Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading to 4.0 discount & vb4 info?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    As a current owned license holder, I get access to Forum 4.0. Once my license expires, can I continue to run the software?

    Yes. However, you have to purchase a Forum 4.0 upgrade license in order to have access to any further maintenance, security or minor point releases on the 4 series.


    How much is the upgrade licence?

    Comment


    • #17
      Just got confirmation from Jelsoft. They boned up the email they sent out, and sent it to everyone instead of just "active" licensees. Those of us who didn't have an active license will not qualify for the discount.

      Not a big deal to me, but definitely going to piss off some people.
      Kyle Christensen
      PbNation.com - one of the biggest and busiest vbulletin forums on the net!

      Comment


      • #18
        Ok I'm confused.
        I purchased the owned version/1 year of 3.8, what happens when my owned version for 1 year ends I have to stop using vb4 Or just no support/upgrades?
        Last edited by jtech77; Tue 13th Oct '09, 3:38pm.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by alpha View Post
          Am I understanding the new licensing scheme correctly?

          It eliminates the concept of "owned" licenses so that anyone who wants to continue using vB4 needs to at some point or another (before their renewal expires) purchase vB4 license as if you were a new customer. Except for this pre-sale, you don't get any benefit of having an existing "owned" license.
          Owned license are not eliminated; in fact going forward, all licenses will be owned. Leased licenses will no longer be sold, and annual renewals will no longer be required. When you buy 4.0, you will receive security patches, bug fixes and updates for the remainder of the 4.x series.

          Comment


          • #20
            I too got the "preferred member" email today only to find out I was not going to get the discount once going to the site.

            Count me among those who didn't want to bother upgrading to 3.8 because I was waiting for 4.0 so allowed my membership to lapse. Now, I have to pay full price as if I've never owned a vB license.

            Also, it tells me I must pay $250 under my upgrade options when the discount above says $235 for new purchases. So it costs me $15 more to upgrade than buy new?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Ray Morgan View Post
              Owned license are not eliminated; in fact going forward, all licenses will be owned. Leased licenses will no longer be sold, and annual renewals will no longer be required. When you buy 4.0, you will receive security patches, bug fixes and updates for the remainder of the 4.x series.
              ah I was just going to create a thread over this. 130$ for Suite now, once, and we are done for whole 4.x. Sounds okay to me.

              Now may I please know, how long do you think would 4.x series last? More than 24 months atleast?

              Comment


              • #22
                Hmm, very confusing stuff.

                So if I'm understanding this correctly, as an expired owned user not only was I going to be punished for an extra $20 for not renewing on time (well, fair enough, it's an expensive fee for a few security updates but it's not *too* bad at $40-60/year) but they're asking $195 to get 4.0? Or does "Upgrade: Free" apply to expired owned licenses too?

                If it's another $195 I'm out. I happily paid the investment for vB over 2 years ago, it being far more up-to-date than the well known free but seldom updated software (with php in the name) that I was using for my community of 10 or so people. But if I understood the marketing hype at the time (clearly not), investing in an owned license would be worthwhile for at least the years that the money would've bought as a leased license. Clearly not, especially with the annual charges dumped on top AND a huge upgrade fee!

                I'd grudgingly pay something like $120 ($60 renewal, $60 upgrade), but starting again as if a new customer? No thanks. As the old cliché goes: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!

                Looks like us small communities, who thought we could just about scrape together enough pennies to keep up to date, have now been priced out of the market.

                Maybe I'm overreacting based on not understanding the pricing structure correctly. In which case, for goodness sake, please clarify it! Don't forget to let expired owners know where we stand.

                Comment


                • #23
                  If you do not have an Active license and you do not renew in the next 13 days, then vB4 is $195.
                  Also um vB5 is $195.
                  etc.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by zzzzzzzuhlast View Post
                    As a current owned license holder, I get access to Forum 4.0. Once my license expires, can I continue to run the software?

                    Yes. However, you have to purchase a Forum 4.0 upgrade license in order to have access to any further maintenance, security or minor point releases on the 4 series.


