purchasing an existing forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• purchasing an existing forum

I'm purchasing an existing forum that is running 3.8.1. I also have purchased a new domain that I plan to use the forum on. The license on the existing forum is up for renewal. What is the best way to proceed?

Should I purchase a new license and install the latest version of vbulletin on the new site then import the database into the new forum?

Or would I be better off renewing the license on the existing site, performing the upgrade to 3.8.4 then moving the entire site to the new domain?

Or should I move the site as is and not worry about updating to the latest version?

Or is there another way that would be better?

I noticed that a new version of vbulletin is expected soon? Should I wait it out to do anything then purchase when the new version is available?

I'm very new to all this...so any tips would be appreciated.

Originally posted by jimsflies View Post
    I noticed that a new version of vbulletin is expected soon? Should I wait it out to do anything then purchase when the new version is available?
    Do you like vB? If you do then buy it now from Jelsoft.
    The time of availability of the new version for the public is unknown.
    Could be months,could be next year.
    The contract you sign with them is for now,not for next year.
    "Lord,give us our daily bread,today" Not tomorrow.We don't know tomorrow.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Yeah...but my first few questions were more of my immediate concern. If I install a new version of vbulletin 3.8.4 on the new site, can I just import the d-base from the old site which is running 3.8.1? Is this the best/easiest way to proceed? I'm looking for the recommended way to move an existing site and bring it to the latest/greatest version of vbulletin.

Comment

Its my oppinion that the best way would be to upgrade the forum where it is now then switch the domain.

If you have root on the server you are hosted on, switching the domain is a piece of cake, if you used shared hosting you may have to contact your host to get it done.
        Some of my Mods:
        Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
        Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
        Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
        Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

Yeah...but my first few questions were more of my immediate concern. If I install a new version of vbulletin 3.8.4 on the new site, can I just import the d-base from the old site which is running 3.8.1? Is this the best/easiest way to proceed? I'm looking for the recommended way to move an existing site and bring it to the latest/greatest version of vbulletin.
          Jim - the 3.8.1 to 3.8.4 upgrade is not a big deal, how many posts does the board have in total?

1) Execute upgrade on the old host.
          2) Copy all files from the old host to new host
          3) Create a database dump on the old host (http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/m...nce_ssh_backup)
          4) Transfer database dump to new host
          5) Restore the dump file into the new host
          anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
          Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
          Please be my friend!
          http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
          vBulletin Performance Articles:
          Click here to read

Comment

I don't think it's a big deal, but I ended up installing vB 3.8.4 on the new domain. I think it was a good learning experience.

The existing forum has the following:

Threads: 5,215, Posts: 48,055, Members: 2,628

I just remembered that the previous owner of the existing forum said he had several custom scripts and wasn't sure if they were working correctly or not. At this point, how big of a deal would it be to import the existing d-base into the new install of vB? Any tips on how to accomplish this? (This may no longer be a presale question, as I already bought vB this afternoon.)
            Last edited by jimsflies; Tue 18 Aug '09, 12:44pm.

Comment

I don't think it's a big deal, but I ended up installing vB 3.8.4 on the new domain. I think it was a good learning experience.

The existing forum has the following:

Threads: 5,215, Posts: 48,055, Members: 2,628

I just remembered that the previous owner of the existing forum said he had several custom scripts and wasn't sure if they were working correctly or not. At this point, how big of a deal would it be to import the existing d-base into the new install of vB? Any tips on how to accomplish this? (This may no longer be a presale question, as I already bought vB this afternoon.)
              If you want a clean forum use Impex for the import.
              Impex won't import the additional database tables from the existing hacks.

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                If you want a clean forum use Impex for the import.
                Impex won't import the additional database tables from the existing hacks.
                But it will reset all kinds of ids (threads, posts etc.), so that internal links and search engine links to threads may stop working. Or am I mistaken there?

Comment

Originally posted by cellarius View Post
                  But it will reset all kinds of ids (threads, posts etc.), so that internal links and search engine links to threads may stop working. Or am I mistaken there?
                  Yes.
                  I also have purchased a new domain that I plan to use the forum on.
                  New domain=new links

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
                    New domain=new links
                    Not necessarily. The domain name can be replaced fairly easily in the database by search/replace if the rest of the link remains functional. So internal link structure can be saved. At least if you know what you are doing...
                    And: if the owner of the previous domain is nice (or you did not forget about it when you negotiated the purchase), he might even let you put in some .htaccess 301 rules to redirect the old domain to the new one for a few months. If the forum is well established and well ranked in search engines this would be an absolute must, or else I'd factore it into the price of purchase (considerably lower), since you'll lose much of that standing. Best would be if you could buy the old domain along with the forum so you have control over this yourself. And I would reserve some time for writing mails to all people who have established external links to my site and ask them very nicely to change them to the new URL. Well, to sum this up: Changing the domain of a well established and good ranking forum is a pain in the ass if you have no control over the old domain. You're bound to loose much.
                    Last edited by cellarius; Wed 19 Aug '09, 3:04pm.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                    Working...
                    X