Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by terabyte View Post
    If basically vB 4.0 will look the same as vB looks today
    vBulletin 4 will have a whole new style, incorporating semantic HTML and is CSS-driven.

Have a look at this sneak peak from Kier: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog.php?b=2360

Comment

Belonging to the base incorporating semantic HTML and CSS for the themes designers, nothing special, too light for the eyes, it seems the actual default style slightly retouched.
      phpBB 3 done from scratch, IPB 3.x done from scratch, SMF (for SMF 2 codename Curve) doing from scratch. perhaps the vB 4 style it is too doing from scratch, but it don't seems and don't is impressive like rivals
      Last edited by Sysop9001; Thu 16 Jul '09, 7:18am.

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
        I personally prefer IPB 3, but it doesn't mean vBulletin is bad.

I see this comparison very much like Mac vs. PC. Both are equal, it's just that they accomplish the same goals in two different ways.

I will say this... You can't go wrong with either product. Both are very well designed, very professional and well worth their purchase price. What you should do is demo both products and buy the one you like better. Consider the layout of the ACP, the templating system, etc. If you like vB better, that's great. If you like IPB better, that's great, too.
        Dude... off-topic... mac and PC are nowhere near equal. My PC has 3 video cards, 8 gigs of amazing ram and a quad core processor and it costs me 1700 to build myself and no mac could ever compare to that.... lol

Comment

Originally posted by Dismounted View Post
          vBulletin 4 will have a whole new style, incorporating semantic HTML and is CSS-driven.

Have a look at this sneak peak from Kier: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/blog.php?b=2360
          Thank you for the link. I've missed that, and maybe it should have stayed that way. By my standards it's actually don't look as a big improvement for a 4.0 version. For me even it looks like a step back. Only positiv thing I seen is new textbuttons, that are not based on images. But what's upp with this old icons? For me the forum and the blog base don't really mix.

Otherwise the biggest improvement will be the centralized attachments.

I have a bad feeling here, that I will have to run after the release of beta version ...
          Last edited by terabyte; Thu 16 Jul '09, 12:31pm.

Comment

This is probably a waste of time because this topic will likely disappear but here goes anyway:

IPB 3.0 is very nice and it's available right now. The gallery and blog addons are excellent, integrate well with the forums, and are available right now. IPB's converge allows easy user account integration with external applications like CMS and its Facebook connect ready. We don't know if these feature will ever be part of VB. IPB has a built in portal and will release a CMS well before Vbulletin has one ready.

IPB has a well organized, intuitive admincp. The VB admin is a mess.

IPB as a company is friendly, non-secretive, offer inexpensive custom help and services, and the product is priced competitively.

Comment

IPB v3 (3.0.1 just got released today...) is very easy on the eyes and the admin control panel is a lot easier to navigate and find stuff then the one used on VB in my opinion. my only real issue with IPB is that there is very little in the realm of modding the boards right now (it is like only a month old though). unless you are a really experienced coder i would stick with VB for now. unfortunately i suck at coding and am about to buy a VB license

Comment

Originally posted by ridemonkey View Post
                This is probably a waste of time because this topic will likely disappear but here goes anyway:

IPB 3.0 is very nice and it's available right now. The gallery and blog addons are excellent, integrate well with the forums, and are available right now. IPB's converge allows easy user account integration with external applications like CMS and its Facebook connect ready. We don't know if these feature will ever be part of VB. IPB has a built in portal and will release a CMS well before Vbulletin has one ready.

IPB has a well organized, intuitive admincp. The VB admin is a mess.

IPB as a company is friendly, non-secretive, offer inexpensive custom help and services, and the product is priced competitively.
                lol IPB has a portal built in that's so worthless and ugly I wish they didn't waste their time...
                Last edited by DivineMessage; Thu 16 Jul '09, 2:50pm.

Comment

Originally posted by terabyte View Post
                  I'm also standing and waiting with a migration from SMF.

