Disgusted at VB4.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by djbaxter View Post
    Yes, indeed. I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess "Rhodes Scholar" for $1000.
    Would you believe that I see this on applications? The 'texting' plague has spread to resumes and other such job application material. I can't believe that college kids send me internship requests with this kind of language. I mean, some kid sent me a letter with skills spelled skillz.
    To be updated...

Comment

Originally posted by ENF View Post
      Would you believe that I see this on applications? The 'texting' plague has spread to resumes and other such job application material. I can't believe that college kids send me internship requests with this kind of language. I mean, some kid sent me a letter with skills spelled skillz.
      Wutz wrong wit dat?

Comment

I’ve been a proud vBulletin owner since as long as I can remember. My owner’s license recently expired in August, and due to college exams I put off renewing for a few weeks while I was still well within the 2 month “discounted” price timing.

Surprise surprise, now they want $195+ for me to keep my forum updated and secure. Thanks vB for the heads up that I needed to renew my owner’s license early, I’m sure I just missed the e-mail because vBulletin, a company that I have come to love and respect over years of use would never blind side it’s loyal customers… oh, wait a minute

Comment

Originally posted by thedudleys View Post
          Please take note:
          A LOT of members have inactive/expired licenses that were looking forward to the 4.0 versions.
          Inactive licenses have never been eligible for upgrades to new versions. Not even point releases in the same series. Also there are no more annual renewals.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Yeah I am a little upset, but not going to scream and yell. However I will vent & suggest.

The new features are great but I just got my VB OWNED license a few months ago. Means I just shelled out 180 or what ever it was recently. And now if I want to upgrade to 4.0 Suite (I understand that) I have two weeks until I have to pay full price. I know there are new features and it is different but come on now. Sorry but wouldnt it be better to offer the discount until the customer current license/support expires. I mean its only fair right? Some of us do not own a forum that generates an income. So shelling out the extra cash right now may be a little difficult. Once again my suggestion is - Allow the discount until the forum owners support/license term ends, which ever comes first. Then you still get your money and the forum owner doesn't get bent over.

Beginning today, we are introducing new a license structure. vBulletin is changing to a one-time owned license fee for each major point release. That means no more annual renewal fees. Once you purchase a major point version, you’ll receive maintenance, security and minor point releases for the life of 4.x.
            Also this comment worries me. It is not hard to go from 4.0 to 4.1 then directly to 5.0.. so this type of "upgrade" cost could occur more frequently. I would hope that VB would not do something like that but with the new license terms what would be there to stop it?

Comment

Originally posted by Arson221 View Post
              I’ve been a proud vBulletin owner since as long as I can remember. My owner’s license recently expired in August, and due to college exams I put off renewing for a few weeks while I was still well within the 2 month “discounted” price timing.

Surprise surprise, now they want $195+ for me to keep my forum updated and secure. Thanks vB for the heads up that I needed to renew my owner’s license early, I’m sure I just missed the e-mail because vBulletin, a company that I have come to love and respect over years of use would never blind side it’s loyal customers… oh, wait a minute
              This is almost like saying to your car insurance company, sorry, I forgot to renew my policy that expired a few months ago, I was busy, and gee, now that I had an accident can you cover it anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                Inactive licenses have never been eligible for upgrades to new versions. Not even point releases in the same series. Also there are no more annual renewals.
                Did you send out emails to users explaining that as of X date there was not going to be any more annual renewals? No you didn't, you just decided to spring it on everyone. The ONLY way I found this out was to try and renew!!!!!!! Bad call guys, bad call....
                vBulletin Owner since 2002!

Comment

I agree Arson221, vB needs to do something for ALL FORUM OWNERS WHO SIMPLY WANT TO RUN A FORUM, A STAND ALONE FORUM !

This means a very affordable deal on the forum module, since forum owners are the customers who built the entire company's cash flow over the years.

IB is on the verge of ruining their entire business, it is the forum customer base they MUST KEEP HAPPY, they are the future customers for any add on modules.

Modular is the way they should have build the software in the first place, not an entire suite of products.

The forum should have been the base, with social networking, blogging, photo gallery add on module licenses to be value added in case we wanted to buy them.

vB is going about this development and sales process with themselves in mind, not the customer centric way they should have been moving in.

Comment

Originally posted by zeloreo View Post
                    This is almost like saying to your car insurance company, sorry, I forgot to renew my policy that expired a few months ago, I was busy, and gee, now that I had an accident can you cover it anyway?
                    Rubbish!!! My biggest gripe is that WE WERE NOT TOLD that renewals would be withdrawn, nothing, zip, nada.

