VB 4.x Style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VB 4.x Style

After reading some post about VB 4.0, I would like to clarify things about how custom skin can be protected by site owners.

The new skin rely mainly on CSS, so that means it can be easily stolen by someone out there by just looking at the CSS?

Originally posted by CMSTheme View Post
    After reading some post about VB 4.0, I would like to clarify things about how custom skin can be protected by site owners.

The new skin rely mainly on CSS, so that means it can be easily stolen by someone out there by just looking at the CSS?
    It's entirely impossible to protect ANY HTML or CSS from being viewable by anyone. Sure you can employ anti-right click javascript but that relies on the browser even support javascript, and can EASILY be bypassed, not to mention copies of all the HTML and CSS used to display EVERY page of EVERY site are downloaded to a temp location on your own hard drive. You could use javascript to download portions of the HTML/CSS from the webserver dynamically, but even then, the information is still visible to the end user if they know how to get at it. So at the end of the day, if you're worried about your style being stolen, don't use it in the public.
    http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

Originally posted by CMSTheme View Post

That's possible with the current style.

Comment

the ONLY POSSIBLE way to protect a style is to build your site with Flash... there is no known technique to protect html or css or anything else than encrypted flash files. no matter the complexity of a javascript to disable a feature in your browser, ANYBODY can leech your style...
        oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

If you are really serious, copyright and do more, patent if you really wish, and then you can legally sue people for it, or at least threaten with legal action.
          Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
          VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
          vBulletin Hosting and Services
          Server / Website Consultation

Comment

remember that if you apply a copyright, you will have a need for a budget... hiring a lawyer to protect you on court...
            oh no, i'm not going with Xenforo... come on, i'm better than that... i stick with Wordpress... rofl

Comment

Originally posted by nexialys View Post
              remember that if you apply a copyright, you will have a need for a budget... hiring a lawyer to protect you on court...
              It's relatively uncheap in the UK, but affordable:

The current charges for online registration are £37.00 for 5 years or £62.00 for 10 years per work. Uploads over 10MB are also subject to a fee of 2p per additional MB, but there is no limit to the amount of data you may upload within the registration.

Comment

or at least threaten with legal action.
                Kinda pointless that is.
                Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
                  Kinda pointless that is.
                  Yeah I know, but it does work sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by ct2k7 View Post
                    Yeah I know, but it does work sometimes
                    Some people just instantly get scared
                    Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Another approach is not to worry about it, and just work hard on your site.

We really can't control what other people do. Expecially on the internet.

We are usually happier when we focus on our own agenda, rather than worrying about someone else's.

(Of course, if someone wrongs us, that is unfair and lousy and it makes me mad too. But again, happiness comes from focusing on our own goals, not from looking over our shoulders at the other guy.)

Comment