Upgrading from 2.x to 4.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from 2.x to 4.0

Sorry I am not sure where to post this and cannot find out who has the account infos for the boards atm so posting here.

A busy-ish forum 300,000 users 2.5 million posts (probably not busy at all by todays standards but we were one of the biggest vb forums back in the day 9 years ago) is in dire need of an upgrade.

It sadly is still running 2.x but as we need to upgrade I am thinking 4 is a sensible option.

Is it possible to upgrade from 2.x to 4 in one go? or do you have to incrementally go 2.x -> 3.x -> 4.0

the upgrade is incremental by itself, the upgrade process check your actual version and will ask you to click as much times as possible to go thru all the possible versions to make sure your site is really up to date without a problem.

the only thing is you will loose all customizations, as none is actually compatible between 2.x and 3.x, so imagine 4.0..
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

Thanks

Yeah we know that the customizations will be lost but now the benefits of upgrading far out way the special scripts that were done for v 2.3.9. Also some people had written their own custom hacks for it so obviously we will lose these as well as the general 2.x ones.

Ok so it sound fairly straight forward........famous last words

Comment

Originally posted by Rovastar View Post
        It sadly is still running 2.x but as we need to upgrade I am thinking 4 is a sensible option.
        I'm not sure that after 6 years of sitting on one platform (2.x), jumping on what will be a very fast moving train of 4.0/4.1/4.2/5.0 is "sensible". But that's just me. I'd move to 3.x.

Originally posted by Rovastar View Post
        Is it possible to upgrade from 2.x to 4 in one go? or do you have to incrementally go 2.x -> 3.x -> 4.0
        Upgrading from 2.x to 3.x upgrades through the whole 3.0, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8 developments, but you don't have to do anything besides click "Continue >" about a hundred times. It's easy. Just have solid backups and set aside 2-3 hours for your forum to be down while you are doing these upgrades and testing.

I would get off of vB 2.x as soon as you can.
        Last edited by feldon23; Tue 25 Aug '09, 2:01pm.

Comment

Originally posted by feldon23 View Post
          I'm not sure that after 6 years of sitting on one platform (2.x), jumping on what will be a very fast moving train of 4.0/4.1/4.2/5.0 is "sensible". But that's just me. I'd move to 3.x.

Upgrading from 2.x to 3.x upgrades through the whole 3.0, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, and 3.8 developments, but you don't have to do anything besides click "Continue >" about a hundred times. It's easy. Just have solid backups and set aside 2-3 hours for your forum to be down while you are doing these upgrades and testing.

I would get off of vB 2.x as soon as you can.
          All of this makes a whole lot of sense to me. It seems so logical to upgrade to 3.8.4 now, and then to 4.0 further down the line.

(You know that 4.0 is not available yet, right?)

Comment

Worry about it when version 4 is out.
            Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
            Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

From the manual:

You can upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin 3 from the following vBulletin versions:
              • Any previous version of vBulletin 3, from version 3.0.0 Beta 3 to the current version.
              • Any version of vBulletin 2 from version 2.2.9 and newer. If your vBulletin version is older than 2.2.9, you will need to upgrade to at least vBulletin 2.2.9 before you can upgrade to vBulletin 3.

The upgrade process differs depending upon the version of vBulletin currently installed on your web server. Sites running vBulletin 2 will need to follow slightly different instructions from sites already running vBulletin 3 and upgrading to the latest version.
              As you're running 2.3.9, you'll be fine taking on an upgrade directly to 3.8.4. No-one's said anything about (or I suspect tested) upgrading to 4.0 Alpha from that early a version. Would be interesting to see that happen though...
              Vote for:

- *Admin Settable Paid Subscription Reminder Timeframe*
              -
              *PM - Add ability to reply to originator only*
              - Add Admin ability to auto-subscribe users to specific channel(s)
              - "Quick Route" Interface...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X