Upgrade Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Questions

Hi, I own 5 V Bulletin Licences. I now want to get some or all of them upgraded to the latest versions. I'm not a techie so I'll need the professional upgrade service.

All licences are "owned" by me although their status in the VB Members area is listed as
    (Club Powerboat.ie - Ir ...) Inactive - Expired
    vBulletin (Owned License).

Two questions !

1. Do I have to "renew" each license before I purchase a professional upgrade to latest version or is the renewal element automatically included in the upgrade?
    2. I presume that the Professional Upgrade transfers all previous forums, threads and posts and profiles across to the new version? Your information in the pre purchase blurb is slightly confusing .

"The upgrade service does not include updating addons, customized templates, importation of posts, user information or styles from other forum software."

In other words if I pay you $150 for a professional upgrade of each of my licences, is it a one stop shop to have my forums still intact but now running on the latest VB software?

Kind regards,

Stuart
    www.powerboat.ie/forums
    www.sailingclub.ie/forums
    www.carclub.ie/forums
    Irish Business Forums

It's all going to depend on the level of customization you have on your board... ie: how many add ons do you have running under the hood. If you don't have any template modifications or products that require modification of the base code, then upgrading is a simple matter of uploading the files and running the script. If you do have heavy mods, it could take days to get it all sorted out.

IIRC, purchasing the professional installation service from VB will only get you the product installed, and any modifications to templates will be reverted back to stock once it's done. Then you'll be stuck trying to figure out how to get your mods back. You might want to hire a third party consultant to pull these upgrades for you if you have any mods to the stock vBull install. That way you keep the customizations and will probably pay less than you will for the vBulletin professional service.
    Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

Thanks BW,

I've had a few PMs from "consultants" here and am checking them out.

It should be quite quick and simple for these lads to sort as I have no mods other than some simple plug ins which even I could reload.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Kind regards,

Stuart
      www.powerboat.ie/forums
      www.carclub.ie/forums
      Irish Business Forums

Comment

I have tried to reply to a PM from one of these UK based consultants but while the PM appears to send , it doesn't appear in my sent box????????

I have 4 forums for immediate upgrade and I am looking for someone to professionally install and commision another 10 new forums (for purchase from VB, in coming weeks). I am also looking for someone (preferably the same person or company) who can also carry out design of top banner and TLD landing page for each forum and am willing to listen of course to any other tweaks or work that they suggest to improve or monetise each site.

The two consultants (one UK and one US) who have contacted me through here both decline to accept an initial phone call from me. I'm afraid that a 10 minute chat in person will be a prerequisite before I hand over my first forum(s) to anyone or any company for work.

Like yourselves my time ( I have a real job or two as well) is too valuable to spend lots of time typing to explain what could be clarified in 3 or 4 minutes on the phone.

So, if there is a VB customisation company out there with a real person on the phone, I'd like to hear from them
        Kind regards,

Stuart
        www.powerboat.ie/forums
        www.carclub.ie/forums
        Irish Business Forums

Comment

I manage servers and as such also do software installation, including vBulletin installations and add ons. I don't write full blown modifications, but can do minor tweaks to php code where necessary. I also have a phone number

The only requirements you mentioned that I won't be able to help you with are the banners and the landing pages. In my day job I'm a graphic designer and I would go crazy if I had to keep doing that during my night job as well... and I don't do html (like the maid that won't do windows LOL)

If you can't find one person/company that does it all, feel free to PM me and we can talk.
          Anybody who says "it can't be done" will usually be interrupted by somebody who is already doing it.

Comment

Thanks BW for the quick reply.

I'd prefer to have a one stop shop as there is a reasonable amount of business and probably an ongoing relationship as I role out more VBs.

I'll give you a shout if I don't find the OSS.

Kind regards,

Stuart
            www.powerboat.ie/forums
            www.carclub.ie/forums
            Irish Business Forums

Comment

1. Yes
              2. Yes.
              Professional Installation
              If you select this service, our server technicians will install vBulletin directly onto your server.

Note: Each service ordered covers installation of one license on one server. Installation does not include the installation of PHP or MySQL on your server. Please make sure the server meets the minimum requirements for vBulletin. Installation does not include importation of posts, user information, or styles from other forum software. Once the installation worksheet is filled out correctly, the installation is assigned to one of our Techs and is usually completed within 1-2 business days (not including weekends.)
              *Note: $150 per forum for Professional Installation by vBulletin.com Staff.

If you do not want to use the services that vBulletin.com provides, then you should request help by posting at vBulletin.org. It is simple and painless to do the upgrading, but make sure you have a working database tested backup for each of your sites.

Comment

So it will be $60 for the renewal of each license + $ 150 for each professional upgrade? = $210 per license?

i.e. the $60 is not included in the $150?

Stuart
                www.powerboat.ie/forums
                www.carclub.ie/forums
                Irish Business Forums

Comment

$60? I thought it was $40, but you must of waited after the 60 days.
                  1. Yes
                  2. No (but you can wish for it. It would be nice to have that part included if you choose to go that route.)

Comment

All sorted !

Following a quick phone call last night from myself in Ireland to Big Water in the US (the joys of skype!), I've had the first upgrade completed by morning .

Super fast, friendly, efficient and very reasonably priced service form Big Water ! Very impressed and I'll be using his services for the rest of my V Bulletin upgrades and new licence installations in coming weeks.

Stuart
                    www.irelandandirish.com
                    www.powerboat.ie/forums
                    www.carclub.ie/forums
                    Irish Business Forums

Comment

Thanks Stuart. It was a fairly simple process, even though your host has a strange control panel, no shell access allowed, extremely difficult symlinks, the weirdest ftp configuration I've ever wandered through, and a ftpd that decided to take a two hour smoke break without telling anybody.

I hope we don't get in trouble here. The board rules frown on using the board for solictation of services... that sfuff's supposed to go to vbulletin.org, so I usually try to avoid actually offerring services. I guess I sort of did in a later post in this thread... Ooops.

Actually I don't really advertise anywhere. Almost all of my work comes by word of mouth. I've got a site all set up to open as a support site, but there are enough fish in the pond to compete with and I'm not looking to make a career out of it. It's hobby that pays for my sites and server, so again, thank you.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X