This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Suiram View Post
    Even in your sarcasm you are wrong. v4.x will one day no longer have ongoing support, sure, but you can run it as your last forum until you die.

Ninja Edit: NO WAY!!! Ray just about said what I just said, and I swear by all mighty God that I did not see his post. I used my email link to reply and the last post I saw before a refresh was rldoughjr's one. So yeah....
    No need to argue about it. Just go with the flow guys. You will get to see it tomorrow anyway and use it for the first time.
    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
    Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

• Originally posted by rldoughjr View Post
      Ray, can I get a credit for my 2 week old owned license against the deal the expired people get? Doing this one little thing for me and others similarly situated would end most of the grief you guys are getting on this upgrade deal. It would level the playing field for all and give you a fresh start.
      You won't have to pay for another license..... until your one expires..... meaning all the software upgrades are free for you.....
      I hope that helps you.
      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Suiram View Post
        Even in your sarcasm you are wrong. v4.x will one day no longer have ongoing support, sure, but you can run it as your last forum until you die.
        Of course you can run it "until the day you die" just as one can run 3.7 until one dies. That is of course without any support or security issue updates, etc. That has to be one of the most absurd comments I've read. Jeez...wake up! I can somewhat understand your commitment to vB but stop trying to lead members to what you conceive as being blind down a ignorant blind path. These members are for the most part are intelligent people who have legitimate concerns and doubts as to the path they are trying to be lead to but somehow you and many other just refuse to comprehend the ever so simplistic logistics of it all!

Comment

• Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
          No need to argue about it. Just go with the flow guys. You will get to see it tomorrow anyway and use it for the first time.
          Pray tell where did you out of everyone here get that inside information! Do you mean to tell me that it is being released tomorrow? If so, why did not one of the vB staff make this announcement and only you have it?

Comment

• Originally posted by shohin View Post
            Pray tell where did you out of everyone here get that inside information! Do you mean to tell me that it is being released tomorrow? If so, why did not one of the vB staff make this announcement and only you have it?
            It was officially announced few hours ago.
            http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1815619

Comment

• My humble apologies to schwab2clarkson for my comment. Well, time to take a look at it. Hey....it's about time!

Comment

• Originally posted by shohin View Post
                Make sure you read the announcements section before you post. That's what I do all the time. It helps you understand what is going on.

Originally posted by kyrgyz View Post
                Thanks for that. You beat me to it.
                Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

Thanks for that. You beat me to it.
                  Tomorrow there will be a third round of global *****ing. Get ready.
                  I might just disappear for a while. Don't have stomach for it anymore.

Comment

• Originally posted by kyrgyz View Post
                    I came back here after someone pinged me about this. I won't comment on the explanation that this preview is being shared with us in the generous spirit of good will and for the benefit of the customer, half way into this two week final offer period. What is interesting is as follows:

"Please note that this rollout will be an early beta release. By early, I mean really early, much earlier than betas have historically been rolled out on vb.com..."

While not directly stated, at least now I'm having an idea as to where vB 4 development is. I may have to decide whether to upgrade some licenses but at least I'm not on the other end. In the past we had a torrent of users typically asking "are we there yet?" I can't imagine what it will be like now that customers have prepaid.

With regard to what would help me? Seeing a raw, pre-release beta front end doesn't help me too much. I've been using vB for what I think is near 9 years but am not on the beta team and my request hasn't found a response. Makes it difficult to decide about transition since a move from a developed and integrated site to a whole new rewrite can take numerous months and is just a beast if you have to wait until release. I already have growing sites with integrations with other content management systems and need to work with the back end to see whether suite will be a suitable replacement and, if so, how that might be accomplished. Would enjoy ideas.
                    My law forum, lawyers and legal help site

Comment

Tomorrow there will be a third round of global *****ing. Get ready.
                      I might just disappear for a while. Don't have stomach for it anymore.
                      Doesn't surprise me. lol
                      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

• Originally posted by slinky View Post
                        With regard to what would help me? Seeing a raw, pre-release beta front end doesn't help me too much. I've been using vB for what I think is near 9 years but am not on the beta team and my request hasn't found a response. Makes it difficult to decide about transition since a move from a developed and integrated site to a whole new rewrite can take numerous months and is just a beast if you have to wait until release. I already have growing sites with integrations with other content management systems and need to work with the back end to see whether suite will be a suitable replacement and, if so, how that might be accomplished. Would enjoy ideas.
                        I am with you on that.

