• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normal and test forum with 1 licence

I use to run test forum together with my production one aka:
    production forum at: mydomain.com
    and test forum at area51.mydomain.com

I always do the DB/Files dump on production forum and move it to my test forum to check upgrades, modding etc...

Is that allowed if I buy 1 vBulletin (Owned License) ?
    Last edited by IKShadow; Wed 19 Aug '09, 10:06am.

Yes, its in the license agreement to be able to run a development forum. Please see the license agreement for clarification: https://www.vbulletin.com/order/license_agreement.php

Comment

Thank you for quick reply.

Comment

With this, are you allowed to give the password of the directory out to a few staff members on your forum to see what they think about things?

Comment

Originally posted by Zachery View Post
          Yes, its in the license agreement to be able to run a development forum. Please see the license agreement for clarification: https://www.vbulletin.com/order/license_agreement.php
          hi Zachery...how come each vB staff are pointing always on this aggreement but nothing to found some proper and stickied Test Forum Setup Tutorials for us who is totally new from all this things?

i dont know and sorry if i am blind but tried to look around already

Comment

Originally posted by princeedward View Post
            hi Zachery...how come each vB staff are pointing always on this aggreement but nothing to found some proper and stickied Test Forum Setup Tutorials for us who is totally new from all this things?

i dont know and sorry if i am blind but tried to look around already

No tutorial is posted because it is expected that customers know how to password protect a directory on their server or contact their service provider. With dozens of control panels and webserver applications out there we can't write a tutorial that covers them all in one go.

Installing a test forum however is exactly the same as installing your production forum. Just in a new directory called "testvb" and with a second database.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
            Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

you can also install to the same database using a different prefix if your hosting account only gives you one db.

With this, are you allowed to give the password of the directory out to a few staff members on your forum to see what they think about things?
              Its my belief that this is ok. I have a team of three people who do work on my site and server, two of which have the root login so have access to the whole server.

What i've always been wondering, is if its ok to have test boards for each of the major vb versions, i have several mods which i maintain accross versions; at the moment i'm covered as i have two liscenses - one is only valid to 3.6 providing one test platform; my devboard is 3.7 and my live site runs 3.8 but once vb 4 comes out, i'll have to loose the 3.7 board to test the upgrade to vb 4.
              Some of my Mods:
              Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb3.6+ version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
              Advanced IP Ban Manager (vb4 version) - Fine grained control over blocking trouble makers.
              Use Original thread for Comments - Uses the original thread for comments for any forum threads promoted to CMS articles.
              Custom Friendly Urls - Allows customisation of forum urls from the admin CP.

Comment

Is a demo forum not password-protected also allowed? I'm trying to setup a demo forum for VB skins but I think I have to ask this first if it's allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by CMSTheme View Post
                  Is a demo forum not password-protected also allowed? I'm trying to setup a demo forum for VB skins but I think I have to ask this first if it's allowed.
                  See the license, not allowed.
                  Dutch vBullletin users social group!

Comment

One installation for a forum and another password protected installation for a testforum.
                    1+1
                    Your demo forum could be one of them.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

If it is available to the public than you need a license for each installation.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X