Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paying $130 for the suite will give you an extra product

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    MGSteve, that's why my statement preface included "not all."

    You have a valid complaint, I think. And it's probably one that vBulletin should address. But if I may play the devil's advocate for a moment, if you had known that the new version had blog software included (and I believe early descriptions of vB4 did indicate that, but I may be dreaming), would you have waited, or even been able to wait? Needs are different for different sites obviously.

    A smarter way of going about this licensing mess would have been offering the new license terms to those who renewed in, say, the last 6 months at the time of renewal. I had just renewed my two sites a couple of months ago, so I do feel some of your pain. I knew vB4 was coming, but there was no indication of a change in licensing.

    Comment


    • #17
      Anyone who tells you that vBulletin no longer has renewals is lying to you. It's just renewal has been changed to version releases.

      vB4 upgrade is $175.
      vB5 upgrade is probably also $175.

      If those happen within an 18-24 month period, then you are paying nearly $400 for vBulletin. How is that not a renewal?
      Last edited by feldon23; Thu 15 Oct '09, 7:27am.

      Comment


      • #18
        You have left out the $80 a year for support!

        Comment


        • #19
          So does this mean if I am running vb3 board and I purchase the vb4 product ---- My license for vb3 is valid and separate from the license for the vb4?

          If the above is correct, does this mean that I can run both the vb3 and the vb4 board simultaneously as separate boards?

          Or if the above is not correct, does this mean that once I purchase the vb4 product that my vb3 is no longer valid and in effect my vb3 board will merge into and become one with my vb4 in effect cannot run a vb3 board with my current license and a vb4 board with the new license simultaneously?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Webber View Post
            So does this mean if I am running vb3 board and I purchase the vb4 product ---- My license for vb3 is valid and separate from the license for the vb4?

            If the above is correct, does this mean that I can run both the vb3 and the vb4 board simultaneously as separate boards?

            Or if the above is not correct, does this mean that once I purchase the vb4 product that my vb3 is no longer valid and in effect my vb3 board will merge into and become one with my vb4 in effect cannot run a vb3 board with my current license and a vb4 board with the new license simultaneously?
            I asked that very question about 3 hours ago via a support ticket, no answer yet. I will update your when I get one.

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by MGSteve View Post
              What I object to is being sold a product (VB Blogs) and then within 12 months finding out that its obsolete and I have to pay for the suite which includes CMS which I don't need, just to get the blog functionality back.
              This is my problem as well. I bought the blog addon some months ago to integrate into my vBulletin forum. It has worked well and members are using it. But now, if I want to upgrade to the vBulletin 4.0 forum (the free option), then I will lose all my blogs. I unfortunately don't have the $130 to fork out for the suite right now, but I also want to keep my community on the forefront of technology with vBulletin 4.0 forum. Why lose the blogs when upgrading? It makes no sense whatsoever!

              I have also asked about this problem here, but still waiting on a response.
              Last edited by Loki12; Thu 15 Oct '09, 1:58pm.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Ian99 View Post
                According to a quoted reply by Wayne Luke to a support ticket. Anyone purchasing the $130 'upgrade', is not actually upgrading, but getting a whole new product.
                Honestly, I don't see the new products here. You get a forum. I already paid for this. You get a blog. I already paid for this. And you get es simple CMS. I don't need this as I use Typo3, which is much more powerfull.

                Great, you might say, just take the VB4 FORUM and not the VB4 SUITE. But hey, I need the blog! And the blog is discontinued. So I am forced to buy the VB4 SUITE. I have to pay AGAIN for the forum and AGAIN for the blog.

                So, it's up to me to decide. Here are my options:

                a) buy now and pay less for the VB4 SUITE. Honestly, no good idea. VB4 is far from being ready, there is no roadmap, there is no beta, nothing. Just a few screenshots.
                b) buy later and pay the full price. The same price as a completely new customer. Well, this sucks. I was a loyal customer for years and now feel like an idiot.
                c) Say goodbye and move to another forum system like IPB, WBB or PHPBB.

                At the moment I prefer option c. I will not pay for anything, which I can not be sure it will be released. And Jelsoft already made clear, they will not refund. So, maybe I pay now and get VB4 in a year. And I will definitely not pay the full price again. If you ask me, they are short on money. And this is a clear sign for me, to search for another company, which I can trust again.

                Comment

                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X