vBulletin 4.0 and Yahoo! Webhosting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kyrgyz View Post
    I used to have Yahoo hosting. My experience is that their customer service is arrogant and incompetent, they try to find every possible way to squeeze money out of you. Be warned.
    Ditto... They were a complete disaster, in the roughly 4 months my site was hosted with them it was off-line 8 times because of server or database glitches.

Since switching hosts over a year ago I've had zero problems.

Comment

guys,

what hosting provider can you recommend? im planning to transfer my website to go daddy...

Comment

what about

1&1?
        bluehost?
        go daddy?

pls advise.. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jalmz View Post
          guys,

what hosting provider can you recommend? im planning to transfer my website to go daddy...
          As I said earlier in this thread, I've been using Servage (won't bother to put in a link again, since moderators tend to change them) for some time, and I'm extremely happy with all they can deliver and also the service level.
          I was investigating Dreamhost also at the time, and from my impression the both deliver the same package, but Servage have Swedish representation so they "won"

/p

Comment

I will advice!

what about

1&1?
            bluehost?
            go daddy?

pls advise.. thanks

I will advice you the www.hostupon.com hosting is the best i had they offer everithing and also they transfer the site for you.
            And is prety cheap for the service they offer..

Support is grate they anwser in les then 15 minutes..

Their hosting also supports
            FFMPEG For Videos and Social Networks

And Free Domain Name For Life

Comment

what about

1&1?
              bluehost?
              go daddy?

pls advise.. thanks
              I've used 2. Hostgator and Godaddy. I would never use godaddy again, the interface to the hosting account was confusing and, according to other posts, not standard. Their tech support, while friendly, are not that helpful and are inconsistent. I called 3 times in a an hour and ask the same question to 3 different tech people and I got 3 different answers.

Host gator works well enough for us and their tech people answer, are consistent, and much better qualified. Regarding the limit of 25 user connections to the MySQL database it has only been a problem 1 time when a swarm of bots came in while there were a bunch of people on at the time. We have 25-50 people on most of the time.

Take a peek over at webhostingtalk.com then decide.

Comment

what about

1&1?
                bluehost?
                go daddy?

pls advise.. thanks
                I stopped using 1&1 for hosting as they have too many limitations on bandwidth and mysql database size (100MB limit). I now only use 1&1 for domain registration.

I use hostmonster (same company as bluehost) for my hosting now and never have any problems. No limits on bandwidth or storage.

Never used Go Daddy before, so I can't comment on them.

Comment

guys,

I've been using Inmotion hosting since leaving Yahoo last year... They've been as flawless as is humanly possible. In short outside of a couple day 1 stupid user issues I haven't had to contact them for anything and in my mind that's a pretty good indication of their reliability.

Comment

How can we convince Yahoo to upgrade their php 4 to php5? From anyone in Vbulletin team can tell them? As customer in Yahoo webhosting. What we can do?
                    You cannot convince them,that is my experience.
                    Our customers do not need PHP5
                    Which is true...for 5% of them why should they upgrade their system?

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

what about

1&1?
                      bluehost?
                      go daddy?

pls advise.. thanks
                      I personally do not recommend 1&1. They have a 100 megabyte limit per database. This is not enough to run an active community.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

None of the "low cost" hosters should be an alternative. These all are shared environments and depending on their set up, vBulletin can cause their machines to use too much of the CPU on the shared machine and they will either bill you for it or throttle your access thereby slowing you down.

The best alternative is to get a dedicated machine. Dedicated servers can go as low as $40 a month and you'll never have problems because you set everything up and upgrades are on your schedule not the hosting company.

And speaking of upgrading to php 5. If yahoo or godaddy ever tried to upgrade, they will have far more calls complaining that their customer's sites are broken and I'm sure is a reason why they are reluctant to do it. Sites that are tweaked to run on php 4 won't necessarily run on php 5.

what about

1&1?
                        bluehost?
                        go daddy?

pls advise.. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Nestor View Post
                          None of the "low cost" hosters should be an alternative. These all are shared environments and depending on their set up, vBulletin can cause their machines to use too much of the CPU on the shared machine and they will either bill you for it or throttle your access thereby slowing you down.

The best alternative is to get a dedicated machine. Dedicated servers can go as low as $40 a month and you'll never have problems because you set everything up and upgrades are on your schedule not the hosting company.
                          I would say that the best alternative is going to be the one that best satisfies your requirements for forum hosting. My requirements are currently met by shared hosting without any bandwidth or storage limitations. My forum traffic has never caused an issue with any CPU usage limitations, so it has been a very good and affordable solution for me (only $5.00 per month).

So my recommendation would be to look at what your current needs are and whether shared hosting or dedicated hosting is needed at the onset. If looking at shared hosting to start, I would look at whether the provider you are considering allows you to upgrade your hosting package later or not (and what that would entail for your website if you do upgrade your package).

Comment

Originally posted by pahvi View Post
                            I'm running Servage hosting since a year or two, and I,m extremly pleased with both their service and delivery...

They run:
                            PHP 5.2.42
                            MySQL 5.0.75

/patrick
                            Wait till your page grow. We were with them couple of months, but SLOOOOooowwwwllyyyy loading of pages just took nervs from us.

After them we went on dedi server and it s completly different, though expensive.

Servage is ok for small pages - company, or small comunity, but for serious forums or portals they can't handle the business.

Btw, be aware of hosts who offer "unlimited" bandwith - it is fraud.

Comment

Jumping from a shared account to a dedicated server is a little too heavy for a pocket. A better option is to sign up for VPS. Knownhost has VPS deals starting at $25 a month with top-notch customer service. Fully managed service is included with their VPS accounts that have a control panel installed.

And speaking of upgrading to php 5. If yahoo or godaddy ever tried to upgrade, they will have far more calls complaining that their customer's sites are broken and I'm sure is a reason why they are reluctant to do it. Sites that are tweaked to run on php 4 won't necessarily run on php 5.
                              Actually, PHP5 can be manually enabled from CPanel. It has this option: Enable/Disable PHP 5. I know LunarPages offers it. BTW, LunarPages delivers a very reliable shared webhosting for around $5 a month.

Not trying to advertise here, just sharing my experience as I've tried all the above.
                              Last edited by kyrgyz; Mon 19th Oct '09, 5:39pm.

Comment

hehehe. im comfuse....

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X