People in the 60days lapse period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People in the 60days lapse period

I was a little surprised to find out about all of this, i havent really been following the vb forums, my own forum runs smoothly so i dont really check these. (as you can see from my post count )

Recently my vb owned license support expired, i wasnt planning an upgrade immediately and wanted to wait until my next paycheck to pay the $40 reduced renewal fee.

Then i received out of the blue an email about v4 and decided to go check out the features etc, i thought i better renew the support now so i can continue to upgrade my 3.x forum and eventually move to 4.x

Then i find out i cant.

Despite being sent a legally binding email from vb telling me specifically that i can renew my support for $40 within 60 days, if they want to stop doing renews after that i'm fine with it, but i believe i have a contract that states i can buy support within 60 days for $40 and they havent informed me of any variation to my contract.

Looking at the forums it seems vb have made a huge mess of it, which is a shame for what has always been a very responsive and user driven company.

Like many users i feel let down from this, and the support people seem unable to give a good answer.

I think people inside their 60 days should certainly be given some sort of upgrade offer at the original $40 price, otherwise i can see vb opening themselves up to all sorts of legal action.

This recently happened in a Dutch store, and during settling the dispute they were told if they offer something, it's reasonable to be able to accept and take the offer. So the store had to honor it. How it works in US with online software. unkonwn to me.

Best of luck. It's a bit of a difference, expecting $20 discount and paying $40, vs $130 after $120 discount

Comment

Just had a look at my vb 3.x license (its in the software folder) and interestingly enough

This Agreement constitutes the complete statement of the agreement between you and Jelsoft, and supersedes all representations, understandings or prior agreements between you and Jelsoft.

This Agreement is governed by the laws of England and Wales.

vBulletinĀ® is a registered trademark of Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

It appears the software download knew i'm a uk user, and thus i can use the uk small claims court for restoration, which is handy since it costs nearly nothing to use and is very effective.

Which differs from the vb4 license which states its US LA law.

Comment

My guess would be people in the 60days lapse period are screwed just like everyone else with an expired license.
        Planning to continue using VB 3.8 post EOL? Then join the VB 3.8 Forever group and vB3Forever.org!

Comment

Originally posted by mlx View Post
          My guess would be people in the 60days lapse period are screwed just like everyone else with an expired license.
          I think legally a court would rule otherwise, you cant send an email to someone reminding them about a clause in the original contract (the ability to upgrade for $40 in first 60 days) that they signed up to in the original contract.

And then when they come to use it, change that condition and say, ohh we no longer do upgrades, without informing them beforehand giving them a reasonable period, say 30 days to accept the amendment.

Unless, in the email it stated "we reserve the right to withdraw this offer at any time".

Comment

Well, I'm not necessarily talking about what's legal here. Guess they can afford a bet that most people won't go to court and just pay or leave.
            Planning to continue using VB 3.8 post EOL? Then join the VB 3.8 Forever group and vB3Forever.org!

Comment

Originally posted by mlx View Post
              Well, I'm not necessarily talking about what's legal here. Guess they can afford a bet that most people won't go to court and just pay or leave.
              Yeah, and i'd imagine the first real legal letter that drops on their doorstep will get a quiet "heres a free upgrade" afterall, the cost of an hours lawyer time is more than the actual license.

Thats the good thing about the uk small claims court, you pay a very small fee, and your not liable for the other sides legal costs if you lose.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X