Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leased Licensees being FORCED to upgrade to 4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leased Licensees being FORCED to upgrade to 4?

According to the FAQ, this is the case, in which case I for one find this TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.

I have the blogs add on for 3.8.x and I object to paying for the Suite to get the blogs functionality when I'll NEVER EVER make use of the CMS system.

So as it stands right now, unless you add the ability to upgrade to a Forums+Blogs option (without CMS) for a reduced price, I don't want to upgrade.

Except you're forcing me to upgrade because you're terminating the leased license system.

Well, you're forcing me to do one thing and that's to look around for alternatives.

Forcing your will onto members is NOT acceptable.

It also seems a little odd that you'd cut off what must be a good earner for you. The leased licenses provided a good annual income to you - the only way you'd get this with the new model is to release a major version of the software every 12 months.

Then to upgrade we'd be effectively be paying $195 a year instead of the $99 I think it was. Although you say 'discounts for next version upgrades', but you don't say what they are, they could be $1 for all we know.

Interestingly you list a 'Total Value: $495' on your website for the suite cost, where do you get that price from seeing as you can't buy the modules separately?
    Last edited by MGSteve; Thu 15 Oct '09, 4:28am. Reason: typo in thread title.
    Regards

Steve.
    www.mg-rover.org - Forum for MG and Rover owners everywhere!
    85k users and 4million posts & growing.

I also presume that if I do buy a license in the suite that I get a pro-rata refund for the unused months left on the leased license then?

Otherwise I'm paying twice....
    Regards

Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by MGSteve View Post
      I also presume that if I do buy a license in the suite that I get a pro-rata refund for the unused months left on the leased license then?

No, you don't. I'm in the same boat.
      A disgrace, and they have us over a barrel.
      MARK.B | vBULLETIN SUPPORT

TalkNewsUK - My vBulletin 5.6.3 Demo
      AdminAmmo - My Cloud Demo

Comment

I think you are no longer considered a customer

It is pay up or go elsewhere

Comment

I sniff a class action.....

Especially if you've just purchased a leased license, I'd be livid, as it is mine expire early 2010, but its the principle.

I actually think it comes over as 'Desperation'. They're asking people to pre order software that they haven't actually seen running, its probably a good 6-12 months away from going 'gold' (going by previous releases, not to mention the scale of the re-write done) and they're asking for money up front. There's usually only one reason why a company would do this and it is NEVER, EVER good.
          Regards

Steve.

Comment

I sniff a class action.....

Especially if you've just purchased a leased license, I'd be livid, as it is mine expire early 2010, but its the principle.
            Same here, mine expires Feb 2010, but I had no contingency funds for license renewals until then. Now suddenly, I either find £85/$130 or I basically have to shut the site in feb because I certainly cannot find the full price.

So I've had to rush out a begging letter for donations, something I am religiously opposed to doing and makes me look like I can't manage the site's financing. This whole thing is a complete debacle and I'm extremely cross about it.

Comment

I sent this to support...

My site license (leased) expired on Oct 14th. Today. I paid for the new license in advance a couple of days ago. Now Im being asked to pay again to upgrade to VB4.0 for $130.

If I had of waited to today to pay my license it would still technically be in date and I would have saved myself the money from the first renewal which I paid in advance.

Is there anybody that can help me as I feel it is unfair to pay 2 renewals/upgrades within the space of 3 or 4 days!?
              And got this reply..

Thank you for contacting vBulletin Support. As stated on the forums the $130 Suite purchase is not a renewal. It is the presale price for a completely new product offering. Purchasing this is optional. If you wish we can process a refund for the Suite and you can continue using your leased license until it expires. At that point you would be able to upgrade to vBulletin 4.0 Forums for $175.00 or vBulletin 4.0 Suite for $250.00. If you don't wish to upgrade the license at that time, you would need to remove the software from your server.

Please let us know how you want to proceed.

All the best,
              Wayne Luke
              www.thefewgoodmen.com

Comment

wtf?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane Greer View Post
                  I sent this to support...

And got this reply..

Thank you for contacting vBulletin Support. As stated on the forums the $130 Suite purchase is not a renewal. It is the presale price for a completely new product offering. Purchasing this is optional. If you wish we can process a refund for the Suite and you can continue using your leased license until it expires. At that point you would be able to upgrade to vBulletin 4.0 Forums for $175.00 or vBulletin 4.0 Suite for $250.00. If you don't wish to upgrade the license at that time, you would need to remove the software from your server.

Please let us know how you want to proceed.

All the best,
                  Wayne Luke
                  Very interesting. If it is a new product and NOT and upgrade anyone purchasing it must be able to use both VB3 and VB4 at the same time.

Comment

Leased licenses are discontinued and your current license terms will be honored until they naturally expire. What is so hard to understand about that?

Comment

Originally posted by squall14716 View Post
                      Leased licenses are discontinued and your current license terms will be honored until they naturally expire. What is so hard to understand about that?
                      Don't be so patronising. It isn't hard to understand, it's hard to accept. Not the same thing.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X