A question about the paid subscriptions -- Owned Licence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about the paid subscriptions -- Owned Licence

I have a question about the 'Owned Licence' subscription to purchase vBulletin.

Owned Licence - If I purchase that licence, will I only have to pay once for the first year -- $60?

And won't there be any need to pay for the following year?

Just wondering, as I'm going to be purchasing vB very soon, and so I'm prepared.

Thanks!

With the owned license you must pay $180 initially, and you will be able to download new versions of vBulletin for a year, and use those versions on one site indefinitely. After the year, the license will expire, and you will no longer receive updates to the software, and must pay a renewal fee. However, with an expired owned license, you may still run the software. The renewal fee is $40 if you renew within 60 days of your license expiring, or $60 otherwise.

Comment

I believe that the previous post is incomplete. That answer would have been accurate up until the big 'leak' of several months ago, but it is no longer a complete reply to the OP's question.

My understanding is that, if you purchase a license now, you will have to pay an additional fee when v4 comes out, even if it is issued within the first 12 months of your license. This has been confirmed, IINM, by Ray Morgan several times.

The real answer to the question is that information as to the costs you may encounter in the future has not yet been disclosed.

Comment

What is difference between "Owned License" and "Leaded License"?

Comment

Originally posted by mateus10 View Post
          What is difference between "Owned License" and "Leaded License"?
          Owned: you may use it forever
          Leased: you may use it for one year only

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

Originally posted by Baba Wawa View Post
            I believe that the previous post is incomplete. That answer would have been accurate up until the big 'leak' of several months ago, but it is no longer a complete reply to the OP's question.

My understanding is that, if you purchase a license now, you will have to pay an additional fee when v4 comes out, even if it is issued within the first 12 months of your license. This has been confirmed, IINM, by Ray Morgan several times.

The real answer to the question is that information as to the costs you may encounter in the future has not yet been disclosed.
            There have been no official announcements, and no changes to the policy have been made yet. Therefore, CHIPIT's post is correct and yours is just ignorant.
            Regards,
            Nick

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
              There have been no official announcements, and no changes to the policy have been made yet. Therefore, CHIPIT's post is correct and yours is just ignorant.
              I believe that Ray Morgan has been pretty clear. He has at all times said that the situation of people with current licenses will be 'factored in' to the new pricing scheme. Which surely suggests that such people will pay something additional for v4. It certainly does not in any way imply that the original licensing scheme will hold good for the future.

People come here for help. We should try to give them accurate information, insofar as it lies within our power.

Comment

Originally posted by Night-Hawk View Post
                I have a question about the 'Owned Licence' subscription to purchase vBulletin.

Owned Licence - If I purchase that licence, will I only have to pay once for the first year -- $60?

And won't there be any need to pay for the following year?

Just wondering, as I'm going to be purchasing vB very soon, and so I'm prepared.
                Night-Hawk,

I'll address you directly, so as not to become further embroiled in exchanges with other posters.

You are seeking clarity about what your future expenses will be, should you carry through on your intention to purchase vBulletin software. I'm sorry to have to tell you that such clarity is not currently available to you.

There is substantial reason to believe that major pricing changes are not far off. There has been considerable uproar here at the vBulletin forums for several months over this. The company has not denied that changes are planned, and has constantly stated that everything is 'under consideration.' It seems clear, though, that change of some kind is underway. The only real question is how much prices will rise, and how often.

If money is not a big factor for you, you might well want to purchase now and take your chances on the future. If money is a significant factor for you, you might want to wait an additional 1-2 months and see what the pricing structure will be at that time. We've already been waiting for the company to clarify the future for several months now. The most recent word is that new pricing will be announced in August. No promise has been made as to the actual time, however, and so it might not happen until September or so.
                Last edited by Baba Wawa; Sat 18 Jul '09, 11:56am.

Comment

There has been no official announcement about the future of the active license's for vB4

The only thing we can do is wait for that, if i were you i would delay buying a license until either information about vB4 has been released then decide from there, or just buy the software and possibly pay more in future for vB4 (IF of course you wish to update)
                  Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

If you want vB 4, you will get a discounted price if you hold an active license. Alternatively, if you wait until after 4.0 is released to purchase a license, you will be paying more. Whether the discount is a significant amount (which I assume it is), is unknown and it's a risk you have to take.

Personally, I would purchase a license now and enjoy the discounted upgrade price later on.
                    Regards,
                    Nick

Comment

I currently have an expired (since 21 June) owned license. It means that I will have to pay to extend my account to get future updates and then I will also have to pay for the vB 4.0 update itself?

Comment

Originally posted by karshpt View Post
                        I currently have an expired (since 21 June) owned license. It means that I will have to pay to extend my account to get future updates and then I will also have to pay for the vB 4.0 update itself?
                        Yes, so far as we know. You will not have to pay full price for v4, but how much of a discount you will receive has not been stated, or even hinted at.

Comment

Owned: you may use it forever
                          Leased: you may use it for one year only

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X