Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly is the Single Sign On for vb4?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What exactly is the Single Sign On for vb4?

    You can sign on with one username and password across multiple forums? The information seems confusing.
    Cursors For Your Computer and Forums
    Version 3.8.x
    Version 3.7.x
    Version 3.6.x

  • #2
    Originally posted by azn_romeo_4u View Post
    You can sign on with one username and password across multiple forums? The information seems confusing.
    If you are talking about the "Single Member Sign-On" as shown here. I would easily assume that it is speaking of a single sign across the suite of products. (Blog, CMS, Forum, etc.) [Not something like OpenID, for multiple sites.]

    I'm sure if I'm incorrect, someone can correct this post.
    To be updated...

    Comment


    • #3
      That would be my understanding as well.
      Baby, I was born this way

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ENF View Post
        If you are talking about the "Single Member Sign-On" as shown here. I would easily assume that it is speaking of a single sign across the suite of products. (Blog, CMS, Forum, etc.) [Not something like OpenID, for multiple sites.]
        Well, I was wondering this myself. If you're correct then I'm still bummed VBulletin doesn't have SSO for multiple forums.

        While looking for info on LDAP, I just found OpenID today and will take another look at it, but I'm leaning towards Fedora LDAP (or 389 Directory Server): http://directory.fedoraproject.org/

        My understanding is LDAP is tuned more for reads than writes so it might work better than a relational database like mysql anyway... I just need time to research the issues.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah, Vbulletin doesn't have true single sign on between product installs. If this feature is a "must have" feature. I suggest looking at IP.Converge.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, since Blog and PT already were seperately integrated with forum login functionality, and now Blog and PT are fully bundled into the forum software as a suite, and since CMS is the only other new addition to the bundle,...

            I can hope that this is for multi forum/domain logins.

            I would be tickled purple if this were the case.

            (I know, it really cant be expected,...but I can hope anyways)

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks, Shelby. I've been looking at IPB today and really like the SSO option. Hard to give up Vbulletin as it's what I know and love and think I'd rather get LDAP working (just gotta compile and configure it). And then figure out how to manage and modify it. Sigh.

              Comment


              • #8
                So, is vBulletin Solutions thinking about a future like the ip single sign option for the vBulletin or not?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by smirkley View Post
                  Well, since Blog and PT already were seperately integrated with forum login functionality, and now Blog and PT are fully bundled into the forum software as a suite, and since CMS is the only other new addition to the bundle,...

                  I can hope that this is for multi forum/domain logins.

                  I would be tickled purple if this were the case.

                  (I know, it really cant be expected,...but I can hope anyways)
                  Small correction, PT has been canned.
                  Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
                  VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
                  vBulletin Hosting and Services
                  Server / Website Consultation

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    So I'm hardly technical. But I do know I want to take my ldap directory and sync it with my forum members.

                    If I understand this discussion correctly, the "Single Member Sign-on" does not provide a way for me to do what I want, but instead refers to a single sign on for the CMS and for the forums. Am I right?

                    If you were to recommend a third-party plugin, what would you recommend?
                    Last edited by henrietta; Fri 13 Nov '09, 5:16pm.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      henrietta, what you write about single sign on is how I understand it. The only third-party plugin that I think Vbulletin recommends is to check with http://vbulletin.org

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by scripter View Post
                        henrietta, what you write about single sign on is how I understand it. The only third-party plugin that I think Vbulletin recommends is to check with http://vbulletin.org
                        Are there any other ways to achieve this without a third party plugin? I guess I'd have to hard code it myself.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Here's an LDAP plugin I've been meaning to checkout: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=148573

                          If you check it out and it works for you with LDAP, please post your results in this thread as I'm really curious but don't have the time right now.

                          Here's another LDAP authentication from vbulletin.org: http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=145188

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If vBulletin had something like IP Converge it would be perfect

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by fortify View Post
                              If vBulletin had something like IP Converge it would be perfect
                              I agree completely. Though, people here have been asking for it for years. As was stated earlier in the thread though, IP.Converge is the only comparison software that offers this feature. And as for Vbulletin, well, single sign on between forums is not something that has been planned.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X