vBulletin on Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vBulletin on Windows

I have always been told that vB sucks on Windows shared servers, is this true? I have a website that runs entirely from .Net Framework so I need a Windows operating system. I don't want to manage two websites so I need to install vB on my Windows operating system.

Everyone I've talked to said that it does not work properly, its slow, and full of errors when running on Windows.

Is this true??

Originally posted by Kensino View Post
    I have always been told that vB sucks on Windows shared servers, is this true? I have a website that runs entirely from .Net Framework so I need a Windows operating system. I don't want to manage two websites so I need to install vB on my Windows operating system.

Everyone I've talked to said that it does not work properly, its slow, and full of errors when running on Windows.

Is this true??

Its not true.I've been running vb on my windows machine quad core for almost 6 years.And I'm not experiencing no problems whatsoever.

It's all about how you configure your server.Which I'm using windows server 2008 with apache 2.2.11,php5.2.10 ad mysql 5.1.24 And a healthy size members on line.

pb

Comment

Only sucks on GoDaddy's Windows servers.

As long as you meet the requirement (MySQL 4.1.22 [?] and PHP 4.3.3) you'll be fine. Suggest MySQL 5.1.x and PHP 5.2.x though.

Comment

Then what web host should I be using for my website? I have seen hundreds and been on many websites but I don't know what the best windows shared host is.

I would like a company from the United States if possible.

Comment

You should be asking this question at http://www.sitepoint.com/forums or http://webhostingtalk.com.

GoDaddy isn't the best host but they have resolved the issues with their Windows-based servers that prevented vBulletin from even installing.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Sorry but I figured that because this was your product, you would have a good idea of where to host it. I have tried many websites asking about web hosting options and I have tried those two websites already but no one really seems to give good information about who to go with.

My current web host seems to do a decent job except for the fact that they are based in India, and when I need tech support its almost impossible to get because I don't understand a word of what they are saying and I usually have to explain my issue 20 times before they know what I'm asking.

Also, I am kind of worried about giving my bank account or credit account information to a person located in India, because there are no laws to protect me there, and it something happens to my information or bank account who do I go to?

Sure, the same thing could happen with a business located in the United States, but I know the laws here, and I know that I have options if they lose or misuse my bank details.

Guess I will keep looking around, maybe I will look into GoDaddy again, at least on a trial basis and see what happens.

Comment

We can't make official recommendations for a hosting company for you. It is just company policy that we do not endorse one company over another.

90% of the world's hosting companies are located in the United States. So it shouldn't be hard to find a US based hosting company.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X