X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chael
    replied
    Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
    Do you have any idea how many people have summarily rejected the vB4 license, style, and pricing, and will be sticking with vB3?
    Start a poll and find out.

I rested on an older VB license for some time, which ran very well to this point. I'll be upgrading to VB4.0 and run it to death as well. Cost wise, that hasn't been bad considering the functionality, support, and such. I see a lot of value in the software with the new release, so I'll pony up the cash. When VB5 comes around, I'll evaluate what's there and see if it is worth it then.

It's all just a choice anyway.

Leave a comment:

• kyrgyz
    replied
    Originally posted by al3bed View Post
    so let's give the vbulletin sales managers the chance to doing there job by taking our money

this is the life .. work for it .. gain form it

I like vbulletin because I'm in love with the template system
    Good. I thought you were about to say you are in love with sale managers. Just joking here...
    Last edited by kyrgyz; Sun 18th Oct '09, 5:02pm.

Leave a comment:

• Abdulla Ashoor
    replied
    guys are you kidding? how can be compare between Microsoft and vbulletin?

I guess build an operating system will never be a case to compare with a php scripts

may a groups of coders can do better than vb4

so let's give the vbulletin sales managers the chance to doing there job by taking our money

this is the life .. work for it .. gain form it

I like vbulletin because I'm in love with the template system

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    Originally posted by ZippySLC View Post
    By the time vB 4.1 or 4.2 comes out, 3.x will be very long in the tooth.
    Do you have any idea how many people have summarily rejected the vB4 license, style, and pricing, and will be sticking with vB3?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Abomination View Post
    Unlike what vB is proposing Microsoft is still supplying security updates:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/up...s/default.aspx

For example this one
    MS09-046 Has a critical update for Windows 2000. It was updated on October 14th 2009.

Microsoft has several thousand people working on Windows. We have about 25 people working on vBulletin. There has to be reason. The support schedule here hasn't changed in roughly 5 years. We didn't even have security patches until 3.6.X. Before that you had to perform a complete upgrade. If your license wasn't up to date, you had to upgrade even if it was 3.5.1 to 3.5.2.

Leave a comment:

• ZippySLC
    replied
    Originally posted by tickedon View Post
    And vB will do the same here, for a while.

Support "information": http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320185

Once we have v4.0, v4.1, v4.2 (or v4.0, v4.1, v5.0) vb3 wouldn't be supported.
    By the time vB 4.1 or 4.2 comes out, 3.x will be very long in the tooth. How long do you think is a reasonable time to expect them to devote resources to keeping it secure?

Leave a comment:

• tickedon
    replied
    Originally posted by ZippySLC View Post
    vB still supported 2.x with security updates after 3.x came out.
    And vB will do the same here, for a while.

Support "information": http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320185

Once we have v4.0, v4.1, v4.2 (or v4.0, v4.1, v5.0) vb3 wouldn't be supported.

Leave a comment:

• ZippySLC
    replied
    Originally posted by Abomination View Post
    vB still supported 2.x with security updates after 3.x came out.

Leave a comment:

• tickedon
    replied
    Originally posted by Lord Jordan View Post
    Guys there is no need to worry about vB5 coming any time soon (5 years at the earliest) look how long vB4 has taken and thats just a vB3 edit.
    They changed what they wanted to do for vb4. It was meant to be a much bigger re-write. They are saving that for V5 now. They want to get their quickly.

While they've said 18 months, I agree that is perhaps too soon given the history, however, it's what they want to target.

Leave a comment:

• Shamil.
    replied
    Originally posted by Lord Jordan View Post
    Guys there is no need to worry about vB5 coming any time soon (5 years at the earliest) look how long vB4 has taken and thats just a vB3 edit.
    You obviously haven't fone through... from the Dragon's mouth:

I hope to be knocking on the door of vB5 in 18 months (said a few months back)/

Leave a comment:

• Lord Jordan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Abomination
    replied
    This thread indicates 3.6 was introduced August 2006
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268829

This thread indicates end of life for 3.6 for bug fixes was Oct 2008
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268829

So does that mean that the 3.6 version was supported 26 months? After which security patches would be provided, but no bug fixes?

Leave a comment:

• Abomination
    replied
    Originally posted by Mark.B View Post
    The EOL date *is* tied to vB5 so they cannot give you that.
    That makes no sense. Zero, Nada, Zilch.

They could maintain 4.x for 5 or even 10 years if they choose to, even if 10.x was out.

Leave a comment:

• Abomination
    replied
    Originally posted by Paul M View Post
    I was looking at Windows 7 the other day, then I thought, why should I pay Microsoft for a Win 7 licence -they wont tell me when Windows 8 is due ...
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/up...s/default.aspx

For example this one
    MS09-046 Has a critical update for Windows 2000. It was updated on October 14th 2009.

Leave a comment:

• kyrgyz
    replied
    Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
    So vB4.1, 4.2, 4.3, 4.4, etc. may all happen just a few MONTHS apart from each other.
    I hope it won't be so fast. Just upgrading between point releases to keep board current and secure for those with custom mods, skins, language, etc.. will be THE job.

Wasn't it mentioned here they expect only two or so point releases?

Leave a comment: