So I'm thinking about getting vB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I'm thinking about getting vB

My local club site (www.tnmustangclub.com) is really getting tired of the excessive problems with forumotion. I know its free so what can we expect. Well we have generated enough members that I think I want to upgrade to vB. But before I do that, I want to know if I can move over all of my information from there to here. I dont want to lose all of the members and their post counts and information. Could anyone give me some help on doing this or is there anywhere I should look for more tips? Thanks!

Originally posted by wtsnake View Post
    My local club site (www.tnmustangclub.com) is really getting tired of the excessive problems with forumotion. I know its free so what can we expect. Well we have generated enough members that I think I want to upgrade to vB. But before I do that, I want to know if I can move over all of my information from there to here. I dont want to lose all of the members and their post counts and information. Could anyone give me some help on doing this or is there anywhere I should look for more tips? Thanks!
    I have been at forumotion and it was not good experience. You need to be professional one now.

You can move nothing from forumotion to vbulletin. Forget that. Forumotion doesn't sell Database of your forum.

You have start it again. Although bad not too bad. If you have active members you can start it again. You can email all your member about change via Forumotion backhand admin panel.

Comment

It looks like the forum is PHPBB, so there is a very good importer available for the phpbb to vbulletin conversion. Problem is, being hosted by Forumotion - I am not sure if you are given enough access or full ownership of your database data.
      anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
      Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
      Please be my friend!
      http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
      vBulletin Performance Articles:
      Click here to read

Comment

Originally posted by IBxAnders View Post
        It looks like the forum is PHPBB, so there is a very good importer available for the phpbb to vbulletin conversion. Problem is, being hosted by Forumotion - I am not sure if you are given enough access or full ownership of your database data.
        They don't give access when I last checked. I was with them since they started.

Comment

So I guess it would be useless for me to ask them for access right?

Comment

and what about my url? i have to keep that

Comment

So I guess it would be useless for me to ask them for access right?
              its useless to think even. They don't provide I am sure.

You have to get host for that. Host will cost around 80$ a year for you.

I don't got your url part. You mean url with forumotion or vbulletin. If forumotion, it can be changed if you have purchase domain not with forumotion otherwise I don't know how to acquire back domain from forumotion.

P.S. - I know your position, as I was also unaware about everything before 2 years.

Comment

great....now i dont know what to do

Comment

great....now i dont know what to do
                  Ok. Let me know first from where you buy the domain for your forum.
                  Last edited by crichighlights; Thu 15 Oct '09, 9:08am.

Comment

Originally posted by crichighlights View Post
                    Ok. Let me know first from where buy the domain for your forum.

im not sure i understand what you are saying

Comment

im not sure i understand what you are saying
                      How did you buy the domain which you are using now at forumotion. Because if you have purchase from godaddy or from somewhere else, it would be easy to install vbulletin. If you have purchase from Forumotion, I think you will need to contact them to get back you domain rights.

Comment

Yes I purchased it from forumotion. I wish I would have used godaddy.

Comment

I know there is a delete forum option on forumotion. So would it be best to go ahead and get vB and get everything set up and then delete the forumotion one and swap to the vB one?

Comment

You should ask forumotion, about how to get back the domain. I have no idea, as I didn't saw any such issue coming up when I was at forumotion support forum.

Comment

I just asked them what I will do about my domain when I swap to vB. I believe if I give the members enough warning, I wont lose many when I swap over.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X