Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scalability issue

Dear everyone!

At this moment we are looking for solution to use for board, which is ok for carring out 10k and more online users. vBulletin is one of candites. But before making final decision I'd like to get some more details regarding features and restrictions.

Imagine that we publish several really big projects. But all these projects have the same community, so we'd like to have just one accounts base. From other side, logically we want to make sub forum for each project. And from reliability point of view we want to make each sub forum to be located on different servers. This comes from following. Imagine some big issue or event occurs in one game, so really lot of people come to game forum. Let's say our hardware can't carry out this amount of people and fails. In this case we want to allow only "issuing" game's forum fail. Not all games forum. What do you think about possibility to do it?

Thanks in advance!

Not possible with the current software. Each of yor servers or instance has to have a seperate license. Also, databases cannot share between the multiple databases. From what I understand.

Comment

I run two forums that have hit 10,000+ users and have more than 28 million posts. vBulletin can handle the load - but much like any other php/mysql application you will need to have the server capacity and correct configuration. As far as your custom deployment is concerned, you can definetly share 1 installation and userbase; however - running (sub)forums on forum-dedicated hardware would require a rather fundamental re-write of the software.

in my example: Honda-Tech.com shares userbase and 1 vB installation with HondaMarketPlace.com

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Originally posted by Art View Post
      Dear everyone!

At this moment we are looking for solution to use for board, which is ok for carring out 10k and more online users. vBulletin is one of candites. But before making final decision I'd like to get some more details regarding features and restrictions.

Imagine that we publish several really big projects. But all these projects have the same community, so we'd like to have just one accounts base. From other side, logically we want to make sub forum for each project. And from reliability point of view we want to make each sub forum to be located on different servers. This comes from following. Imagine some big issue or event occurs in one game, so really lot of people come to game forum. Let's say our hardware can't carry out this amount of people and fails. In this case we want to allow only "issuing" game's forum fail. Not all games forum. What do you think about possibility to do it?

Thanks in advance!
      anders | vbulletin team | check out the new vbulletin facebook app
      Proudly vBulletin'ing since 2001
      Please be my friend!
      http://www.twitter.com/inetskunkworks
      vBulletin Performance Articles:
      Click here to read

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X