Before I buy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Before I buy...

I'm not really going to purchase this until next month really, but just planning ahead.

I have a few questions before I buy....

1. What does v stand for?

2. If I was to purchase a license, is there a way to convert MyBB 1.4.8 to vB 3.8.4?

3. Will I'll be able to keep this account I'm using here. So this way vbulletin.org can recognize me and I can get free mods and themes from them?

4. If i was to buy a owned license, after my year of membership it needs to be renewed. But is that including like I wont have access to the members area, like I can't download it any further? Or just can't download further updates?

5. Do you accept Visa? If so how long will it be processed?

Thanks.

1 I'm not sure what it means.
    2 Yes there should be a way to convent most bords to vbulletin.
    3 If you use the same email on all three then regester for priority suport then yes you can keep youraccount.
    4 After yourfirst yoear you hav to pay to continue to get updates but as long as you have a lience then you dont need to keep paying after each year, I think.
    5 They accept credit cards and they are proccesed very fast.

Comment

1.The v in vBulletin doesn't represent anything, it's a random character.
      2.You can use ImpEx to convert from MyBB to vBulletin, however, your users will need to reset their passwords, as the passwords in MyBB are encrypted.
      3.As above.
      4.There will be a new licensing system with the release of vBulletin 4.0. No information is available, however, if you buy vBulletin now, you'll be able to upgrade for free when it is released, providing this occurs within the first 12 months of purchase, otherwise you will need to pay to maintain access to the latest vBulletin versions, not including maintenance releases for that brance.
      5.As above, however, processing can take up to a maximum of 1 hour.
      Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
      VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
      vBulletin Hosting and Services
      Server / Website Consultation

Comment

I believe that the "v" stands for "virtual."

In the early days of the Net, online bulletin boards were called "virtual bulletin boards."

I'm sure that other, better-informed people will be along soon to answer your other questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
          I believe that the "v" stands for "virtual."

In the early days of the Net, online bulletin boards were called "virtual bulletin boards."

I'm sure that other, better-informed people will be along soon to answer your other questions.
          Incorrect, as Wayne Stated in this thread:

Doesn't stand for anything. However if you cannot except that as an answer you can think of it as:

"very damn cool cuz this aint your mother's bulletin because it is so damn cool Bulletin".
          well, you get our drift

However, someone actually emailed John Percival, a vBulletin founder:

Originally posted by Spetnik View Post
          I emailed John Percival on the matter. It seems I was right. Here is is response:
          It doesn't mean anything particular, but the link with vB and VB in [is?] not a coincidence.

John

Comment

The 'v'
            Originally posted by Floris View Post
            It seriously means nothing .. It probably just got picked to create a unique name. My guess is, that the owners had a visual basic forum and wanted a bulletin board software for it, and v... b .... vb forum bulletin .... vbulletin vBulletin ... tada .. A fraction of a second in their mind might have decided on this. They've always said it stands for nothing. And if people wish to think it stands for virtual bulletin or visual bulletin or something else that's fine. Truth is, it probably does stand for nothing. Just a random pick to get a unique name.
            And from http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73275
            Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
            Doesn't stand for anything. However if you cannot except that as an answer you can think of it as:

"very damn cool cuz this aint your mother's bulletin because it is so damn cool Bulletin".
            Originally posted by Spetnik View Post
            I emailed John Percival on the matter. It seems I was right. Here is is response:
            It doesn't mean anything particular, but the link with vB and VB in [is?] not a coincidence.

John
            ...steven
            www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
            bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
            "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

Comment

Well, Wayne would know more about it than I, that's for sure.

But how sure is he that the "v" means nothing?

As a rule, people would choose one letter over any of the other 25 for a reason. But we are supposed to believe that there was no reason for choosing the "v" as opposed to all the other possibilities?"

Not arguing, mind you. Just expressing a natural skepticism for a somewhat unlikely explanation.

Comment

Originally posted by 1996 328ti View Post
                The 'v'
                I just posted something from John :/

Comment

P.S. Do we know this from someone who was there at the time the choice was made?

On edit (after seeing latest post): John Percival was, I take it, there at the beginning.

So, what does "VB" stand for? Visual Basic, I guess?

Comment

P.S. Do we know this from someone who was there at the time the choice was made?
                    I've lost you but James ?

Comment

Who is James?

Anyway, the OP needs help with other, much more important Q's.

Anyone???

Comment

The v in vBulletin doesn't stand for anything. However its from the fact the first boards were a visual basic community. v Bulletin.

><; post didnt go though and i resubmitted it. Way late response

Comment

Thank you all for your responses, you'll be expecting me to be a proud vBuilletin member in the next month or so

Comment

Who is James?

Anyway, the OP needs help with other, much more important Q's.

Anyone???
                            James Edward Limm Software ... James is a found of Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd, and is currently the Managing Director.

Comment

I have another question.

My mom said she'll buy it for me, during the ordering process, it states the credit card needs to match the billing process. So if I put my name on the Billing info and it says enter your credit card info and says her name, is that okay?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X