A calm question for the powers that be

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A calm question for the powers that be

I know you've already explained this a hundred times over here, but I still can't wrap my brain around it.

I have a current license through February 2010.
    I always do professional upgrades.
    I want to upgrade to the suite package before the end of October.

How much will the entire cost be? New package/new license/professional upgrade?

After that, how much will each new license/professional upgrade cost, and how frequently do you expect that I'll have to pay?

It's very important to have this precise information to share with my forum members in determining whether we have the funds to go forward. If you could spell out the dollars in your reply I'd really appreciate it. Please don't direct me elsewhere.

Many thanks for your patience and great product.

BUMP

A courtesy of a reply would be appreciated.

Comment

You are taking professional upgrade too, so its nothing but sad news for you.

You have to pay 130$ for upgrading to Suite. - This will give you access to lifetime for 4.X Version.

You dont have to pay yearly 40 $ Fee.

Suppose if VB 5 comes out in the next 2 Years, you will again have to pay 250$.

Professional Upgrade will always cost you 150$ if I remember.

I don't think professional upgrade is in your interest as it increases cost for no reason. You always need to just replace files in the server and everything works.

So finally your cost will be.

130$ + 150$ as of now. for VB 4.X version. As new version will be quite buggy, either you have option of upgrading yourself or give VB team 150$ for every upgrade. (Consider upgrade every month for 1 year atleast) This is no way similar to 3.8 version which were mostly stable and never needed upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Jo-Ann View Post
        I know you've already explained this a hundred times over here, but I still can't wrap my brain around it.

I have a current license through February 2010.
        I always do professional upgrades.
        I want to upgrade to the suite package before the end of October.

How much will the entire cost be? New package/new license/professional upgrade?

After that, how much will each new license/professional upgrade cost, and how frequently do you expect that I'll have to pay?

It's very important to have this precise information to share with my forum members in determining whether we have the funds to go forward. If you could spell out the dollars in your reply I'd really appreciate it. Please don't direct me elsewhere.

Many thanks for your patience and great product.

As per FAQ http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=faq#top

I get Forum 4.0 as an existing customer but I want to convert the license to the vBulletin Publishing Suite- what are my options?

During the pre-sale event, you can convert to the vBulletin Publishing Suite for $130.

After the pre-sale event, you can convert your license to the vBulletin Publishing Suite for $250.

If you wait until your license expires, a new license costs $285.
        Branding free and professional upgrade/install prices remain the same (as you see when you go through with ordering), so

during pre-sale period
        1. upgrade to vB4 suite = US$130
        2. professional upgrade = US$150 unchanged price from 3.8.x to 4.0 suite
        3. Are you asking new license as in for a new separate forum/domain ? If so during pre-sale = US$235

You'll get free updates/fixes for life of vB 4.x suite minor version updates and won't pay anymore until (unless you pay for professional upgrades at US$150 per instance) vB 5.x comes out and you want to upgrade to that whenever vB 5.x comes not date right now.
        :: Always Back Up Forum Database + Attachments BEFORE upgrading !
        :: Nginx SPDY SSL - World Flags Demo [video results]
        :: vBulletin hacked forums: Clean Up Guide for VPS/Dedicated hosting users [ vbulletin.com blog summary ]

Comment

Also, VB Suite not going to come before January 2010, IMO.

Comment

Hey Jo-Ann,

This is how I understand it:

If vB 4.0 goes gold before your licence runs out then you can get a free upgrade for Forums for 4.0.

A small bit on contention is around this free upgrade, as this is only for version 4.0 and does not include any minor point issues, security updates or maintenance; for that you will have to purchase a new licence

http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=14

However, if your licence runs out before it goes gold you will need to purchase a brand new licence for Forums - $195

So, if you plan on using just forums, then at some point you will need to purchase a new licence if you want any security updates or bug fixes.

Therefore, if you own your current licence (rather than lease) you might as well just keep this and purchase a new fresh Forums 4.0 licence.

Onto the Suite and the "special" offer.

You can, if you want, benefit from a discounted pre-sale price for an upgrade to vB suite whilst your current licence is active - $130

If you want to upgrade to vB suite after the pre-sale period it will cost you $285

All of these licences are for a version of the software, so for version 4.0+

Once version 5 comes out, you will need to purchase a new licence.

There is currently no release date for version 4.0.

I hope that is a little bit clearer for you.

Please remember, this is as I currently understand it and you take this advice at your own risk.

If a member of vB staff could come on and clarify/shoot me down, then please feel free.

Comment

Well I took so long in typing that post, a vB team member has already replied!

<brain to fast for fingers>

Comment

yes and one of the staff's post clearly mention "We are like putting you in risk"

Comment

Originally posted by crichighlights View Post
                  Also, VB Suite not going to come before January 2010, IMO.
                  I'm not expecting it as a final 4.0 release until at least March / April.
                  Regards

Steve.
                  www.mg-rover.org - Forum for MG and Rover owners everywhere!
                  85k users and 4million posts & growing.

Comment

Originally posted by MGSteve View Post
                    I'm not expecting it as a final 4.0 release until at least March / April.
                    I mean Beta Release. Till now, only VB 4 Classic has been released for Alpha users.

Comment

Whilst Jelsoft's pricing for professional upgrading is reasonable and guaranteed, you might be able to save some money by seeing if your hosts can apply upgrades.

My new hosting company kindly offers free upgrade[s] for vBulletin as part of the service, and I'm sure many hosts would do it if paid. So far I've always upgraded myself and major upgrades rarely take longer than 40 minutes, if that. The only paranoid imperative is to make a number of backups first.

Comment

Thank you all very much for your responses. I think I have finally figured out how to do simple upgrades, which might make a difference in my overall decision.

I will also contact my webhost and see whether they offer them for us poor, pitiful, technically challenged folks.

Comment

I mean Beta Release. Till now, only VB 4 Classic has been released for Alpha users.
                          Not true. Alpha testers have gotten the Suite also.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                          vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                          Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                          If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools &lt;- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Incorrect, we have had the full suite since Alpha 3.
                            Baby, I was born this way

Comment

I'm staying with vBulletin. Since my license is current, and because my board members are generous, I was able to purchase the suite package at the discounted rate. Also, cutting out the professional upgrade cost will help future costs enormously.

In the end, vBulletin is a business. Most businesses reassess their operations from time to time. If I can no longer afford it at some point in the future, I'll go from there. Until then, I'll enjoy the extremely clean look over here (cleaner to my eye than the competition), and an excellent webhost that allows unlimited bandwidth and storage space (HostGator).

Thanks for all your replies.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X