No announcement yet.

So I'm thinking about getting vB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if i pay the 235 for the vb4 now, will i have to pay to upgrade it when it actually becomes available?

Comment

Originally posted by wtsnake View Post
      if i pay the 235 for the vb4 now, will i have to pay to upgrade it when it actually becomes available?
      No. You dont have to pay for VB 4X anytime for the lifetime. You will have to pay for VB 5.X if you decide to upgrade that too when it is release (not expected to be release before 2 years from now). You are always entitle to download 4.X for lifetime.

Comment

ok i see. thanks so much for your help. if i have anymore questions i will ask you

Comment

Originally posted by wtsnake View Post
          ok i see. thanks so much for your help. if i have anymore questions i will ask you
          PM me Only, Your thread might get buried somewhere.

Regards.

Comment

I have the same problem as you! I run NJStangers.com and have ran it with forumotion for over two years....have no idea how to transfer my domain over but I know this year they started to let you renew it through go daddy which means you own it.....transferring it over to vbullentin....I need help with.

I plan to do it within the next few weeks....now I have several questions just hope I don't overwhelm everyone.

For the price mentioned above:

1) Is the forum pre-made to where we can edit? Any other options please let me know
            2) Is godaddy the best way to host it?
            3) I plan on saving most of the data from that site whenever it works again and transferring it over....is that allowed? Can we put ads? I had American Muscle Ads on mine since most of my members buy from there?

4) Whose Typlo?

Thanks for all your help

Comment

Typlo is admin of forumotion forum. You must contact him to provide secret code for transfer from his account to your. You must sign up for godaddy account and then ask support staff of daddy to transfer it to your account.

Forum is totally customizable and you are free to keep ads, remove it. No force ad. This is professional forum. You have to pay only for license.

No one is best. I host at hostgator. Some host at godaddy. Although I have no heard about godaddy.

Comment

Thanks I appreciate that....now since the hosting used by free forums is godaddy....can I just get the domain transferred over to host gator when i ask him for the code or should i transfer it to godaddy first and then work on getting it to host gator?

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by edgespeeder06 View Post
                  Thanks I appreciate that....now since the hosting used by free forums is godaddy....can I just get the domain transferred over to host gator when i ask him for the code or should i transfer it to godaddy first and then work on getting it to host gator?

Thanks again
                  You can transfer it to anywhere. But remember, hosting and domain both are different things and can be managed easily without having both at one company. You can have domain at godaddy and hosting at hostgator.

You need to know how to set up nameserver, cname, or any other things. Most likely, it would be good for you to create account at godaddy and transfer it from forumotion. Then change nameserver to point at hostgator server. (ex. ns189.welcomehost.com).

But you must be aware what you are doing, since many still don't know how to do. I was in you place some 3 years back.

Comment

thanks I definitely didn't know all that....first time for me....but I have a few tech guys that might be able to help me and I'll learn as I go along to

Comment

im a friend of wtsnakes who is helping with the site and installation of the forums.

wtsnake downloaded an older version (4.0.3 beta) and I guess we're needing 4.0.4 beta? so I downloaded it, but we don't want to lose what we've already done with the existing vb forum, is it safe to just upload the new files and folders over the old ones? not sure how to go about this.

Comment

Originally posted by gonedigital View Post
                        im a friend of wtsnakes who is helping with the site and installation of the forums.

wtsnake downloaded an older version (4.0.3 beta) and I guess we're needing 4.0.4 beta? so I downloaded it, but we don't want to lose what we've already done with the existing vb forum, is it safe to just upload the new files and folders over the old ones? not sure how to go about this.
                        It's beta so there's always a chance of running into problems, you should be fine to run the upgrade.php script to the latest version without losing any data. It's always best to backup all your data before upgrading.
                        Xbox Fan-site: www.XboxCommunity.net

Xbox 360 Achievements: www.x360achievements.com

Comment

Originally posted by JVCode View Post
                          It's beta so there's always a chance of running into problems, you should be fine to run the upgrade.php script to the latest version without losing any data. It's always best to backup all your data before upgrading.
                          ok, so do I just unzip the file, and then transfer all of the directories via wsftp and overwrite them? or do I just upload certain directories and files?

Comment

Originally posted by gonedigital View Post
                            ok, so do I just unzip the file, and then transfer all of the directories via wsftp and overwrite them? or do I just upload certain directories and files?
                            Upload everything except install.php
                            run http://yourforum.com/yourforum/install/upgrade.php

That's all.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                              Upload everything except install.php
                              run http://yourforum.com/yourforum/install/upgrade.php

That's all.
                              thanks man! greatly appreciated. i'll let ya know how it goes.

Comment

Ok I transferred all the files from the vbulletinsuite_3-8-4_Patch_Level_1_VBSACA6A48.zip I downloaded, and I'm getting this error message. I removed the install.php file as directed in the posts above, and I'm getting this error message when I run the http://www.yoursite.com/forums/install/upgrade.php file.

any ideas? I can't even get the forums to come up anymore, all we're getting is a bunch of errors.

http://www.tnmustangclub.org/forums/

It is not possible to upgrade directly from vBulletin 2 to vBulletin versions 3.8.x and newer due to incompatabilities in data structures.

If you are currently running vBulletin 2 and would like to upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin, please begin by downloading a version of vBulletin 3.6 from the vBulletin Members' Area.

Upload the extracted files from the archive you download over the existing files here and run the upgrade process until it is complete.

After completing the upgrade process to 3.6.x, download the most recent version of vBulletin from the Members' area, and upload the extracted files here, then continue to run the upgrade process until it is completed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X