If I purchase VB4 today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I purchase VB4 today

If I purchase vB4 right now for 195.00 clams, what do I get?

I'm assuming I get the latest 3.x version download-able immediately, then an upgrade to 4.0 when it goes gold. Is my assumption correct?

What about support for 4.0, does that go the distance all the way to 5.0 release?

Originally posted by LKS702 View Post
    If I purchase vB4 right now for 195.00 clams, what do I get?

I'm assuming I get the latest 3.x version download-able immediately, then an upgrade to 4.0 when it goes gold. Is my assumption correct?

What about support for 4.0, does that go the distance all the way to 5.0 release?
    You get 3.8.4 PL1 and below.

Your assumption is correct.

Support will degrade, with integral versions. ie. only supporting latest 3 releases at a time.

You only get vBulletin 4.0, and forum-based support.

When vb 5 comes out, you pay for vB 5, this should in 18 month's time.
    Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
    VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
    vBulletin Hosting and Services
    Server / Website Consultation

Comment

Originally posted by ct2k7 View Post
      I can't honestly believe VB5 would be out in 18 months after VB4's release. VB3 has been around for a long time (2004) and it would be just silly to release a whole other branch that quickly.
      To be updated...

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
        I can't honestly believe VB5 would be out in 18 months after VB4's release. VB3 has been around for a long time (2004) and it would be just silly to release a whole other branch that quickly.
        This will be not before 3 years.

Comment

Ray has already stated that the current time slot is 18 months. They're aiming at 18 months between major releases.

Comment

Ray has already stated that the current time slot is 18 months. They're aiming at 18 months between major releases.
            Yeah, they also planned on having a beta for 4.x out in the second quarter of this year. People should not state things as fact to new customers when they do not know them.
            HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!
            Disney Forums - Disney theme parks, vacation, entertainment, and more!
            iLoveTalk - Our general discussion forum.
            VeggieBoards - The largest and most active vegetarian forum!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael2 View Post
              Yeah, they also planned on having a beta for 4.x out in the second quarter of this year. People should not state things as fact to new customers when they do not know them.
              And they are also planning on releasing it this year.

Comment

In the past, they didn't have a pricing model that benefited them so greatly financially to release the next major version. Now they do. If they had the new model in place 5 years ago, surely 3.5 would have been called 4.0, no? And maybe 3.7 would have been called 5.0? With Jelsoft, major version numbers used to be based on the scope of the technical changes to the codebase. Now, it seems very likely that they'll be driven by the business decision makers.

Comment

Originally posted by jsharper View Post
                  In the past, they didn't have a pricing model that benefited them so greatly financially to release the next major version. Now they do. If they had the new model in place 5 years ago, surely 3.5 would have been called 4.0, no? And maybe 3.7 would have been called 5.0? With Jelsoft, major version numbers used to be based on the scope of the technical changes to the codebase. Now, it seems very likely that they'll be driven by the business decision makers.
                  If that is the case, then large forum owners will [likely] opt to keep what is stable, for as long as possible. If VB5 comes out in less than 3 years after VB4, we won't upgrade. We'll stick with VB4 and avoid redesigning/rewriting our stuff until we reach a stage where we feel it's time to bump our version to whatever the latest is at that time.

Other forum owners, with a lot of design work involved, I bet will feel the same way. We've personally been very happy with the length of the VB3 life.
                  To be updated...

Comment

In the past, they didn't have a pricing model that benefited them so greatly financially to release the next major version. Now they do.
                    True. But they can't even get vB4 out. I have little faith they'll be able to stick to an 18 month schedule for vB5 when vB4 beta is already 6 months past original estimates.
                    HBO Forum - Discuss Game of Thrones, True Blood, Big Love, Boardwalk Empire, and more!

Comment

I don't think you guys get what I am suggesting. I'm not suggesting that they will start cranking out more code faster or with lower quality or with greater haste or even do anything technically different at all than what they've done in the past. I'm just saying that they now have significantly increased financial incentive to take what may in the past have been a smallish update called 4.1 released, say, a year and a half after 4.0 and instead release that same thing in the same timeline but called 5.0. Same update, but new license now required.

Comment

I don't think you guys get what I am suggesting. I'm not suggesting that they will start cranking out more code faster or with lower quality or with greater haste or even do anything technically different at all than what they've done in the past. I'm just saying that they now have significantly increased financial incentive to take what may in the past have been a smallish update called 4.1 released, say, a year and a half after 4.0 and instead release that same thing in the same timeline but called 5.0. Same update, but new license now required.
                        Yeah, I posted on that a couple days ago. It's going to be the same thing every time. I mean, people are already complaining 4.x is nothing more than 3.9 (which I don't really agree with). This license scheme is going to be a PR nightmare, not just now but every time they try to release a new version, it'll never be enough because no one wants to pony up the money.

Comment

So even though I have 10 months left on my owned license I should purchase it now, ahead of time so that I get 8 more months for $130? Hmm..Is there a discount if we don't awnt suite and just want the series 4 forum?

Comment

Originally posted by locachica View Post
                            So even though I have 10 months left on my owned license I should purchase it now, ahead of time so that I get 8 more months for $130? Hmm..Is there a discount if we don't awnt suite and just want the series 4 forum?
                            No, the only discount available is for vBulletin 4 Suite.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X