v4.0 Suite Upgrade - Owned Licensed Non Active

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v4.0 Suite Upgrade - Owned Licensed Non Active

Since buying a new license is less expensive ($235 New vs $250 upgrade), if I select New for $235, will I get a new Customer Number and new separate License (basically, I will own 3.8 and 4.0 Suite)?

Or, is this basically a work around for getting the upgrade for $15 less (and your system will use the same Customer Number)?

If this is a New License with a new Customer Number, what will happen if I try to install v4.0 Suite over an exisiting 3.8 installation with the old Customer Number?

My 3.7/3.7 License (non Active for Forum) has Blog and Projects (both say Active in my Account).

I'm wondering the same thing. Why is it cheaper to get a brand new license than to renew your existing expired license ?

Comment

Well, that has been posted a lot already.. but, I do want to know if I am basically going to own two vBulletin Licenses, my old/original one and v4.0 vB Suite or not.

Comment

it takes the discount off once u click on it

Comment

Not for me, I have to either pay the $250 or go elsewhere, which it looks like I will be going elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Markos1977 View Post
            it takes the discount off once u click on it
            That's only if your Forum License is "Active" in your Member Account.

This Thread is for Owned - Non Active

Comment

Per VBulletin Tech Support....

Hello,

Thank you for contacting vBulletin Support. The upgrade pricing of $130.00 is available to current active licenses at this time. As your license expired in July, it is not eligible for this special upgrade pricing. You will be able to continue using your current software indefinitely and receive forum support until it is announced as end of life.

To upgrade to the suite, it would cost $250.00 at this time.

All the best,
              Wayne Luke
              vBulletin Sales and Support
              By the looks of it, unless your license is still "Active" you have to pay the full upgrade price. You don't even have the option to renew your license to take advantage of the discounts. To me this is a very poor showing by Jelsoft as VBulletin owners in general should be allowed to have the pricing regardless as to whether or not their license is active. We still paid full price to purchase our license and now we have to pay full price a second time for the new software sham they have going on. Sorry to say but Invision's got my money on this one.

Comment

I understand, but I would like to keep this Thread on subject for the OP (me)

You have two options (while you are logged into your Member Account)

• Upgrade $250 (no discount)
                • New $235

However, it's not clear to me if we choose New for $235, if we will actually own 2 Licenses, 1 for our original 3.7/3.8 and 1 for v4.0 Suite...

Second, if we would have two Licenses (2 Customer Numbers?), what will happen if he try to install v4.0 Suite (with one Customer Number) over the top of an existing 3.7/3.8 (with our 1st Customer Number).

I'm hoping a vB Staff will reply and clarify.

Comment

I have the answer to the original question because I did exactly what you are asking about.

I had an expired license and purchased a new license this morning for $235 (instead of upgrading for $250). When you do this you will get a new license number, but you will retain the same customer number. When you log in to the member area (with your same old customer number and same old password), you will see two licenses listed. One will be the expired license and one will be the new license.

Please note that if you pay with PayPal (not sure what happens if you pay directly with a credit card) there will probably be a time lapse before you see the new license in your member area. I purchased very early this morning and received my receipt/info from vBulletin in the early afternoon. Then when I logged in to the member area my new license was there.
                  .:. Donna .:.

Comment

I spoke to Jake in Sales,

As you said, if you select New, you would have 2 Licenses - you can run 2 Forums (2 different sites) or 1 Forum and 1 Suite (on 2 different sites).

He said there should be no problem installing with a new License over the top of an another License.

He also mentioned that the New/Upgrade Price difference will most likely be changed, however he's wasn't sure if which will go up/down.

Comment

It seems like we'll be able to upgrade, not yet though:
                      This shows up under the upgrade panel but grayed out:

vBulletin 4.0 Forums - $175 (Coming Soon !)

Comment

OK - i have to say i am in the same boat and vB is making this entire situation waayyy too complicated.

I have an owned license but it became inactive in February.

I didn't renew it then because I was waiting to see if an upgrade was going to come out soon (as with most people - why pay to renew when it seems to take forever for updates to come out and those months are just lost), I have always renewed when a major point version was released - I least felt I was getting my money's worth that way.

Anyway - I get an email saying i am eligible to upgrade to the suite for $130 so I figure now was a good time to upgrade. After logging in, I see no discounts, no $130 option - just the upgrade for $250.

As others have stated - why do new licenses get a discount but people who have purchased and supported the product in the past get - in essence - screwed over?

I almost felt better NOT knowing any of this. How can vB so secretive about everything in relation to v4 and then when they do release info - have it be so messed up? i understand wanting to get people interested in the new suite - but do so with some sort of organization - not rolling out info that changes every five minutes because you weren't ready. This makes it seem like vB is being run terribly and doesn't give me much faith in v4. Hate to but might need to look elsewhere...

Comment

They Posted that you will get the option to "Upgrade" your current License (though expired maintenance) to v4.0 Suite for $190.

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=320542
                          Pre-Sale offer for customers with expired licenses
                          Due to an overwhelming response and interest in the pre-sale event for vBulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite, we've decided to extend an offer to those customers with inactive licenses.

For licenses that expired in the last 12 months, we are offering an extra $45 discount for advance ordering, in addition to the publicly available pre-sale savings of $50. This means the all new vB 4.0 Publishing Suite will cost you only $190, a total savings of $95.

For licenses that expired more than 12 month ago, we are offering an extra $25 discount for advance ordering, in addition to the publicly available pre-sale savings of $50. This means the all new vB 4.0 Publishing Suite will cost you only $210, a total savings of $75.

These limited time offers expire on October 30, 2009. Beginning on October 31, the price will be $285.

You will be able to take advantage of this offer in the next couple of days - we are currently working to make it an option in your shopping cart. We will notify you once this offer is live on the website.
                          That is basically the same price you would have paid a day before the v4.0 Suite Announcement, which would be:

• $ 60 to renew
                          • $130 to upgrade to v4.0 Suite

Now, if you had renewed before the end of your expiration, you could have saved $30 (renew for $30 vs $60).

Comment

Originally posted by turbe View Post

That is basically the same price you would have paid a day before the v4.0 Suite Announcement, which would be:

• $ 60 to renew
                            • $130 to upgrade to v4.0 Suite

Now, if you had renewed before the end of your expiration, you could have saved $30 (renew for $30 vs $60).
                            Well - that makes me feel a little bit better. And the new vB4 license is good until v5 comes out, right - if I have read everything correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by ShadoeWolfe View Post
                              And the new vB4 license is good until v5 comes out, right - if I have read everything correctly?
                              The vB4 Suite License is good forever (including all v4.x upgrades)... you just won't get free Upgrades to vB5 (you will need to purchase an upgrade or new License).

Indefinite software license
                              You can continue to use vB4 even after vB5 is released (or choose to pay to upgrade to vB5).

Even today, many prefer MS XP to Vista and maybe even the upcoming Windows 7 (they choose to not pay and upgrade)
                              Last edited by turbe; Fri 16 Oct '09, 2:22pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X