IPB or VB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IPB or VB?

Hello, I am currently debating on whether I should renew my vb or go with the new IPB 3.0 and I recently tested their new software and they have the neatest new feature. It allows you to import an RSS feed and it automatically posts each item as its own thread in the category of your choice and this is very important to me. Are there any plans to add a feature similar to this to Vb 4.0?

Originally posted by DivineMessage View Post
    Hello, I am currently debating on whether I should renew my vb or go with the new IPB 3.0 and I recently tested their new software and they have the neatest new feature. It allows you to import an RSS feed and it automatically posts each item as its own thread in the category of your choice and this is very important to me. Are there any plans to add a feature similar to this to Vb 4.0?
    VB already has the RSS feed feature, we use it for a few feeds for a gaming site. When a RSS feed gets an update, a new thread in a specific forum is posted when that update is picked up by the VB RSS bot. [Edited]
    Last edited by ENF; Thu 30 Sep '10, 9:02pm.
    To be updated...

Comment

Thanks ENF =]

Love your site by the way, making me miss FFXI =]

Comment

You could get both if you wanted to. That way you can see what they are both like.
        Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
        Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by schwab2clarkson View Post
          You could get both if you wanted to. That way you can see what they are both like.
          I have the current version of Vb and help admin an IPB site so I know what both are like but IPB 3.0 is still in beta and I have people pressuring me to move to IPB so I'm hoping vb 4.0 blows IPB 3.0 out of the water because I'm a HUGE vb fan =]

Comment

IPB 3.0 is still in beta and I have people pressuring me to move to IPB
            Officially it isn't, but testing it reveals that it is.
            I myself did not like it. IMO don't move to it.

vB5 is unequivocally the best forum software, but not yet...

Comment

vb it easier and user friendly then IPB

Comment

I will probably be hung for my opinion, however...

I havent had any issues in testing my IPB 3.0 Final.. Minus the lack of documentation. However that is being worked on. That said, I am liking the IPS "company aspect" better than Jelsoft as of lately..

Also, i find the comparison between 3.0IPB vs 3.8.3VB a not-so-great comparison.. afterall. the VB series is built with an older kernel/whatever you wanna call it.. IPB 3.0 is a complete rewrite. something that Jelsoft wont even be doing for vb4.0 (note the 0, maybe in 4.1 it will be fully rewritten, but not in 4.0)

There is also consideration that IPS has taken the move forward by not supporting PHP4 in anyway.. I doubt jelsoft will do this. however i hope the best for both companies, as competition is best for us consumers.

Comment

Originally posted by uberjon View Post
                  I will probably be hung for my opinion, however...

I havent had any issues in testing my IPB 3.0 Final.. Minus the lack of documentation. However that is being worked on. That said, I am liking the IPS "company aspect" better than Jelsoft as of lately..

Also, i find the comparison between 3.0IPB vs 3.8.3VB a not-so-great comparison.. afterall. the VB series is built with an older kernel/whatever you wanna call it.. IPB 3.0 is a complete rewrite. something that Jelsoft wont even be doing for vb4.0 (note the 0, maybe in 4.1 it will be fully rewritten, but not in 4.0)

There is also consideration that IPS has taken the move forward by not supporting PHP4 in anyway.. I doubt jelsoft will do this. however i hope the best for both companies, as competition is best for us consumers.
                  What do you mean by the "company aspect"?

Comment

Originally posted by uberjon View Post
                    That IPS has taken the move forward by not supporting PHP4 in anyway.. I doubt jelsoft will do this. however i hope the best for both companies, as competition is best for us consumers.
                    I'm pretty sure that something has ALREADY been said about PHP 4 support with regards to vB 4.

EDIT:
                    I am correct (although the min PHP version has since been lowered to 5.1.<something>):
                    Originally posted by Kier View Post
                    vBulletin 4 will require PHP 5.2.3 and MySQL 5.0.22
                    Last edited by Jobe1986; Wed 15 Jul '09, 11:48pm.
                    http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

I personally prefer IPB 3, but it doesn't mean vBulletin is bad.

I see this comparison very much like Mac vs. PC. Both are equal, it's just that they accomplish the same goals in two different ways.

I will say this... You can't go wrong with either product. Both are very well designed, very professional and well worth their purchase price. What you should do is demo both products and buy the one you like better. Consider the layout of the ACP, the templating system, etc. If you like vB better, that's great. If you like IPB better, that's great, too.
                      Forums

Comment

Well, I'm preparing to launch a new website (non-gaming) and I thought that I was going to get it off the ground this summer, but recently I've decided to wait until vb4.0 is out in the wild before I go building everything around 3.8.X.

I've looked at other solutions but I'm really curious to see how the new CMS will play out. I'm not in a hurry to get this new site up, so I think we'll wait. Certainly, I'll give the vb4 beta a good kick in the tires when it's available to play with.

OT:
                        @DivineMessage; FFXIV is the new (coming) FFXI. Check it out if you haven't already.
                        To be updated...

Comment

I have the current version of Vb and help admin an IPB site so I know what both are like but IPB 3.0 is still in beta and I have people pressuring me to move to IPB so I'm hoping vb 4.0 blows IPB 3.0 out of the water because I'm a HUGE vb fan =]
                          Well then you have answered your own question. Hey I honestly hope that it does as well.
                          What you could do is run it by the guys that you help admin on the IPB board to see if they want to bring their forum across through the impex system.
                          Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                          Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

I'm also standing and waiting with a migration from SMF.

I have a vB license (actually two) and blog license, but to be honest I find IPB fresh so to say. vB seems to be an older product, and since we haven't seend any screens, anything at all, pricing etc. I'm considering going over to IPB, due to basically lack of information what I might expect of vB 4.0. If basically vB 4.0 will look the same as vB looks today, but only some code under the shell will be changed, then I think vB will not survive the competition in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by terabyte View Post
                              I'm also standing and waiting with a migration from SMF.

I have a vB license (actually two) and blog license, but to be honest I find IPB fresh so to say. vB seems to be an older product, and since we haven't seend any screens, anything at all, pricing etc. I'm considering going over to IPB, due to basically lack of information what I might expect of vB 4.0. If basically vB 4.0 will look the same as vB looks today, but only some code under the shell will be changed, then I think vB will not survive the competition in the future.
                              I agree, for me at this moment the IPB 3.x is the best one without doubt..
                              any question, have you see the future core and look about SMF 2? See it, it's really fantastic the new Design that comes out when SMF RC2 can be released

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X