Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to add a file download area to a forum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to add a file download area to a forum?

I wish to create a community area on my web site that is composed not only of a forum but also an area that members can upload and download files they wish to share with other community members. Here's what I want to implement:
    • Users would to need to register with the community and be signed in before they could upload or download files. So the vBulletin authentication would be used not only for the forums but also for the download area. Visitors could browse files but would need to be signed in to either upload or download files.
    • Users would be able to search for lists based on file name, a short description field for each file, user who uploaded the file (for instance, search for all files uploaded by user vBulletin user XXX) and file category. Visitors would not need to be signed in to search but they would need to be signed in to download what they find.
    • The files themselves would be stored at a location on my server that can't be linked to directly. In other words, one couldn't email someone the link to a file. All downloads would have to be from the download area on the site and only available after signing in.
    • I'd want to be able to at some future date change the storage location of files to a different server (such as Amazon S3 storage) without having to make any major changes to the structure or implementation of the download area. The links wouldn't change - only the implementation of where the links transferred the files from.
    I'm assuming that there isn't an add-on for vBulletin that will give this functionality. If I'm mistaken, great!

Assuming the download area is something I'd have to have custom built I'd want it done in ASP.NET. I know that vBulletin is all PHP but hopefully that won't create an obstacle to adding a file area developed in ASP.NET to my site that shares vBulletin user authentication.

How "do-able" does this sound? I suspect the main technical problem would be having the forum authentication being used by the file sharing area. It would be great if something like this was already available...

As long as you don't allow them to access the forum software to download because that's not allowed. It is in your current license.
    Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
    Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
      As long as you don't allow them to access the forum software to download because that's not allowed. It is in your current license.
      Thanks but I don't have a current license. I haven't purchased yet (which is why I posted to the "Pre-sales Questions" forum.

I'm not proposing to run a warez site. I have my own software product and I want to build an online community where my customers can share data files.

What do you think of the feasibility of what I proposed in my original post?

Comment

There is a hack(or two) on vbulletin.org, you may be able to use it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by beishe8 View Post
          There is a hack(or two) on vbulletin.org, you may be able to use it.
          Thanks for that tip! There does appear to be a mod I could use (the Links and Downloads Manager) but I don't know how to go about asking specific questions. I registered at vBulletin.org but since I don't yet have a license for vBulletin I can't post there. I don't plan on purchasing a license for vBulletin until I'm certain that I can implement everything I wish to implement so the requirement to buy vBulletin before being able to ask questions in the vBulletin.org forums is kind of like putting the cart before the horse in my case.

Comment

you don't have to be a registerd member to whatch that forum. you can't download stuf.
            But that is no problam since you don't have vbulletin.

most of the time the people have screenshots with there mods

Comment

Thanks but I don't have a current license. I haven't purchased yet (which is why I posted to the "Pre-sales Questions" forum.

I'm not proposing to run a warez site. I have my own software product and I want to build an online community where my customers can share data files.

What do you think of the feasibility of what I proposed in my original post?
              If you want to start offering your software product for download, i would recommend using the vBulletin members area core over at vb.org

Ive used the free core edition, and its pretty amazing bit of kit.

The premium however, costs a little money, but im sure its worth it.

It will help you with licensed customers etc.
              Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Ageurtse, I need to be able to ask questions about the mod in able to make a decision. A lot can be learned about it by lurking but I have specific questions I need answered.

hitmancode47, I'm not trying to sell any vBulletin mod nor am I looking at vBulletin as a means to offer my product for download. What I want to do is add a user community to my web site that lets users discuss my product (which itself has nothing to do with vBulletin), get support and share files they created using my product.

Comment

You can post in the Pre-sales forum at vbulletin.org. We do not provide support or answers about third-party add-ons here.
                  Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                  Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Machol View Post
                    You can post in the Pre-sales forum at vbulletin.org. We do not provide support or answers about third-party add-ons here.
                    Well, OK. I'll give that a shot. But I suspect the response I'll get will be to ask questions in the actual mods forums (where I can't post since I have not yet purchased a license for vBulletin). For instance, if I post "I have some questions about the 'Links and Downloads' mod" in the Pre-Sales Questions forum I expect I'll be told to go ask in the forum related to the mod itself. The mod developer won't be in the Pre-Sales Questions forum.

I must say I don't understand the policy they have of not allowing one to ask questions in the relevant forums until after they have bought a license for vBulletin...

Comment

What is your product?
                      Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
                        What is your product?
                        SpellQuizzer spelling software

Comment

Zookie,

Unfortunately I would probably check out IP.Download, as the kind of functionality you are looking for isn't offered by Vbulletin. There are some third party addons that work with Vbulletin, but then you're going to be subject to the pitfalls of third party developers.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelby View Post
                            Unfortunately I would probably check out IP.Download, as the kind of functionality you are looking for isn't offered by Vbulletin. There are some third party addons that work with Vbulletin, but then you're going to be subject to the pitfalls of third party developers.
                            Actually, I've found three file area mods and I'm pretty sure at least one of them will fit the bill for me:I purchased my vBulletin license yesterday and plan on choosing and installing one of them within a week.

Comment

Really great! This is I need. thank all eveyone 4 shared !
                              calcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt
                              immobilier
                              - Taux emprunt immobilier. Comparez les offres d’emprunt immobilier, simulation emprunt immobilier, taux emprunt immobiliercalcul pret assurance simulation taux emprunt immobilier

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X