Some questions:

1. Was a real reason given to the long-time patrons like you as to why a beta testing was escalated to the hand-picked one?

2. How the lucky ones got selected to beta test vB4? Was it random? Based on a client's board size? I mean what was it?

3. Are the popular add-on developers among the privileged testers?

4. Does IB keep a track of how many existing customers opted out of upgrading for future statistical calculations. Was there a reference to a hard math at all to substantiate IB's transitional decisions?

5. Was there an internal assessment study on the impact of such drastic changes on existing large, medium and small boards?

Those are few questions I think a lot of people would like to get answers to. I mean paying customers wanna know where this company is standing right now and where it's heading to.

I guess we are gonna be told it's none of our business.

Originally posted by slinky View Post
                        how that might be accomplished. Would enjoy ideas.
                        I think you are out of luck on this one. You can only wait. Read the quote from the beta testing announcement:

Originally posted by Ray Morgan View Post
                        Those customers who were selected to join the beta program have been notified by email. If you did not receive an email, please don't PM me to ask if you were approved;
                        Last edited by kyrgyz; Wed 21st Oct '09, 9:35pm.

Comment

Doesn't surprise me. lol
                          Based on the last few days, I don't get surprised at nothing nomore!
                          Last edited by kyrgyz; Wed 21st Oct '09, 9:35pm.

Comment

Doesn't surprise me. lol
                            Here's a surprise. Some people here own several boards and also run things for clients, who also have several boards. In addition to your own budgets and time, you've got to be the good messenger and surprise clients with the good news that they will need to pay 3-400% more than they expected... and within 8 business days or pay even more later. Trust me, it's not fun personally nor being the messenger for software you've highly recommended when informing a client that they have to pay immediately what is almost the same fee again to prepay for the next version that is out at some point in the future. You can imagine the question that follows about the developer.

My point to you - I see both sides of the equation and am careful not to make comments that could seem to be insensitive to problems you may not have accounted for. Some people are very angry about this lightning quick demand and I certainly won't belittle their reasons for their grudge.

PS - I was curious to peek what's going on with the Carlton Blues but apparently I was banned from your forums without even visited them before...
                            Last edited by slinky; Wed 21st Oct '09, 9:36pm.

Comment

1. Was a real reason given to the long-time patrons like you as to why a beta testing was escalated to the hand-picked one to the detriment of many?
                              I don't recall receiving any emails. Regarding the rest of your questions, all valid. I don't know that any scientific thought was behind the reasoning and can't address, perhaps there was i don't know. Your email suggests it was "invitation only" but I wasn't invited to the dance. Requests to be on the beta team were to be private messaged to someone here who said he wasn't going to be responding to all requests. Wasn't impressed and may try to discuss it with some of the good people I've known for years here who are still here.

Was there an internal assessment study on the impact of such drastic changes on existing large, medium and small boards?

Those are few questions I think a lot of people would like to get answers to. I mean where this company is standing right now and where it's heading to.

I think we are out of luck on this one. We can only wait. Read the quote from beta testing announcement:
                              This is part of the problem and excellent points. As I and many others have continued integrating vB 3 with excellent third party software such as Wordpress (which is great for SEO and simple publishing), waiting to see what is up with version 4 when it comes out this decade may make it an impossible task to upgrade. As I mentioned, I'll see what I can do to get a personal response but the fun is still the same, notifying clients that they need to stop what they are doing and pull out their checkbook to pay again quickly for a product to be delivered at date uncertain. Anyways, I'm all out of comments and am, like you, awaiting to see what goes on here next.

Comment

• @ Zachery

You are saying that "Renewals have gone away" then why was it still available a few weeks ago when I renewed my license which would expire tomorrow the 23rd of October... The funny thing is that I do not even have any upgrade option available as most likely the license did not expire yet!

I will be upgrading to the suit as I will be paying more around this time next year and this is wrong in my view. It would not have mattered if the upgrade would cost the same as the suit now

So in the end I thrown away $40 for a license I will not be using...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X