Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I only care about 1 thing

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I only care about 1 thing

    I don't care about price or any of that.. I only care about 1 thing. Will this new version stop automated bots from registering and posting spam (most porn) on my forums? I have been a vbulletin customer for awhile but stopped upgrading due to all the damn bots and spam.

    is there anything being done to eliminate this problem? if so what and depending on that answer i will buy it or not.

    Thankyou for your time

  • #2
    I can't tell you anything on this subject for vB4, but there are some good add-ons for vB3 on the vBulletin.org site. I've used vbStopForumSpam on my site for almost a year and it's been a life-saver. There are others as well, but this is the only one I have personal experience with.

    Comment


    • #3
      is there anything being done to eliminate this problem? if so what and depending on that answer i will buy it or not.

      Having the same issue I finally went to moderated member acceptance. Then I hid most of the forum from non members to make it harder for them to get a feel for our content.

      You can use this free forum service that will allow you to check on a link to see if it is SPAM or not.

      http://www.stopforumspam.com/

      Comment


      • #4
        Spam

        I have not had any bots get into my system yet and I watch them try every day. I use the question and answer section here is an example of a question:

        If you had two boys and six girls how many children would you have please answer with a number this time.

        Let's try you math if you had one hundred divided by two and then add twenty to that what would your answer be? Please spell your answer in lower case!

        Very hard for a bot to get pass these type long questions. Just some suggestions maybe they will help you some.
        TF

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by terryfavors View Post
          I have not had any bots get into my system yet and I watch them try every day. I use the question and answer section here is an example of a question:

          If you had two boys and six girls how many children would you have please answer with a number this time.

          Let's try you math if you had one hundred divided by two and then add twenty to that what would your answer be? Please spell your answer in lower case!

          Very hard for a bot to get pass these type long questions. Just some suggestions maybe they will help you some.
          TF
          how do you add these long questions?

          Comment


          • #6
            Under Admin CP VBULL Options

            Human Verification Options

            Comment


            • #7
              You can do a question like:
              How many sides does a square have and how many sides does a triangle have add these together and how may sides do you have total? Please answer with lower case letters and let the last letter be CAP?

              Now if the bot gets pass this I will try something harder lol

              The answer would be: seveN

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by tann3100 View Post
                how do you add these long questions?
                Admin CP > Human Verification Manager

                Under "Human Verification Options" select the "Question & Answer Verification" radio button. Next, under "Question & Answer Verification Options" add a new question or edit what you have.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by terryfavors View Post
                  Now if the bot gets pass this I will try something harder
                  Yeah, make fun of the bots while you still can. Twenty years from now they'll be flooding your forums, and you won't be able to enter theirs
                  "The lurking suspicion that something could be simplified is the world's richest source of rewarding challenges"
                  - Edsger Dijkstra

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by terryfavors View Post
                    You can do a question like:
                    How many sides does a square have and how many sides does a triangle have add these together and how may sides do you have total? Please answer with lower case letters and let the last letter be CAP?

                    Now if the bot gets pass this I will try something harder lol

                    The answer would be: seveN
                    AFAIK, answers cannot be case specific in default vb.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by dmh View Post
                      Admin CP > Human Verification Manager

                      Under "Human Verification Options" select the "Question & Answer Verification" radio button. Next, under "Question & Answer Verification Options" add a new question or edit what you have.

                      Ah that must be in newer versions im still runing 3.6.8 lol

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by renep View Post
                        Yeah, make fun of the bots while you still can. Twenty years from now they'll be flooding your forums, and you won't be able to enter theirs
                        This is probably so true, hahahahah!!!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I am running the latest version I'm very new so have no experience on earlier versions and very little experience on this version also.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by veenuisthebest View Post
                            AFAIK, answers cannot be case specific in default vb.
                            I did not know I can word the questions even a little tricker to get by the default setting. Thanks for the tip!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by peanutym View Post
                              I don't care about price or any of that.. I only care about 1 thing. Will this new version stop automated bots from registering and posting spam (most porn) on my forums? I have been a vbulletin customer for awhile but stopped upgrading due to all the damn bots and spam.

                              is there anything being done to eliminate this problem? if so what and depending on that answer i will buy it or not.

                              Thankyou for your time
                              That's impossible to answer.

                              Every step forward in systems to verify humans simply leads to work by the spammers to make their systems beat it. It is a constant battle. Constantly evolving. New protections, new ways for them to beat it, leading to new protections...
                              Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
                              # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
                              # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

                              ★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X