Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Httpeasyhost View Post
    what email i have 4 active vb bords
    This is the email I received at 6:57AM (JST)

Originally posted by vBulletin Product Upgrades
    Dear [YOURNAMEHERE],

We hope your community is enjoying the flexibility and power of vBulletin™. As always, our goal is to offer a great product at a great price, and we are dedicated to helping you build and grow successful online communities.

Over the last 12 months, we have been building vBulletin 4.0 to be the most powerful forum and social publishing software. Today, we are proud to introduce the new vBulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite product that includes the power of the vBulletin 4.0 Forums with a seamlessly integrated content management system (CMS) and blogging platform.

As a preferred customer with an active license, we are excited to offer the vBulletin Publishing Suite at a pre-sale discount price of only $130 (over 50% off regular price). This is a truly limited one-time special offer giving you $120 off the upgrade price but will expire on Friday October 30, 2009.

Learn more about vBulletin Publishing Suite features and pricing on our new website: http://www.vbulletin.com/

Beginning today, we are introducing new a license structure. vBulletin is changing to a one-time owned license fee for each major point release. That means no more annual renewal fees. Once you purchase a major point version, you’ll receive maintenance, security and minor point releases for the life of 4.x.

You have the option to keep your current active license until it expires (according to the 12 month term and conditions). For the remainder of your active license, you will continue to receive support and have access to forum software updates, including vBulletin 4.0 Forums. Once your license expires you will only be able to access the 4 Series software updates by switching to the new one-time owned license. For more information, visit the vBulletin FAQ.

Over the last 10 years, our products have offered an exceptional value and we look forward to bringing you the best and keeping you as a loyal customer. Our team is expanding in number and expertise in order to develop more innovative features and to deliver them faster. We are investing in exciting development areas such as new products and services for 'Big Boards' and mobile applications and look forward to helping you grow your community.

Sincerely,

The vBulletin Team
    I added bold and underlining to the most important part.
    To be updated...

Comment

Originally posted by ruinernix View Post
      When windows released Windows 2000 5 years after windows 95, they offered upgrade pricing. In fact, the upgrade was probably even valid for Windows 3.1 users.

How they decided to remove the renew option for existing customers and NEVER warned us that we'd have to pay the entire cost of a new license has to be illegal.
      Agree 100%

As a preferred customer with an active license, we are excited to offer the vBulletin Publishing Suite at a pre-sale discount price of only $130 (over 50% off regular price). This is a truly limited one-time special offer giving you $120 off the upgrade price but will expire on Friday October 30, 2009.
      I guess they know my license is not "active", but why then send a misleading mail??
      Or is it just spam?

Comment

son of obituary!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it seems i was caught up in the mf'ing email crap. i was half way considering the upgrade at my "discounted" price as per the email i received. but no, it actually wasn't supposed to be emailed (cough, cough) to me. well played jelsoft, you had me going for a little while there. nothing surprises me right now.

Comment

Originally posted by LegolasTheElf View Post
          Really? Is Jelsoft paying you to kiss their butt?
          Nobody is paying me.

Comment

Originally posted by bakwas View Post
            I agree totally. The mail is misleading and has been sent out to ALL customers who have any "owned" licenses.

Professionally, they must stay firm on what they offered in their mail and the old customers should get a BETTER DEAL than the fresh customers!
            I have three owned licenses - one lapsed in August and I never got around to renewing. So my deal is that I can get two for the deal price and one for full price after being a faithful customer for years?

I agree - there should have been some sort of warning shot for us procrastinators. How about licenses that expired in the past 6 months get included too.

[shameless_grovelling]If the software was lousy, I'd have been here seeking support for problems and might have found out about this upcoming enhancement. But since vB is great, I've got no reason to be here much...[/shameless_grovelling]

www.TOOLandFAB.com
            www.UltimateYota.com
            www.UZswap.com

Comment

Originally posted by ikillbill View Post
              When we paid for "owned" license, we are entitled to pay $50($60) to get UPGRADES for a year, isn't this a LEGAL term?Did it say anywhere that we have to RE-PAY for VB4?
              You pay for the suite. The upgrade is free?

Comment

As a long time lurker this is the only time I have felt saddened enough to throw my 10 cents worth in.

The e-mail was a prime example of bad marketing tactics.

Surely a list of 'active' customers exists along with a list of 'active but expired' customers?

I admit to feeling a frisson of excitement upon seeing the mail and forwarding it to a number of people.

Now I look like the area under a horses tail when I have to tell said people and the world that the $130.00 upgrade price was just a 'bait and switch' tactic.

Of course when I tell people that I am being 'punished' for not being an 'active' customer and HAVE TO PAY $15.00 more than a NEW customer they will look upon me and my so-called business acumen as if I am something that dropped out of the aforementioned area under a horses tail!

New Customer: $235.00
                Loyal Lurking Customer: $250.00

Advice to any bricks and mortar shop owners: (Taken from the VBulletin Marketing Manual for Dummies)

Next time a regular customer buys something from you tell him / her that they need to pay FAR MORE than the advertised price as you would far rather spend even more money marketing your business attempting to get NEW business than look after his / her sorry 'area under a horses tail'.

From the Sales Page:

Please Note: vBulletin 4.0 Forums and Publishing Suite are currently on sale at a substantial discount on a pre-sale basis. You will be able to download the latest release of vBulletin (3.8) as soon as your purchase is completed. You will be able to download the 4.0 releases of Forums and Publishing Suite as soon as they are released. These pre-sale discounts are available for a limited time only.
                The underlined portions are pertinent.

And to think that I, the Bozo, was about to hit PURCHASE and then thought maybe a little bit more lurking was in order before handing over hard earned cash.

By the way, anyone want to buy an idea I have in my head?

PAY NOW and I will deliver it as soon as it is well formed.
                Golf is for people who do not know how to SAIL

Comment

250.00 to upgrade My loyality only runs so deep especially when I fell like I just got F*&ked without even a common curtesy reach around..
                  www.worldclassbodybuilding.com
                  www.basskilleronline.com
                  www.bodybuildingology.com

Comment

Originally posted by DragonlordP View Post
                    One question, because I'm a little confused by the email: I have an owned vb licence with 10 months of upgrades left or so. Does this mean that I will get the upgrade to vb4.0 for free once it's released, I just won't get any updates after my licence is expired?

Yes. You can upgrade to 4.0 Forums for free and you get upgrades for the remainder of the license term.

You can upgrade to 4.0 Publishing Suite for $130 and then your upgrades are free for the life of 4.0.

That's the way I understood it.

Comment

That's what I thought too, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by basskiller View Post
                        250.00 to upgrade My loyality only runs so deep especially when I fell like I just got F*&ked without even a common curtesy reach around..
                        Well said.

Comment

Great thread, yeah we just got royally screwed.

You buy a house and its up to you whether you pay to maintain the house, but you can if you feel the need. Cool no stress deal. It's your damn house paid for with your hard earned cash.

Now we've got to buy the house again and the extension (blog) is no longer usable. WTF!

Then we get to buy it all over again in a year or two's time. WTF!x10

Comment

whats up with the prices?

why i have to pay -> Total: $250.00... i thought we could update our license for a lower price.. if we do it during the first month, since my license got expired during sep 23

and why $235 and $195

and whats up with the blog and projects addons??? (waste of money??)

Comment

I came for my $130 upgrade as the email indicates I am entitled to but will leave with my $130. Too bad as I had been thinking about expansion and this would be perfect for what I want.

But the real cherry on top is the fact that upgrading for me is $250 but if I bought it new, $235.

FUBAR.

Comment

Originally posted by seattlecane View Post
                                I came for my $130 upgrade as the email indicates I am entitled to but will leave with my $130. Too bad as I had been thinking about expansion and this would be perfect for what I want.

But the real cherry on top is the fact that upgrading for me is $250 but if I bought it new, $235.

FUBAR.
                                But, since v4 is still months away, if you do a 'new' purchase and own the blog, you're still ****ed. You're not going to get the blog for free on the v3.8 stuff.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X