                    How much is the upgrade licence?
                    GREAT question!!!

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Ray Morgan View Post
                      Owned license are not eliminated; in fact going forward, all licenses will be owned. Leased licenses will no longer be sold, and annual renewals will no longer be required. When you buy 4.0, you will receive security patches, bug fixes and updates for the remainder of the 4.x series.
                      That is all and good for new vBulletin users purchasing a new license because they didn't have any money invested in vB 1.x - 3.x and they are purchasing a new software from scratch. However, how does it make sense that owners of the "legacy" owned licenses are required to purchase a new license to continue using vBulletin? It's like forcing existing customers with legacy owned licenses to go back out in the market and see what is available out there since we have to purchase a new license anyway. Except for this < 3 week pre-sale period, there's absolutely no benefit that existing owned licenses get.

                      Additionally, seeing as how several vBulletin staff members have posted the vB4 won't be a complete rewrite and therefore is essentially still related to vB3, I just can't understand how the decision was made to force the new licensing scheme. It's like Apple coming out with a new iTunes version and telling existing iPod users that they need to buy the new iPod if they want to sync up their music.

                      What kind of licensing scheme will you come up with for vBulletin 5.x?

                      Next thing somebody is going to announce is that vBulletin 3.x EOL is Friday, October 30th. Haha.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
                        Also um vB5 is $195.
                        etc.
                        I wouldn't bet on that - it'll be at whatever figure and structure they pluck out of the air at the time.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by iBaLLiN
                          All of you should buy IPB! vBulletin sucks & is a ripoff!
                          You sound like a broken record with each of your posts. If we wanted IPB, we'd go buy it...

                          If people are so truly butt-hurt over the change in the vBulletin licensing model, they'll surely just go elsewhere.

                          I will make a small note of interest here; It has been funny how the cost of hardware has gone down over the years in regards to building servers. While software tends to do the opposite and gets more expensive! I don't mind the cost of VB at all as we are very happy with the product as-is. The cost of the software is marginal compared to what it requires us to pay in bandwidth and rackspace for our servers. It would seem to me that a lot of people operate on a shoestring budget and don't factor in what could possibly happen in the future. All properly run boards should have an accounting/budgeting method that puts aside a certain percentage of funds for thing like this. Call it a rainy day fund or just simply a improvements/upgrade fund, whichever...
                          To be updated...

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Cloudane View Post
                            Hmm, very confusing stuff.

                            So if I'm understanding this correctly, as an expired owned user not only was I going to be punished for an extra $20 for not renewing on time (well, fair enough, it's an expensive fee for a few security updates but it's not *too* bad at $40-60/year) but they're asking $195 to get 4.0? Or does "Upgrade: Free" apply to expired owned licenses too?

                            If it's another $195 I'm out. I happily paid the investment for vB over 2 years ago, it being far more up-to-date than the well known free but seldom updated software (with php in the name) that I was using for my community of 10 or so people. But if I understood the marketing hype at the time (clearly not), investing in an owned license would be worthwhile for at least the years that the money would've bought as a leased license. Clearly not, especially with the annual charges dumped on top AND a huge upgrade fee!

                            I'd grudgingly pay something like $120 ($60 renewal, $60 upgrade), but starting again as if a new customer? No thanks. As the old cliché goes: Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me!

                            Looks like us small communities, who thought we could just about scrape together enough pennies to keep up to date, have now been priced out of the market.

                            Maybe I'm overreacting based on not understanding the pricing structure correctly. In which case, for goodness sake, please clarify it! Don't forget to let expired owners know where we stand.

                            You're completely right. You have understood the new terms. Owners with inactive owned licenses are treated like new customers.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I don't know which of the several threads to post this in . . .

                              I just renewed one of my licenses a couple days ago.
                              So does this mean I would not be eligible for v4 at a discount?
                              ...steven
                              www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
                              bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
                              "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Yes, forums for free and suite for $130.

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X