Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

vs. ipb???

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • vs. ipb???

    ok, i'm done complaining. i wish, as a 2 site expired license holder i would get a decent discount to stay home with vbulletin. but that's not going to happen.

    so brass tacks.

    how does this unknown quantity do vs ipb??

    http://www.invisionpower.com/

    ipb pros: looks pretty nice, ready now, for me same price

    cons: ??

    seriously, help me out.

  • #2
    IPB is **** basically, i came from IP to come to vB and i can tell you, the backend admin panel is very basic and offers virtually nothing in terms of customisation or flexibility which vBulletin has offered you.
    My Forums - A Forum dedicated to the horror films comprising the George A. Romero "Dead" series of films, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead.

    Comment


    • #3
      thanks andy, these are the things i need to know.
      have a demo email coming to poke around.

      Comment


      • #4
        I've used IPB, it's one of the better but not as flexible and missing a few features, vb has a very good hacking/mod community. But to ask about it here... I would ask about such things on a neutral board.

        Comment


        • #5
          you will not have any real pro about IPB here, you're on their competitor's ground...
          oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

          Comment


          • #6
            ZombieAndy.

            Is full of crap. IPB has updated their admin panel in 3.0 series. Not to mention they offer 1st party Gallery addons as well as other projects like chat, links, downloads, etc. Not to mention they go further with addons like IP.Converge. I suggest you use the demo at IPB and judge for yourself. I for one love my IPB.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by nexialys View Post
              you will not have any real pro about IPB here, you're on their competitor's ground...
              understood. and i meant it as no disrespect to vbulletin. i like vbulletin.
              i have to say honestly, that when i got the email about $130 upgrade i was interested and if i could play with it i might have bought it on the spot. i have expired license, not expired blog and another expired license. i was ok with the 130. but thats not the case, so thats why other options come to mind.

              it is what it is.

              Comment


              • #8
                The best thing is keep an eye out for that email and try it out for yourself. Does it have all the bells and whistles of vB? No.

                Ask yourself and analyze your needs... do you NEED all that functionality? One of the biggest pitfalls about IPB before was the lack of a strong hook system which vB had. Now they both have it. You'll have a different modding community backing you, which I still say vB wins in, despite devs dropping support sometimes.

                The fact remains that both vB and IPB are well-developed pieces of software. Both of them work strongly and can support many business models. You need to see what sort of niche functions you absolutely need and go from there.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by CastBuzz View Post
                  The best thing is keep an eye out for that email and try it out for yourself. Does it have all the bells and whistles of vB? No.

                  Ask yourself and analyze your needs... do you NEED all that functionality? One of the biggest pitfalls about IPB before was the lack of a strong hook system which vB had. Now they both have it. You'll have a different modding community backing you, which I still say vB wins in, despite devs dropping support sometimes.

                  The fact remains that both vB and IPB are well-developed pieces of software. Both of them work strongly and can support many business models. You need to see what sort of niche functions you absolutely need and go from there.
                  Agree 100% - You have to look at what works for you, not what everyone else tells you to do. For us, VB is where we are staying... if there was not such a strong modification support community, it would be much easier for us to look at something else. If the landscape of 3rd party development changes drastically, in a bad way, we'd probably be looking at converting to something different, with a strong community similar to VB.org.
                  To be updated...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Shelby View Post
                    ZombieAndy.

                    Is full of crap. IPB has updated their admin panel in 3.0 series. Not to mention they offer 1st party Gallery addons as well as other projects like chat, links, downloads, etc. Not to mention they go further with addons like IP.Converge. I suggest you use the demo at IPB and judge for yourself. I for one love my IPB.
                    Apologies if i somehow offended you, i only speak from my own experience of working with IPB which was, admittedly, a few years ago.

                    I switched my forums to vBulletin and never looked back, even now with the vB4 scandal in full swing, i still wont be switching.
                    My Forums - A Forum dedicated to the horror films comprising the George A. Romero "Dead" series of films, Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead, Land of the Dead, Diary of the Dead and Survival of the Dead.

                    Comment

                    widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X