I have a vB license (actually two) and blog license, but to be honest I find IPB fresh so to say. vB seems to be an older product, and since we haven't seend any screens, anything at all, pricing etc. I'm considering going over to IPB, due to basically lack of information what I might expect of vB 4.0. If basically vB 4.0 will look the same as vB looks today, but only some code under the shell will be changed, then I think vB will not survive the competition in the future.
                  Check out Kier's older blog posts. He posted up several screens of what the new postbit looks like.
                  ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                  Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by DivineMessage View Post
                    Dude... off-topic... mac and PC are nowhere near equal. My PC has 3 video cards, 8 gigs of amazing ram and a quad core processor and it costs me 1700 to build myself and no mac could ever compare to that.... lol
                    That's allot of parts to keep up to a stock mac

Comment

Can you describe how that impoves your workflow and profitability? Seriously, sounds like a PC is going to streamline my entire business and I'm eagerly awaiting your response.

Comment

lol IPB has a portal built in that's so worthless and ugly I wish they didn't waste their time...
                        But they did at least make one. I'm not sure a portal is the best way to go anyway, they also have a gallery and a really nice blog. Its all about what you need and what kind of support you receive. Both products are very good,I own both and love both.

I do however like the new IPB over the old VB but the New VB will also come out and give the same new look. Its what they call competition. And without it we would have no improvements so in a way this is all very healthy in pushing for what we demand.

I hope both boards do well. I have to say I love them both.

Comment

Originally posted by flexbuffchest View Post
                          IPB v3 (3.0.1 just got released today...) is very easy on the eyes and the admin control panel is a lot easier to navigate and find stuff then the one used on VB in my opinion. my only real issue with IPB is that there is very little in the realm of modding the boards right now (it is like only a month old though). unless you are a really experienced coder i would stick with VB for now. unfortunately i suck at coding and am about to buy a VB license
                          well, can not agree more
                          we ue both, VB 's best advantages is vb.org
                          on IPB

1. much LESS modules and modules there are not so competitive
                          for example, you might find 2-3 *good* points systems on Vb, but on IPB you will just find one barely useable

2. IPB is not open enough, so all modules developers are affected.
                          Many small modules developer try to charge everything while you could see most of modules on VB are FREE

in the end, being free and open make community bigger.

If your forum need modules, Vb is the only choice, if you are ok with default one, both are good

Comment

Originally posted by ikillbill View Post
                            well, can not agree more
                            we ue both, VB 's best advantages is vb.org
                            on IPB

1. much LESS modules and modules there are not so competitive
                            for example, you might find 2-3 *good* points systems on Vb, but on IPB you will just find one barely useable

2. IPB is not open enough, so all modules developers are affected.
                            Many small modules developer try to charge everything while you could see most of modules on VB are FREE

in the end, being free and open make community bigger.

If your forum need modules, Vb is the only choice, if you are ok with default one, both are good
                            The quality is what the board offer by default and not of what you add later, I you or other one thinks that first to buy one, you don't for sure, because no one board offers all what we need. And when you ask support for your forum the first words that the supporter says are: We do not offer any support for modified boards.

Comment

I had a trial of IPB3 and found that although it was feature rich and actually pretty good there were quite a few notable problems, so we stuck with VB3.

The IPB3 default skin really isn't great - in practical use it's actually worse than the VB3 default skin for end users.

The message editor is without doubt the worst I have ever seen. I have no idea why they changed it from IPB2 which was pretty good.

You can't mouse over to preview threads. This is something that the devs of IPB have stated they will probably never include even as an option.

Profile privacy for members very limited compared to VB3 - this was a major problem for us.

The mod community for IPB2 wasn't great. For IPB3 it's relatively non-existant at the moment, and probably for a while.

There was lots of other niggles and gripes but from what I remember they were the main ones and actually even VB3 is ahead of it in many ways.

VB3 is simple to use for members and the non web savvy. I think a lot of board admins tend to forget that. On the other hand a new member to an IPB3 forum has to 'learn' how to use it, and that's not ideal.

This is why IB/Jelsoft cannot screw up VB4 because there's nothing else that I'd prefer to use other than VB3.
                              Pleased Sheep Films - Independent Filmmakers
                              Blackburn Web - an online community for Blackburn in Lancashire (thanks to Mark B for the tips)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X