 19th Oct '09, 7:59am.

How about a timeframe? I mean, I just forked over a bunch of cash and got ZIP for it so far.. A little more info would be nice.

Comment

#1 looks to be single signon.

http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=features

Comment

Yes, it will share passwords with the forum (Thats the whole point of it )

BUT there is no more information, all the info we have, is what you can see in the screenshot.

There are currently no demo's of the CMS online

Comment

Yes, it has SEO friendly URL's and allows you to choose a range of options.

Comment

From the look of the screen shots it seems to have borrowed heavily from Joomla, right down to some of the logos it has used in the CMS admin side of things. In addition it looks like it has used what joomla calls the blog layout in one of the screenshots. I'm gonna take a guess that it uses the categories/sections/articles stuff that joomla does too.

Seems to make sense, if I was gonna create a CMS I'd look around and see what's there first, which means you'd have looked at joomla, wordpress and drupal as your very first port of call.

I quite like Joomla so I'd be happy if my guess is right.

Any of the mods want to confirm my suspicions?

Comment

Yep! That was my first impression of the screen shots. I run both Joomla and Drupal on my sites and my current prefrence is Joomla since it was so easy to set up and operate. Drupal is a bit messy but it's workable.

Another dead giveaway is the lifesaver icon used for help on the VB Suite that looks ripped right out of Joomla! LOL!

So those of you who want at least a bit of expirence setting up a CMS before the VB Suite comes out, download, install and paly with Joomla, LOL!

Originally posted by MikeH2911 View Post
              From the look of the screen shots it seems to have borrowed heavily from Joomla

Comment

Another question:

How many queries does a single, typical CMS page produce?

Comment

Can we expect similar functionality to Joomla or Drupal ? Is the idea to make this CMS as advanced and complete as them ?

Comment

Never really played around with Joomla but I hope they looked at VbPortal. If its similar to that they will have a win. I love the way the blocks and modules are set-up with VbPortal. Solid product, my fav CMS by far!

Comment

Originally posted by enfoque21 View Post
                      Can we expect similar functionality to Joomla or Drupal ? Is the idea to make this CMS as advanced and complete as them ?
                      I'm not a member of the vb staff, nor do I play one on TV but I'm gonna guess the answer is no for 4.0. But possibly later. I would be amazed and hugely impressed if the vb staff could duplicate a mature product like joomla in their first attempt. The widgets look like a good first start and it won't be long before people are writing their own (presumably over at vbulletin.org). I know I will

I reckon though if we give them time they will have something that could compete with joomla I spent ages messing with a joomla vb bridge, followed by using jfusion (the joomla universal bridge plugin) with vb and they never quite managed what I needed. Which is why I'm more than happy to fork out the cost of the suite. I know it'll save me a *lot* of time trying to hack together disparate web apps and sort out single sign on options, and frankly I think that's worth paying for from my point of view, even if it is more expenseive than some people would've liked. Add that to the possibilities for widget add-ons and we should see soemthing very cool over the coming months and years.

I only wonder how the possibilities for extensibility of vb4 suite/forums will stack up against something like joomla or drupal. At the moment I can't imagine them being quite so flexible but who knows.

Mike

Comment

From the look of the screen shots it seems to have borrowed heavily from Joomla, right down to some of the logos it has used in the CMS admin side of things. In addition it looks like it has used what joomla calls the blog layout in one of the screenshots. I'm gonna take a guess that it uses the categories/sections/articles stuff that joomla does too.

Seems to make sense, if I was gonna create a CMS I'd look around and see what's there first, which means you'd have looked at joomla, wordpress and drupal as your very first port of call.

I quite like Joomla so I'd be happy if my guess is right.

Any of the mods want to confirm my suspicions?

