Paying $130 for the suite will give you an extra product

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying $130 for the suite will give you an extra product

According to a quoted reply by Wayne Luke to a support ticket. Anyone purchasing the $130 'upgrade', is not actually upgrading, but getting a whole new product.

Therefore you must be able to run both VB3 and VB4, as it is not an upgrade, but a new product.

This certainly makes the pain a lot less.

Why did IB not make this clear?

Thank you for contacting vBulletin Support. As stated on the forums the $130 Suite purchase is not a renewal. It is the presale price for a completely new product offering. Purchasing this is optional. If you wish we can process a refund for the Suite and you can continue using your leased license until it expires. At that point you would be able to upgrade to vBulletin 4.0 Forums for $175.00 or vBulletin 4.0 Suite for $250.00. If you don't wish to upgrade the license at that time, you would need to remove the software from your server.

Please let us know how you want to proceed.

All the best,
    Wayne Luke

It's a new product, but the upgrade is converting your existing license into a new license, so the rest of your post is incorrect.

Comment

Can't be both - it is not a renewal - Wayne makes that clear - it is a new product.

You are not part exchanging your old product - no mention of that.

Comment

You're buying a different product, but not a separate one.
        MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.1 Demo
        AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

Great another thread! wow.

Comment

Its horse-****.

I think its the same for current owned licenses as well.
            Last edited by Blackbook; Thu 15th Oct '09, 4:07am.
            It's an omen...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian99 View Post
              Can't be both - it is not a renewal - Wayne makes that clear - it is a new product.

You are not part exchanging your old product - no mention of that.
              Except yes, you are. You are upgrading a license into a new license, which is not the same as a renewal, which would be extending the date on your current license. The old license is exchanged for the new license.

Originally posted by Blackbook View Post
              Its horse-****.
              Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread.

Comment

One thing that's being overlooked is that future 'add-ons' within the 4.0 series will be free for suite license holders. VB have already stated that they have some things in the pipeline.
                Pleased Sheep Films - Independent Filmmakers
                Blackburn Web - an online community for Blackburn in Lancashire (thanks to Mark B for the tips)

Comment

Originally posted by Booth View Post
                  One thing that's being overlooked is that future 'add-ons' within the 4.0 series will be free for suite license holders. VB have already stated that they have some things in the pipeline.
                  Sadly my expectation is that this "pipeline" will emerge in vB5. I have no expectation of any addons coming out for 4.x. They will keep them back for 5.x to encourage yet more cash coming in.

Remember where you read it first!

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbook View Post
                    Its horse-****.
                    What is? Do you mean all these WHINING threads? Yes, I agree!

Comment

I'm sure I'm going to catch a lot of heat over this, but nonetheless...

I am an I.T. person by trade. As such, I've seen the real need for keeping software up to date, security high, and users informed. The software I use in my work (and home) is kept up-to-date, both operating system and application. That doesn't come cheap, but I've dealt with situations where someone did not do so, and the recovery, when even possible, was a helluva lot more expensive. Even more importantly, the time consumed by recovery was time I didn't have a lot of.

I'm guessing here, but I think a lot (not all) of the people pissing and moaning about having to pony up for a new version are the same people that are running unlicensed software on their computers, or that use nothing but open-source software. Nothing wrong with the latter, but having made my living from writing software, I take exception to the former.

If you want to use open-source, or cheap software, that's certainly your prerogative. You assume the inherent problems associated with that, if any. Some open-source is amazingly good, some expensive software amazingly bad. But at least when you pay for something, you have rights, because you paid for those rights. If you want a free ride, you have to just suck it up.

JelSoft/IB could have handled this much better than they did, there is no doubt. And the information is way too slow coming out. No expected release date is a bit scary. Not knowing if there will be any additional work on vB3.x to keep it safe is scary. Wayne Luke, you and your people have a mess to clean up, and better information to present.

For me, the $130 for the Suite is a good deal, and I've got two sites that I'll be buying for. But folks, I'm in it for my livelihood. If you're in it just for fun, you don't need to be playing with the big kids.

Comment

Originally posted by thbertram View Post
                        I'm guessing here, but I think a lot (not all) of the people pissing and moaning about having to pony up for a new version are the same people that are running unlicensed software on their computers, or that use nothing but open-source software. Nothing wrong with the latter, but having made my living from writing software, I take exception to the former.
                        Blimey, talk about a generalisation!

I think you'll find that the majority here PAID for their VB license (I sure have for the past 7 years) and as a software developer myself, I have no qualms about paying for it).

What I object to is being sold a product (VB Blogs) and then within 12 months finding out that its obsolete and I have to pay for the suite which includes CMS which I don't need, just to get the blog functionality back.
                        Regards

Steve.
                        www.mg-rover.org - Forum for MG and Rover owners everywhere!
                        85k users and 4million posts & growing.

Comment

I'm sure I'm going to catch a lot of heat over this, but nonetheless...

I am an I.T. person by trade. As such, I've seen the real need for keeping software up to date, security high, and users informed. The software I use in my work (and home) is kept up-to-date, both operating system and application. That doesn't come cheap, but I've dealt with situations where someone did not do so, and the recovery, when even possible, was a helluva lot more expensive. Even more importantly, the time consumed by recovery was time I didn't have a lot of.

If you want to use open-source, or cheap software, that's certainly your prerogative. You assume the inherent problems associated with that, if any. Some open-source is amazingly good, some expensive software amazingly bad. But at least when you pay for something, you have rights, because you paid for those rights. If you want a free ride, you have to just suck it up.

JelSoft/IB could have handled this much better than they did, there is no doubt. And the information is way too slow coming out. No expected release date is a bit scary. Not knowing if there will be any additional work on vB3.x to keep it safe is scary. Wayne Luke, you and your people have a mess to clean up, and better information to present.

For me, the $130 for the Suite is a good deal, and I've got two sites that I'll be buying for. But folks, I'm in it for my livelihood. If you're in it just for fun, you don't need to be playing with the big kids.
                          $130 is also a good deal if you're in it for fun...which just about swings it for me. BUT not everyone is in that boat, many people are being royally shafted.

Comment

How dare you accuse me and others of running unlicensed software.

Please retract your accusations now.

You and your fellow supporters have sunk to a new low.

Comment

OP brings up a very good point. See attached screen shot. I blurred out the license numbers, but they are two different numbers. Additionally, it required me to put in new license information for publishing suite. In my case, I just used the same, but I had the option of doing something completely different.

The wording use by Ray in addition to the steps you take when you make the purchase alludes to a second license.
                              Attached Files

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X