Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• suite or forum upgrade

Hi,

I have an owned active license that expires in March 2010. I'm currently trying to decide if I want to go for the suite or the forum and I'm wondering what you guys think I should do.

I don't have much need for the CMS systems, however I guess it could be something I would look into making use of, but its not something that would affect my decision here.

The main question for me is, that if I purchase the suite now for $130, will I be tied in to paying a higher price when it comes to vb5, than I would if I went with the forum upgrade? I appreciate thats a long way in the future but it would be nice to get some kind of idea about that.

Right now the suite is $130, so if I'm going to have to upgrade to the forum anyway in the future for $175 it makes sense to get the suite now... I just don't want to end up being forced to pay a lot for the vb5 suite if im only really using the forum.

Thanks.

I'm in the exact same situation as you, and I'm going for the suite.

The "free" forum upgrade will mean having to buy the full 4.0 license come March 2010 (and it will be a lot more than $130 at that point), but buying the suite now will give you a permanent vB4.0 and suite license valid until 5.0.
    vB4 SuperCharged
    http://www.gamingmasters.co.uk

Comment

All 3 of my licenses are current. I'll be moving to v4 once some of my must have mods/addons are ported over.

I'd like to try out the CMS but how any anyone even consider pre-paying for the suite on blind faith that it will fit their needs?

I will need to wait and see.
      I want the cms to be outside of my forum directory.
      Currently it doesn't look like it will.
      ...steven
      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti View Post

I will need to wait and see.
        I want the cms to be outside of my forum directory.
        Currently it doesn't look like it will.
        Thats a good point, can any of the vB staff verify that?

My forum is the only thing I have on my site, it is not in a different directory.

Would the CMS allow me to keep my forum like that (if I wanted to and decided not to use the rest of the suite), or would I be forced to create a new home page and move the forum to /forum?

Comment

Originally posted by inbeforethelock View Post
          Thats a good point, can any of the vB staff verify that?

My forum is the only thing I have on my site, it is not in a different directory.

Would the CMS allow me to keep my forum like that (if I wanted to and decided not to use the rest of the suite), or would I be forced to create a new home page and move the forum to /forum?
          There are already threads on the same subject.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320564
          ...steven

Comment

In the thread you posted no one from vB gave any clarification, but in this one there is:

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320853

Which is good and clears some stuff up. However, my original question about being tied down to a more expensive upgrade if i go for the suite now when vb 5 comes along still remains.
            Last edited by inbeforethelock; Sat 17th Oct '09, 3:29pm.

Comment

However, my original question about being tied down to a more expensive upgrade for vb 5 still remains.
              They are talking about giving a discount for vB5 as well. Not much from what I understood.

Personally I don't mind paying a higher upgrade price for a better, more advanced product which I hope vB5'll be.

Comment

In the thread you posted no one from vB gave any clarification, but in this one there is:

Which is good and clears some stuff up. However, my original question about being tied down to a more expensive upgrade for vb 5 still remains.

i am going for the suite aswell i figure if 4.0 is good enough then i might not want/need to upgrade to 5.0 and there is no telling if i will keep my stie more than another five years anyhow.

Comment

Thanks. I hadn't seen that one.
                  ...steven

Comment

The main question for me is, that if I purchase the suite now for $130, will I be tied in to paying a higher price when it comes to vb5, than I would if I went with the forum upgrade? I appreciate thats a long way in the future but it would be nice to get some kind of idea about that.
                    Wayne previously posted (now gone) that the vB Forum 4.0 to 5.0 upgade would be $175, and the Suite 4.0 to 5.0 upgade would be $250.

Even if that is what they are talking about now, we're talking 18 months before vb5, so it will be subject to change.

Certainly, it shows that they are planning to charge more for Suite upgades, which I can understand.
                    Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
                    # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
                    # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

Don't mean to take this o/t but. . .
                      seems to me anytime IB needs an influx of cash they will call the next upgrade a new version. I mean, will v4 be that much different than v5? Or is it just a marketing scheme? 5 must be better because it's 1 more than 4.
                      ...steven

Comment

Originally posted by tickedon View Post
                        Wayne previously posted (now gone) that the vB Forum 4.0 to 5.0 upgade would be $175, and the Suite 4.0 to 5.0 upgade would be $250.
                        See thats one thing that worries me. I dont want to be tied down to the suite if I dont end up using all its features, and then have to pay a much higher upgrade price in the future...

Would vb 4 suite customers be able to upgrade to vb 5 forums? I guess its too far away to tell.. hmmm.

Comment

Would vb 4 suite customers be able to upgrade to vb 5 forums? I guess its too far away to tell.. hmmm.
                          I am pretty certain it was indicated in another forum post by a staff member that once you go Suite, that's it. You upgrade to Suite each time.

That's why they have the low $130 upgrade price for Suite upgrades:

v4 Forum upgrade $175, v5 Forum Upgrade $175 = $350
                          v4 Suite at offer of $130, v5 Suite at $250 = $380

They make it back easily. It doesn't take much to figure out the thinking of IB/vB Hell, they would have been better offering EVERYONE that $130 rate - less people angry, more money in the long term. That's the thing that gets me - good ideas in terms of making money, so poorly implemented the customers are revolting instead.
                          Alasdair Stewart || SolidPHP, Inc - www.solidphp.com
                          # License, distribute and sell your PHP scripts - SPBAS licensing solution
                          # Does your licensing provider have over 5 years of experience?

★ STOP PRESS! Click here for my FAQ on the changes for existing customers

Comment

the customers are revolting
                            Finally, something we can agree on....
                            shout street
                            willful stupidity

Comment

v4 Suite at offer of $130, v5 Suite at $250 = $380

In actual fact, there might be a solution.

v4 Suite at offer of $130, NEW v5 forum at $195 = $325

So it would actually work out cheaper to have 2 licenses at the end, one suite v4 and one forums v5.

The ONLY problem, is if vBulletin are going to allow us to convert from suite v4 to forums v5, but if not, i'm 100% sure a mod will be out on vBulletin.org to allow us to do it.

And going that way, you would have a v4 suite license still to use on another site or sell (getting MORE money back!)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X