X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tann3100 View Post
    Ah that must be in newer versions im still runing 3.6.8 lol
    Aahhh, I'm running 3.8

For 3.6 you can try this NoSpam. I used it for a while and it does pretty much the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by terry
      I did not know I can word the questions even a little tricker to get by the default setting. Thanks for the tip!!
      Here's another tip then. The probability that every "real" user may pass that trickier question AT ONCE becomes less. He would rather leave with an ugly face if he fails twice. Simply avoid LONG and TRICKIER questions.

Comment

Originally posted by veenuisthebest View Post
        Here's another tip then. The probability that every "real" user may pass that trickier question AT ONCE becomes less. He would rather leave with an ugly face if he fails twice. Simply avoid LONG and TRICKIER questions.
        I agree, if I had to break out a piece of paper and pencil to try and figure out the question I would say screw it and move on.

One thing I noticed with the question and answer deal is after a while the spammers will start hitting me, I'll change the question and answer and they will stop. After a while they'll start again and i'll change the Q&A again. It seems like every now and then a human comes around to figure out the answer for the bots.

Comment

Originally posted by dmh View Post
          I agree, if I had to break out a piece of paper and pencil to try and figure out the question I would say screw it and move on.

One thing I noticed with the question and answer deal is after a while the spammers will start hitting me, I'll change the question and answer and they will stop. After a while they'll start again and i'll change the Q&A again. It seems like every now and then a human comes around to figure out the answer for the bots.
          Hmmm... Now there's an idea for a plug-in: one that rotates the questions....

Comment

Originally posted by thbertram View Post
            I never thought about it but that would be a great plug-in. I would gladly write out 10, 20+ simple questions and answers to waste some of the spammers time (I know thay've wasted enough of mine). Throw in the option to make the questions random instead of just on a rotation and that would make it even better.

Comment

All version past 3.7x (I believe) have built in spam prevention and although they aren't 100%, they do work pretty good.

Reading the FAQ's it says it has the same spam prevention that's in effect now so I wouldn't worry about that part too much.

But I agree, the spam go so bad on my site at one point, I just lost interest in it all and let the thing degenerate to the point I lost a lot of my members. Luckily one day I found out about the new spam features and paid (LOL) the upgrade fee to get the new updates.

Better late than never I guess

Comment

Originally posted by thbertram View Post
                I never thought about it but that would be a great plug-in. I would gladly write out 10, 20+ simple questions and answers to waste some of the spammers time (I know thay've wasted enough of mine). Throw in the option to make the questions random instead of just on a rotation and that would make it even better.
                This rotates the questions, I'm on 3.8.3 at the moment. Works great!
                http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=183329

Comment

Admin CP > Human Verification Manager

Under "Human Verification Options" select the "Question & Answer Verification" radio button. Next, under "Question & Answer Verification Options" add a new question or edit what you have.
                  They only stop the bots, they don't stop the people out in China who surf the net all day signing up to forums and then saving the login details so they can run an automated program to flood spam into hundreds of forums.
                  Regards

Steve.
                  www.mg-rover.org - Forum for MG and Rover owners everywhere!
                  85k users and 4million posts & growing.

Comment

Originally posted by terryfavors View Post
                    I have not had any bots get into my system yet and I watch them try every day. I use the question and answer section here is an example of a question:

If you had two boys and six girls how many children would you have please answer with a number this time.

Let's try you math if you had one hundred divided by two and then add twenty to that what would your answer be? Please spell your answer in lower case!

Very hard for a bot to get pass these type long questions. Just some suggestions maybe they will help you some.
                    TF

I have heard excellent things about the Q&A system.

Actually, it doesn't even have to be this complicated. You can also ask for items of general knowledge - what is the capital of France; who wrote Huckleberry Finn; stuff like that. You can use multiple questions so that someone who does not know the answer to one can try the next one.

Comment

Q&A system works perfectly. Just defined 5 or 6 questions as easy, as What is name of our President? People are registering, but for last year one or two spamers managed to answer it correctly. In fact we are nonenglish language forum, and it is advantage, as nobody in China, Turkey or Nigeria knows, what is the name of polish President :-).

Regards

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
                        Actually, it doesn't even have to be this complicated. You can also ask for items of general knowledge {click} who wrote Huckleberry Finn; stuff like that.
                        This one is not so general, E.g. in Poland all have to read only Tom Sawyer adventures being in first classes of school, and no doubt, 90% of our population will try Wikipedia, where you can find: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huckleberry_no_Bouken
                        :-)

Regards

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X