Sub forums with different layout and usernames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sub forums with different layout and usernames

Basically, to make things easier, I shall just link you to http://www.perfect-ending.com/ as it shows perfectly what I'm trying to portray. If you visit the different sub forums under 'The Sagas' for example, you will notice that the layout completely changes. For each sub forum, the user has the chance to go by a different user-name (whilst still logged on to the main account). Essentially, each sub forum is almost like a new site.

Now I was wondering if any of you could enlighten me on what exactly is at play here. I'm considering opening up my own board with the same feature. By this I mean, is it some sort of addon to the board, or does the basic vBulletin software have this feature. Does it require complex coding? Or what?

Any help is appreciated.

PS - Slight noobish question, but if I registered a domain, for example www.domain.net, would it be easy to intergrate this domain into the forums. By this I mean, this would be sole 'root' domain, by visiting www.domain.net, users wouldn't be redirected to the site. Also, the url would be across the site ie: www.domain.net/category/post234433 for example.

simple.. you can have as much "styles" that you need on your site, and dedicate one for each forum/ sub-forum you have... so instead of using a single style for the whole site, you have one different for each forum you want to be different. that setup override the choice of the user if you need to.

this is default to vBulletin
    oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

Ok that's brilliant

What about the different usernames, do you have any idea what's happening there?

When I actually joined the site, it seemed the creation of these display names seemed to be admin created, if that helps?

Comment

the only thing i see is the "User Title", as the username can not be changed without the user action. The Usergroup Markup is used to change the look of the user names depending on the group they are in, but this is not what you ask i suppose...
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

No, essentially in the different sub-forums marked under sagas, the same account would have a different display name within each sub-forum. If you see what I'm saying, obviously it's achievable as it's been done there. I was just wondering how that is achieved.

Comment

oh, so it's not the username which change, but its look...

so as it is different per "style" based on the first element, each forum have its own style, you can have a CSS element for each style that will define a different style for each usergroups markup, like indicated in my tutorial here:
            http://vbenhancer.com/tuts-pow-what/...-markups/3263/

Comment

Ok, so each markup would change per different sub-forum yes?
              If that's the case, is it possible for the actual username to be hidden, to give the illusion that the markup is the display name?

Comment

hum, the markup would be different if you change it in the style, if you use the CSS technique...

you can play with CSS to display an image instead of text, but it's way different than the standard... and as you posted in the PRE-SALES forum, and not in a designer forum, it would not be recommanded to go further more on that.

Comment

Yeah I think I'll work it all out when I get the board.
                  Thanks for the help.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X