• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smirkley View Post
    Nice diversion,... but to what cause?
    Your post makes absolutely no sense.

Comment

I'm glad I didn't buy blog when renewing recently. All I can say is that I'm disappointed.

It's time to redo the forum software research I did almost a decade ago. vbulletin used to be the premiere forum software. IPB has been doing a good job catching up, and there are several new companies out there. Now, with this new licensing hand down from vb, I guess there's two weeks to figure out which one I will be using in the future...what a sad day...
      Huntsville's Premiere Car and Bike e-magazine: www.huntsvillecarscene.com

Comment

I think knowledge and experience are the first things that make great a software.
        Vbulletin group has a lot of them.

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
          Holy... you got whooshed...

My comments are direct at VB3 users with a OWNED license.
          That's me. Owned and brand free. vB has made a few bucks off of me over the years. And I have no regrets. The future, however, is a different matter.

Comment

One thing to remember is that, assuming you have an active maintenance agreement, the upgrade for the forum software itself is free. I believe the last time I renewed (which I do every year) the cost was around $30 a site - very reasonable. I appreciate that many have never upgraded as they are happy with what they have & don't need new functionality or security updates.

I realise others are complaining about the cost of moving to the Publishing Suite version, and I too have the blog add-on which I would lose if I did upgrade. However that add-on has never been popular on my site for unknown reasons. So probably unlikely I would purchase an upgrade as I have 2 sites to update & I gain no income from they sites they are on.

I could argue about the pros and cons of sticking with the forum only, or going for an 'all-singing CMS' version, and can see the heated arguments being used here are mostly very valid.

But what no-one has really understood is that vB4.0 is still vapourware to the end consumer. JelSoft are attempting to gain $130 (or whatever) now for something that has effectively not even got to the public beta stage and I personally, in 30+ years of writing code, would never expect someone to cough up cash for a product that does not visibly exist.

Fine, if JelSoft made it clear that their offer is a 'register your interest and when the time comes you can have it for $xx' as many other companies I buy from do. But I get the impression that as soon as you press that confirm button they will take the money from your bank. Even though interest rates are virtually zero, I would much prefer it stays in my bank until ready to head over when a product is actually visible somewhere.

So I believe JelSoft should withdraw their email and reissue on the basis of the preceding paragraph. The big advantage to them is they will immediately see how many people are really interested and are able to gauge their cash flow with reasonably accuracy. At the moment I can see their falling flat on their faces (whilst everybody sticks with v3.x) which may well push them under if nobody wants to upgrade. For those that have forked out $130 or whatever, they then may lose it.

Rgds John

Comment

Originally posted by JXBURNS View Post
              JelSoft are attempting to gain $130 (or whatever) now for something that has effectively not even got to the public beta stage and I personally, in 30+ years of writing code, would never expect someone to cough up cash for a product that does not visibly exist.
              A very valid point, seems a little naive that Jelsoft expect someone to pay for a product that does not exist, all you get is the ability to download 3.8

I'm sure they are several arguments here that pertain to how someones uses and justifies the cost of the software, personal and business (coupled to any site supporter contributions).

I went with vB because it was the best at the time, offered value for money backed up by a useful support forum.

I'm generally a casual user with a hobby, but have also recently implemented it in a corporate environment but the manner and explanation of the emails I received this morning somewhat stopped me in my tracks.

I'd read rumours of vB4, browsed the odd post but since there had been little communication about the subject thought little about it.

It seems the context and delivery have been compiled from a simple business perspective with little thought for the very people that allow Jelsoft to exist and I didn't find the email or information very easy to understand.

Come on Jelsoft, I thought you were better than that.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X