About To Purchase ~ A Few Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About To Purchase ~ A Few Questions

Hello, I am the owner of a forum who has been debating switching for over 6 months now. My current forum runs off SMF, and really needs an upgrade. Before I spend $180 dollars of my own money, I want to know two things.

First, are the terms of service/liscense still offering free upgrades. *To VBulletin 4.* I know there was a post about current liscense holders being able to upgrade for free, but I need to know if they are still that way.

Second, how easy would it be to convert my SMF forum to VBulletin, and will anything important be lost?

Thank you.

Resentful

Originally posted by Ray Morgan View Post
    In all the discussions so far related to pricing and licensing, I’ve answered that there were quite a lot of details to work out, and that I would announce everything together as soon as all the pieces were settled. While we do still have a couple of loose ends to tie up, I’m happy to report that a couple of the most important issues have been settled, and I can address some of the most urgent questions about upcoming license changes for vBulletin 4.0.

In previous posts I had recommended that everyone keep their vBulletin licenses current, and there are two important reasons to do so:

1. You will have access to the 4.0 Forum upgrade under the terms of your current license.

2. You will be able to take advantage of a pre-sale discount offer for the new vBulletin Suite that will be available to current licensed customers only.

In a few weeks we’ll be rolling out more information on the release and announcing further details of the new license terms and pricing. Meanwhile, we appreciate your patience.
    I am still waiting for information about the vBulletin Suite...

SMF... I do think it just passwords and any modifications. eg: Skins and code addons...

Comment

Yes, a upgrade to vB4.0 will be free as long as your renewals is not expired.

Yes, you can import your SMF Board to vBulletin.
      Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
        I am still waiting for information about the vBulletin Suite...

SMF... I do think it just passwords and any modifications. eg: Skins and code addons...
        Wait, you lose passwords?

Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
        Yes, a upgrade to vB4.0 will be free as long as your renewals is not expired.

Yes, you can import your SMF Board to vBulletin.
        Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Resentful View Post
          Wait, you lose passwords?

Thank you.
          Members would need go click on link and another will be resent. vBulletin has a different method in creating passwords and it will not match other software forums. It is not a big thing, as you can resend to each member or wait till they login and place a notice so your members will know prior to entering your main forum by using 'Notices'.

http://www.domain-name.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw

Comment

Members would need go click on link and another will be resent. vBulletin has a different method in creating passwords and it will not match other software forums. It is not a big thing, as you can resend to each member or wait till they login and place a notice so your members will know prior to entering your main forum by using 'Notices'.

http://www.domain-name.com/forum/login.php?do=lostpw

So I can resend everyone their password?

Comment

So I can resend everyone their password?
              You wont be able to, as the password are encrypted you will need to tell them to reset their passwords
              Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

You can send everyone an e-mail with the link to reset there password through the admincp... no worries

Comment

Awesome guys. I am going to the bank on Tuesday to put enough money in my account.

Thank you for all the help!

Resentful
                  Future vBulletin Forum Administrator

Comment

Originally posted by Resentful View Post
                    Awesome guys. I am going to the bank on Tuesday to put enough money in my account.

Thank you for all the help!

Resentful
                    Future vBulletin Forum Administrator
                    What about our accounts... Just kidding and do wish you a prosperous forum.

Comment

What about our accounts...
                      Thanks Jose for mentioning it.
                      My account No: 1234567890987654321

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                        Thanks Jose for mentioning it.
                        My account No: 1234567890987654321
                        Is that Swiss or the Caymans ?

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Avery View Post
                          Is that Swiss or the Caymans ?
                          From Cayman Banking Services' a private Swiss bank account.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Hello all,

I own a forum based in phpbb 3.02 and I was interested in migrating it to VB3.8x
                            Although I haven't seen any report to phpBB3 compatibility.

Is this possible?

Best regards,
                            Coelho

Comment

Originally posted by coelhoapm View Post
                              Hello all,

I own a forum based in phpbb 3.02 and I was interested in migrating it to VB3.8x
                              Although I haven't seen any report to phpBB3 compatibility.

Is this possible?

Best regards,
                              Coelho
                              You just simple use vBulletins ImpEx and make sure you create a working database copy prior to moving / importing over.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/impex_tiers

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X