Comment

Oh yeah, another thing, I would hope that anybody in their right mind would not purchase any software/script with out first testing the functionality. Offering this special "pre order" discount with out a simple demo available is not a good choice, and IMO a bad business practice for the company offering it and the company that buys it being totally blind. Sorry if I cant test it I dont buy it .. plain and simple. Ever heard of "buyer beware" this is one of those cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                        Also there are no more annual renewals.
                        I didn't get any notice about this

Comment

Not all customers even view this forum.

I didn't even start getting involved until IB started pulling crap. All I ever did was wait fo notices and upgrade through member's area without ever seeing theis board.

Comment

Originally posted by fufu View Post
                            Not all customers even view this forum.

I didn't even start getting involved until IB started pulling crap. All I ever did was wait fo notices and upgrade through member's area without ever seeing theis board.
                            Bingo... I only come here when there is a problem or an email - I am not on here every day. Got an email today telling me I qualify for a $130.00 upgrade which reminded me to renew. Turned out I could neither renew OR get the $130.00 offer... go figure.

Comment

Did you notice how many of your lines started with "I".... that gave me a headache.

Yes, please read more carefully before raging. What ever happened to reading & comprehension??

EDIT: Zeloreo is on-target. Good job! One small note: If your license is INACTIVE, meaning you did not renew your support, you'll have to pay the full-price. If you have renewed within the last year and are currently ACTIVE, it's $130 as noted below for getting the full suite.
                              The above is drivel.

Originally posted by Joe Blow View Post
                              I've logged in and am getting an upgrade price of $250 which is odd because you can buy a new license for $235.

What is going on?
                              Good question.

Originally posted by motoxer311 View Post
                              Where's the link to download vBulletin 4.0?
                              I haven't found the discount link.

Can someone tell me why my upgrade is listed at $250 after I've logged in?

Where's the $130 option?

Hello?
                              Same here - Nada. I see no discount link or button.

I answered your post. Here (Above)

Does your order screen not do the same thing??
                              NO - It doesn't!

Nope.

See attachment.
                              Here's my screen: (Notice the little discounts button???)
                              They do not show on MY screen!

Originally posted by HobbiesPR View Post
                              This is the thing that worries me. I'm a customer/registered owner license holder since 2005 and has renewed my license about 3 or 4 times since. I was holding off to renew my license in preparation for Version 4 and now I find this!. I was expecting the $30 upgrade fee.... or even a $50/$60 is OK but $195 to upgrade my forum (only) is a bit much.
                              vB person since 2001. I tried to do the 'PrePurchase' because from what I make it's chump change. I bought vBSEO a few years ago and ended up not even installing it. Money isn't an issue to me. But - Nothing I could find would lead me to a discount button or screen. To me it's not the money - It's the whole thing.

vB has gone down hill since it was purchased by who ever bought it. I even saw a long time vB person, in one thread, make totally useless responses to questions. S/he was terribly rude and curt. S/he even said s/he has no contact with developers, that s/he is just customer service person and that the bug that was reported was not a bug and the developers planned it that way (it was a link in albums if I remember correctly). S/he was either lying or simply totally disconnected from the vB team (if there IS a team any more), not to mention totally code ignorant. Luckily someone in the thread pointed out the code to change so that the link came back. My members complained of a link disappearing. After looking at the code, I know enough php and html to know the vB customer service person was either stoned or totally uninformed.

I'll probably just stick with 3.8 and let it go at that. My 'regulars' know how to use the software and are happy as things are.

I even linked to the post the vB 'customer service rep' made on my main forum as an example of of terrible customer service responses. My main forum is a Quality Assurance site and vBulletin has become an example of what happens when a big company buys a small company. Purchasers with problems are automatically classified as complainers. I this case it was a total dissociation.

My opinion is the vB folks, the new owners, have effectively alienated themselves from their core supporters. This all smells of Vista to me.

I don't know what is in store for vB in the future. I only have one forum running on it these days and haven't used it on a new site in years.

I will say Good Luck in this new adventure. I hope it works out for the vB people and their new business model.
                              Last edited by Marc Smith; Tue 13th Oct '09, 10:06pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Xocide
                                Whatever you do, no not upgrade to vB4, go to IPB or MyBB.
                                Yes, goto the "other" premium competetor,..or go to some lame freeware.

But why were you here in the first place?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X