I'm no mod but i can pwn u into submission (it's a rhime i'm in good mood today)

• Almost all the graphical stuff from joomla comes from KDE artwork and graphs, in fact lifesaver icon is for help, so what do you say about that?
                        • and the blog layout, original from RobotWisdom and livejournal, or if you want something more closer in time let's say blogger, what did you said again?
                        • better organized than joomla as far as i can see, but if you don't http://files.vbulletin.com/images/ca...s/CMS_home.png
                        • i quite dislike joomla because it's the best example of doing the hard way things that normaly must b done the easy way

I'm not a member of the vb staff, nor do I play one on TV but I'm gonna guess the answer is no for 4.0. But possibly later. I would be amazed and hugely impressed if the vb staff could duplicate a mature product like joomla in their first attempt. The widgets look like a good first start and it won't be long before people are writing their own (presumably over at vbulletin.org). I know I will

I reckon though if we give them time they will have something that could compete with joomla I spent ages messing with a joomla vb bridge, followed by using jfusion (the joomla universal bridge plugin) with vb and they never quite managed what I needed. Which is why I'm more than happy to fork out the cost of the suite. I know it'll save me a *lot* of time trying to hack together disparate web apps and sort out single sign on options, and frankly I think that's worth paying for from my point of view, even if it is more expenseive than some people would've liked. Add that to the possibilities for widget add-ons and we should see soemthing very cool over the coming months and years.

I only wonder how the possibilities for extensibility of vb4 suite/forums will stack up against something like joomla or drupal. At the moment I can't imagine them being quite so flexible but who knows.

Mike
                        amen to that, duplicate no but build something better and easier from scratch yes

for extensibility, let's be a little more heavy thinkers, almost 40% of the forums used in joomla are vb forums and yes they get their daily quote of headache, now think, the easy of use for mods and plugins from vb and a frontend easier to manage and build, better than being constricted to how many blocks a joomla template is, hell, vbulletin sign me in is what i thinked, but right now all i want is that 4.0 is deployed asap

Comment

Originally posted by lav0s View Post
                          I'm no mod but i can pwn u into submission (it's a rhime i'm in good mood today)

• Almost all the graphical stuff from joomla comes from KDE artwork and graphs, in fact lifesaver icon is for help, so what do you say about that?
                          • and the blog layout, original from RobotWisdom and livejournal, or if you want something more closer in time let's say blogger, what did you said again?
                          • better organized than joomla as far as i can see, but if you don't http://files.vbulletin.com/images/ca...s/CMS_home.png
                          • i quite dislike joomla because it's the best example of doing the hard way things that normaly must b done the easy way

Well, I'm a gnome guy myself so forgot that the KDE icons looked like that I'll take you at your word for everything else

Re joomla though, I've not found it too much of a pain but there are a few things I've seen about the vbCMS that I like more than joomla (drag and drop for placement of widgets for example

amen to that, duplicate no but build something better and easier from scratch yes

for extensibility, let's be a little more heavy thinkers, almost 40% of the forums used in joomla are vb forums and yes they get their daily quote of headache, now think, the easy of use for mods and plugins from vb and a frontend easier to manage and build, better than being constricted to how many blocks a joomla template is, hell, vbulletin sign me in is what i thinked, but right now all i want is that 4.0 is deployed asap
                          Amen

Comment

Well I have worked with wordpress alot and its not that hard to get a look like that or even better. Plus you can share wordpress and Vbulletin Bridge Plugin to make single login work.

About the looks:

1. Sidebar: the current look you are talking about can be created using two sidebars and hard code Or two sidebar widgets ( those are drag drop like text box widget)

2. Central Part: You can use some plugin or custom as I did in gadgetquake.com

3. About URLs: wordpress is loved by google more than anything and inbulit SEOed url. Its has RSS feeds, thousands of plugins and other stuff.

4. One advantage: I think the skinning will be easy and you wont need to skin Vb and CMS again.

Its not that I am against VbCMS but I want to see more details and something that will compel me to buy it.

I am interested in buying Vb Suite 4.0 over VB forum 4.0 as the difference between the price of two is not much.

Things I want to know about Vb Suite 4.0

1. Will I be able to hosting CMS, forum and blog on different urls:

like:

1. CMS on: http://domain.com

2. Forums on: http://domain.com/forum

3. Blogs on: http://domain.com/blogs

If not then please inform me how will it look. I want to know the details before I buy it. I am going to use it for a new site so I need to know the details.

Vbulletin forums have a great success with the users. I expect VbCMS to do the same.

Moderators and Admins please disclosure it ASAP.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X