Disgusted at VB4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc Smith View Post
    vB person since 2001. I tried to do the 'PrePurchase' because from what I make it's chump change. I bought vBSEO a few years ago and ended up not even installing it. Money isn't an issue to me. But - Nothing I could find would lead me to a discount button or screen. To me it's not the money - It's the whole thing.

vB has gone down hill since it was purchased by who ever bought it. I even saw a long time vB person, in one thread, make totally useless responses to questions. S/he was terribly rude and curt. S/he even said s/he has no contact with developers, that s/he is just customer service person and that the bug that was reported was not a bug and the developers planned it that way (it was a link in albums if I remember correctly). S/he was either lying or simply totally disconnected from the vB team (if there IS a team any more). Luckily someone in the thread pointed out the code to change so that the link came back. My members complained of a link disappearing. After looking at the code, I know enough php and html to know the vB customer service person was either stoned or totally uninformed.

I'll probably just stick with 3.8 and let it go at that. My 'regulars' know how to use the software and are happy as things are.

I even linked to the post the vB 'customer service rep' made on my main forum as an example of of terrible customer service responses. My main forum is a Quality Assurance site and vBulletin has become an example of what happens when a big company buys a small company. Purchasers with problems are automatically classified as complainers.

My opinion is the vB folks, the new owners, have effectively alienated themselves from their core supporters. This all smells of Vista to me.

I don't know what is in store for vB in the future. I only have one forum running on it these days and haven't used it on a new site in years.

I will say Good Luck in this new adventure. I hope it works out for the vB people and their new business model.
    I am with you, I just downloaded my last update from vBulletin that will take me to 3.8.4 PL1. They have lost me as a customer unless something radical changes. However, I cannot see that happening with the big company mentality that is behind this furor running the show. Alot of this smells of alot of big companie these days, here is Australia our only pay TV service Foxtel is just about to do the same thing - screw the current customer while chasing new ones.....
    vBulletin Owner since 2002!

Comment

Originally posted by Xocide
      ...to an ugly more bloated version.

Based on some screenshots?

Explain?

Comment

I'm here to show my dissatisfaction to the vB staff and community, I have been a customer for over 4 years and what do I get? forced to pay more to upgrade, to an ugly more bloated version.
        Where does it say you're forced to? You can run VB3.x forever and ever if you want. Your dissatisfaction does not necessarily represent a larger user perspective.

Speaking of running old versions... I ran across a large forum still running VB3.0.6 - I don't think they'll ever upgrade because of how heavily modified their board is. That could be you!
        To be updated...

Comment

I wanted to write this big thing about how I felt.. but honestly...

I'm speechless....

Why would I allow myself to be extorted to upgrade software I bought as an OWNED license? I'm just... wow...

d
          o
          n
          e

Comment

Originally posted by runuo.com View Post
            ....I wanted to write this big thing about how I felt...
            Seriosly,.... tell us.

Comment

Someone please explain to me why you think if you bought an owned license, that it entitles you to a free upgrade to a whole new version?

This is not a new thing in the software business.
              To be updated...

Comment

Originally posted by smirkley View Post
                Yes, goto the "other" premium competetor,..or go to some lame freeware.

But why were you here in the first place?

I'm here, after 8 years of using vB, to state my opinion. What are YOU here for?

Comment

Oh yes, run an old version, they sooner or later they will not be releasing patches for, great advice.
                  Just stating the obvious facts! These guys that are running older versions seem to be getting along fine. -- I'm not poking at you personally, just from a perspective of what I see around the web.
                  To be updated...

Comment

A great open source option for those who want to do their own custom coding would be phpBB the old stand by software.

So if you want a free open source solution you got it !!

Right guys ?

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
                      Where does it say you're forced to? You can run VB3.x forever and ever if you want. Your dissatisfaction does not necessarily represent a larger user perspective.

Speaking of running old versions... I ran across a large forum still running VB3.0.6 - I don't think they'll ever upgrade because of how heavily modified their board is. That could be you!
                      So have I. Yet I may soon be joining those that have stopped supporting vB by not 'upgrading'. My forum is heavily modded. So what? If it's worth it, change can be good. But the vB 'team' isn't what it was.

You are right - No one is forcing anyone to upgrade. But that's not the point at all.

As to "Your dissatisfaction does not necessarily represent a larger user perspective.", the vB team may find that it does represent a large user perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post

As a current owned license holder, I get access to Forum 4.0. Once my license expires, can I continue to run the software?
                        Yes. However, you have to purchase a Forum 4.0 upgrade license in order to have access to any further maintenance, security or minor point releases on the 4 series.

As a current owned license holder, I get access to Forum 4.0. Once my current license expires, can I continue to get upgrades on the 4 series?
                        No. You will have to purchase an upgrade license in order to have access to any further maintenance, security or minor point releases on the 4 series.

As a current leased license holder, I get access to Forum 4.0. Once my leased license expires, can I continue to run the software?
                        No. Your leased license terms do not allow you to continue to run the software beyond your contract. You must either remove all instances of the software or purchase an upgrade license for Forum 4.0 or Suite.

http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=faq#faq-2
                        ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                        Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by AVC View Post
                          A great open source option for those who want to do their own custom coding would be phpBB the old stand by software.

So if you want a free open source solution you got it !!

Right guys ?
                          It's not about free. It's about much more than that.

Comment

I'm here, after 8 years of using vB, to state my opinion. What are YOU here for?

Nice diversion,... but to what cause?

Comment

It's not about free. It's about much more than that.
                              I agree with you, that is why I want vB to offer all existing forum owners who have "owned licenses" VERY ATTRACTIVE PRICING" FOR STAND ALONE FORUM SOFTWARE EVEN IF THEY HAVE NOT PAID RENEWAL FEES FOR YEARS ON A LONG TERM BASIS !!!!

Comment

Holy... you got whooshed...

My comments are direct at VB3 users with a OWNED license. Most everyone knows (or should) that an owned license is more economical! I'm fairly certain that those of use who own/admin large boards acquired "Owned" licenses.

Yes of course, if you want the NEW VERSION you have to PAY to get the upgrade! It is after all VB4 not VB3... just like Windows 7 is not Windows XP, etc.

I won't get into the ethics of pricing, but I would imagine if you own a large board - you should not have a problem funding the required fees for maintenance costs.

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                                As a current owned license holder, I get access to Forum 4.0. Once my license expires, can I continue to run the software?
                                Yes. However, you have to purchase a Forum 4.0 upgrade license in order to have access to any further maintenance, security or minor point releases on the 4 series.

As a current owned license holder, I get access to Forum 4.0. Once my current license expires, can I continue to get upgrades on the 4 series?
                                No. You will have to purchase an upgrade license in order to have access to any further maintenance, security or minor point releases on the 4 series.

As a current leased license holder, I get access to Forum 4.0. Once my leased license expires, can I continue to run the software?
                                No. Your leased license terms do not allow you to continue to run the software beyond your contract. You must either remove all instances of the software or purchase an upgrade license for Forum 4.0 or Suite.

http://www.vbulletin.com/index.php?do=faq#faq-2
                                Last edited by ENF; Tue 13 Oct '09, 10:44pm. Reason: Brain to hands... translator failure :D
                                To be updated...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X