X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloudane
    replied
    Hmm, very confusing stuff.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, as an expired owned user not only was I going to be punished for an extra $20 for not renewing on time (well, fair enough, it's an expensive fee for a few security updates but it's not *too* bad at $40-60/year) but they're asking $195 to get 4.0? Or does "Upgrade: Free" apply to expired owned licenses too?

If it's another $195 I'm out. I happily paid the investment for vB over 2 years ago, it being far more up-to-date than the well known free but seldom updated software (with php in the name) that I was using for my community of 10 or so people. But if I understood the marketing hype at the time (clearly not), investing in an owned license would be worthwhile for at least the years that the money would've bought as a leased license. Clearly not, especially with the annual charges dumped on top AND a huge upgrade fee!

I'd grudgingly pay something like $120 ($60 renewal, $60 upgrade), but starting again as if a new customer? No thanks. As the old cliché goes: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!

Looks like us small communities, who thought we could just about scrape together enough pennies to keep up to date, have now been priced out of the market.

Maybe I'm overreacting based on not understanding the pricing structure correctly. In which case, for goodness sake, please clarify it! Don't forget to let expired owners know where we stand.

Leave a comment:

• veenuisthebest
    replied
    Originally posted by Ray Morgan View Post
    Owned license are not eliminated; in fact going forward, all licenses will be owned. Leased licenses will no longer be sold, and annual renewals will no longer be required. When you buy 4.0, you will receive security patches, bug fixes and updates for the remainder of the 4.x series.
    ah I was just going to create a thread over this. 130$ for Suite now, once, and we are done for whole 4.x. Sounds okay to me.

Now may I please know, how long do you think would 4.x series last? More than 24 months atleast?

Leave a comment:

• TitanJeff
    replied
    I too got the "preferred member" email today only to find out I was not going to get the discount once going to the site.

Count me among those who didn't want to bother upgrading to 3.8 because I was waiting for 4.0 so allowed my membership to lapse. Now, I have to pay full price as if I've never owned a vB license.

Also, it tells me I must pay $250 under my upgrade options when the discount above says $235 for new purchases. So it costs me $15 more to upgrade than buy new?

Leave a comment:

• Ray Morgan
    replied
    Originally posted by alpha View Post
    Am I understanding the new licensing scheme correctly?

It eliminates the concept of "owned" licenses so that anyone who wants to continue using vB4 needs to at some point or another (before their renewal expires) purchase vB4 license as if you were a new customer. Except for this pre-sale, you don't get any benefit of having an existing "owned" license.
    Owned license are not eliminated; in fact going forward, all licenses will be owned. Leased licenses will no longer be sold, and annual renewals will no longer be required. When you buy 4.0, you will receive security patches, bug fixes and updates for the remainder of the 4.x series.

Leave a comment:

• jtech77
    replied
    Ok I'm confused.
    I purchased the owned version/1 year of 3.8, what happens when my owned version for 1 year ends I have to stop using vb4 Or just no support/upgrades?
    Last edited by jtech77; Tue 13th Oct '09, 4:38pm.

Leave a comment:

• KrON
    replied
    Just got confirmation from Jelsoft. They boned up the email they sent out, and sent it to everyone instead of just "active" licensees. Those of us who didn't have an active license will not qualify for the discount.

Not a big deal to me, but definitely going to piss off some people.

Leave a comment:

• zzzzzzzuhlast
    replied
    As a current owned license holder, I get access to Forum 4.0. Once my license expires, can I continue to run the software?

Yes. However, you have to purchase a Forum 4.0 upgrade license in order to have access to any further maintenance, security or minor point releases on the 4 series.

How much is the upgrade licence?

Leave a comment:

• Jobe1986
    replied
    Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
    The ship sailed on us. Cheaper to just buy a new license in January or whenever this thing comes out.
    Indeed, as I dont have the funds to paythe $130 upgrade before Oct 30th, from forum to suite (I need the CMS), Im stuck with a discount of ONLY $35 off the new price ($285) for upgrade price ($250). On top of that, from what i can tell (may be wrong though) there doesnt seem to be any consideration for the fact I have a blog licence too.

Leave a comment:

• feldon23
    replied
    The ship sailed on us. Cheaper to just buy a new license in January or whenever this thing comes out.

A 72 hour warning would have been nice.

A product roadmap and working demo before pulling the rug out would have been even better.

Leave a comment:

• KrON
    replied
    I just saw this in the faq:

"I let my license expire and now I can not renew – what are my options? You are not eligible for upgrade pricing. You must purchase a new license."

We let our owned license lapse since we didn't have any desire to upgrade from 3.6 -> 3.8, and now without warning we have no recourse but to pay the full upgrade price? I got the "As a preferred customer with an active license" email despite my license being inactive, but am unable to pay the $40 to get the 50% discount.

That's sort of a kick in the pants. I've sent an email to sales, but I really hope they let those of us who were waiting to get in on this discount. The $130 or whatever isn't going to break the bank, but it would have been nice to get a discount, for being a loyal customer for all these years (and the 3rd largest vB site for quite a while now).

We'll see what sales says. Here I thought I was "sticking it to the man" by not maintaining an active license, and now I'm getting it stuck to me!

Leave a comment:

• alpha
    replied
    Am I understanding the new licensing scheme correctly?

It eliminates the concept of "owned" licenses so that anyone who wants to continue using vB4 needs to at some point or another (before their renewal expires) purchase vB4 license as if you were a new customer. Except for this pre-sale, you don't get any benefit of having an existing "owned" license.

Leave a comment:

• veenuisthebest
    replied
    Originally posted by Brandon_R View Post
    Just my luck, my VB license expired 2 days ago so i can't get the vB 4 discount I should of upgraded a while ago but i kept putting it off.
    If I were you, I would submit a ticket requesting to adjust those 2 days. They'd surely do it, I know.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon_R
    replied
    Just my luck, my VB license expired 2 days ago so i can't get the vB 4 discount I should of upgraded a while ago but i kept putting it off.

Leave a comment:

• Jobe1986
    replied
    Originally posted by XtAzY View Post
    Yea I know but currently I cant use the upgrade discount. It only show me the $250 option, which is the full price for the upgrade. I could instead just opt for the new discounted license.
    It shows the discount when you select it.

Leave a comment:

• XtAzY
    replied
    Originally posted by Jobe1986 View Post
    The $235 is only available until october 30th (according to the FAQ) then it'll go back up to $285 for new SUITE.
    Yea I know but currently I cant use the upgrade discount. It only show me the $250 option, which is the full price for the upgrade. I could instead just opt for the new discounted license.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X