X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark.B
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    You'll only need to pay if you want to upgrade to vBulletin 5.X. You'll be able to continue running vBulletin 4.X even after 5.0 is released. This is the predominant software licensing model in the world.
    Which is fine, except that a lot of people suspect that new major versions will be "rushed out" in order to grasp even more cash even sooner.

I now know exactly the sort of company IB is, and it's not a pleasant one. I've seen their sort before, and I don't do business with them if I can at all avoid it. They would sell your granny for an extra dollar.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by RobParker View Post
    The release date of VB5 is now part of the terms of the VB4 license and dictates how long the license is active for and when people will need to pay again but no one has any idea what that date is.

Surely you can see why people are concerned about this?
    You'll only need to pay if you want to upgrade to vBulletin 5.X. You'll be able to continue running vBulletin 4.X even after 5.0 is released. This is the predominant software licensing model in the world.

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    The release date of VB5 is now part of the terms of the VB4 license and dictates how long the license is active for and when people will need to pay again but no one has any idea what that date is.

Nope. Because we know that if we want VB5, we'll have to pay for it.... it's not going to be FREE. - And, I'm confident we will not see VB5 for a long time to come. There will be plenty of 4.X versions to get through before there's VB5.

Leave a comment:

• RobParker
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    The only reference is that if you buy vBulletin 4.0 then you don't have to pay anything else until vBulletin 5.0 comes out.

Leave a comment:

• sblair
    replied
    I've seen these kind of license plan changes before on other products. What it means is that they are now going to be completely focused on vB5 once vB4 is released.

In the past, revenue was based on support renewals not new versions. Now that revenue is all directly tied to major version releases then naturally, they will minimize the point releases in order to get the next major version done.

From past experience with other companies that have gone to this, what you will see is very little focus on bug fixes and the minor improvements, but a complete focus on major features that can count as a new major version. Often this rush to release and get revenue will also mean the quality of the product suffers. Bug fixes take a back seat to new features. Bug fixes will happen, but they will often be part of the next major version, so you have to pay to upgrade to get the bug fixes even though you may not want or need the new features.

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    Thanks Wayne for chiming in there. That's a very appropriate response.

Please, all of you, let this 12-18 months crap of VB5 die already.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by shaqman View Post
    When is 4.0 scheduled to come out?
    Soon.
    and when is 5.0 scheduled to come out?
    Not soon. We actually haven't even thought about vBulletin 5.0 except in the barest glimmer in the back of our minds. There is simply too much to do with the 4.X series still.

The only reference is that if you buy vBulletin 4.0 then you don't have to pay anything else until vBulletin 5.0 comes out. There will be no more annual renewal fees.

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    Hasn't one of the head guys been quoted as saying that VB5 is expected 12-18 months after VB4. I assume as he's in charge he has "an idea", no?
    Nope, he doesn't I don't think. (No offense to the VB folks.) I think that was a mistake for him to say as they have not even got VB4 out the door as of yet.

*IF* by some god forsaken reason it DOES come out in that SHORT of a time period, we won't be buying it. We're getting 4.0 and we're staying there, 12-18 months is completely silly when you are talking about large sites that have to make a large amount of changes.

Leave a comment:

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    Originally posted by ENF View Post
    Because some people were running around saying things like 12-18-24 months for VB5 when truthfully, they had no idea.

Just remember VB3 has been been around since 2004, that's five years of VB3. I'd expect VB4 to be around for 2+ years at the very least. [Hopefully longer, unless it's complete disaster, doubtful of course.]
    I doubt that, as they should and will have enough money to pay for temporary coders to help in the quick release of next version. "A little lips stick here and there and repackage as New Improved'...

Remeber vB 5 is completely suppose to be recoded and trying to bridge that will be the difficult part.

Leave a comment:

• RobParker
    replied
    Originally posted by ENF View Post
    Because some people were running around saying things like 12-18-24 months for VB5 when truthfully, they had no idea.
    Hasn't one of the head guys been quoted as saying that VB5 is expected 12-18 months after VB4. I assume as he's in charge he has "an idea", no?

Leave a comment:

• RobParker
    replied
    Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
    I dont understand why people are talking about vB5.0 either, vB4.0 is yet to be released
    People are talking about VB5 as it's release date is now relevant as it dictates how long your VB4 license support is valid for.

People are buying VB4 licenses now and it's fair to expect some information on when the license is valid until.

At the minute there's absolutely nothing stopping IB in theory releasing VB4 tomorrow and then VB5 next month. That would mean your VB4 license was no longer valid for updates/support and you'd need to pay another $250. Obviously this is an extreme case but it explains why people are asking about VB5. The release date of VB5 is now part of the terms of the VB4 license but no one has any idea what that date is.

As it stands, it seems the best guess from Ray is "12-18 months" until VB5 is released. That's quite soon if people need to pay for a whole new VB5 license.

Leave a comment:

• ENF
    replied
    Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
    I dont understand why people are talking about vB5.0 either, vB4.0 is yet to be released

Just remember VB3 has been been around since 2004, that's five years of VB3. I'd expect VB4 to be around for 2+ years at the very least. [Hopefully longer, unless it's complete disaster, doubtful of course.]

Leave a comment:

• hitmancode47
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ShadoeWolfe
    replied
    And hopefully it will be at least 3-4 years before v5 comes out, considering licenses now cost $250. I assume there will always be a 'discount' for owning a license - but how much of a discount or if there is one is an unknown.

If v5 comes out sooner than 3 years from v4 being released - then i think it will be time to find another solution. At that rate, licenses will be costing roughly $80/yr, which is a 100% increase from what they were at the beginning of this year. That is too much for maintenance... Just MHO of course..

Leave a comment:

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    The idea was to say 'New improvement been made and now you must pay up or get out'. If you are not Big Boards, then to bad for you, as you do not generate money for us, then why do we need you... <- Just a thought of what is completely speculative and not base on truth on how IB is doing here. I wish I was a fly on the wall on those meetings thou...

Leave a comment: