Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vbulletin 4.0 CMS features? Import from Wordpress?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
    I'm just telling you the way it is. If the demand is high enough to warrant it then I have no doubt such am importer will be made.
    How do you measure the demand? Here's a very popular mod about this topic:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=134521
    http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=205388

Please don't miss this opportunity

Comment

I am going to have to agree with stormblast here. At the very least you should confirm that you plan on making one to get the money of people like me who are still deciding. IPB3 doesn't look great, but at least it will import wordpress...

Comment

The publishing suite comes with vB Blog product, which already has an importer so you could infact do it right now, it just won't be in the CMS.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunhamzzz View Post
          The publishing suite comes with vB Blog product, which already has an importer so you could infact do it right now, it just won't be in the CMS.
          That would probably me too much of a hassle to move it to the CMS then. A Wordpress Importer for the CMS would have to

- Import the Wordpress posts
          - Import the Pictures in a Wordpress post
          - Import the Wordpress Comments
          - Import the Wordpress static pages
          - Import the search-engine-friendly URL settings or more specificly the wordpress post url. This one is actually very important to preserve the Rankings in Searchengines.

However, maybe it wouldn't be a big deal for the vB Team to port the Blog Importer to the CMS?

Comment

Originally posted by Dunhamzzz View Post
            That is really interesting. I wouldn't mind using the blog rather than the CMS. Any chance you can detail me in? Because last I checked it imports some old version of wordpress (2.3) to an old version of the vB Blog (1), which means that if I buy the publishing suite right now, I wouldn't have access to the tools I need. If indeed there is a way, I'm sold.

EDIT: FYI, yet another thread http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showt...s-in-vBulletin

Comment

I also wanted to know, how important is impex on their list of things to do? I know that they've been saying stuff like they'll work on impex when the software goes gold and stuff, but I mean that could mean 5 years from now or the day it goes gold. Anyone know?

Comment

I'd suggest that it's in their interests to get it done as soon after Gold is released as possible given that it's a sales tool as much as anything else. The problem is making sure the code is stable enough to start the work...
                Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
                -
                *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
                - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
                - Highlight the correct navigation tab when you are on a custom page
                - "Quick Route" Interface...
                - Allow to use custom icons for individual forums

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                  I'm just telling you the way it is. If the demand is high enough to warrant it then I have no doubt such am importer will be made.
                  I can tell you right now that demand is high simply because Wordpress has a MASSIVE customer base. And now that you're in the CMS market, they are a competitor.

We would be committing SEO suicide without some sort of import functionality to preserve our old URL's, or ensure the ability to mod_rewrite them.

Personally, my biggest concern is having to manually import my blogs, and have the old URL's go dead to boot.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtkin View Post
                    We would be committing SEO suicide without some sort of import functionality to preserve our old URL's, or ensure the ability to mod_rewrite them.

Personally, my biggest concern is having to manually import my blogs, and have the old URL's go dead to boot.
                    I fully agree here!

Comment

What about Importing from Movable Type? And I echo a sentiment above - how are you gauging demand actually?
                      Joe Siegler - Webmaster
                      Black Sabbath Online

Comment

vB, I'll echo the same as the others with one additional note.

The importer(s) should be available to the users as functionality within their blog settings options.

Comment

While all nice ideas, I'm much more concerned about having a script to begin with. At the very least could we get a converter that supports the new Wordpress and the new Blog, and we can promote to articles instead or something?

Rewriting URLs would seriously rock.

Comment

I'll just throw my vote in- I'm going to want a Wordpress Importer without a doubt.

Comment

Can a staff member here please tell us how they check demand? I WANT TO BUY, but obviously I cannot if I cannot import. I understand that there's a wait, but this thread has shown a lot of people who want an importer, is that enough demand for you to decide to do an importer in the future?

EDIT: There isn't even a proper one for vBulletin vBlog. You have to use a ridiculously old version of wordpress.... Without the ability to downgrade, you have to really have a craptacular site to not upgrade after all this time...
                              Last edited by PharaohsVizier; Mon 14th Dec '09, 5:48pm.

Comment

Any news on this? Maybe we should move this to vB 4.0 Suggestions?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X