Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is VB4 still aimed for July 15th?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is VB4 still aimed for July 15th?

    I know everyone is wanting information on VB4, but I need to throw my hat into the ring of curious questions. The reason I ask is I've just spend the past two months putting together a product that is due to go on sale, and the primary forum software it recommends to use is vBulletin. The problem is however, the information I wrote is based on the current vBulletin (3) and pricing structure. I can't really put the product on the market now and make all that information incorrect within a week...

    So, two questions really:
    1. Is July 15th still the aimed release date?
    2. And, if it is, will people still be able to download and use the 3.x series?

    I ask the second question because I can't recommend people to put a product that's only one a month's very limited testing onto their sites.

  • #2
    The release date is rumored to be in August.
    and Probably yes.

    And the pricing structure, if Jelsoft so much as charges a penny, there will be disputes.
    OK?
    ~maplr4life~

    Comment


    • #3
      Oh, so August now? Hrm, ok, well that changes things (in a good way for me).

      With regards to the pricing structure, I had read that they were doing away with the leased lisence and going to a 'base' and 'package' pricing structure.

      Comment


      • #4
        But if they charge a single penny for owned license holders who renew their license, like me, there WILL be disputes. Because, were OWNED license holders, who pay for a years upgrade. Theres nothing saying that we need to pay more for any single upgrade.
        ~maplr4life~

        Comment


        • #5
          What I'm asking though, is in regards to leased and owned. I mention that structure in my guide, and I'm needing to know if that's still going a head as I'll have to rewrite it all if it does.

          Comment


          • #6
            i actually just think that they'll increase the pricing, not the structure. like they did a year ago. but then, im not jelsoft.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Noctavia View Post

              So, two questions really:
              1. Is July 15th still the aimed release date?
              2. And, if it is, will people still be able to download and use the 3.x series?

              I ask the second question because I can't recommend people to put a product that's only one a month's very limited testing onto their sites.
              1. There is no announced or official release date.
              2. Regardless of when 4.x is released, 3.x will still be available for a long time to come, just as I could go download version 2.3.5 right now if I wanted.

              Originally posted by Noctavia View Post
              Oh, so August now? Hrm, ok, well that changes things (in a good way for me).
              Nowhere is August mentioned in terms of a release being made (sorry you've been so badly misinformed). The only mention of August really is here and that is when an announcement containing new pricing and licensing structures will be made, and not when vB 4 will be released.

              Originally posted by Noctavia View Post
              With regards to the pricing structure, I had read that they were doing away with the leased lisence and going to a 'base' and 'package' pricing structure.
              What you read is a rumor from leaked content. No official word has been given in regards to changing licensing structures. As I mentioned above, that announcement is due in August.

              All official information on pricing and licensing can be easily found in the Announcements forum.

              Originally posted by Noctavia View Post
              What I'm asking though, is in regards to leased and owned. I mention that structure in my guide, and I'm needing to know if that's still going a head as I'll have to rewrite it all if it does.
              See above. (Such plans are being devised at this time, and the announcement is due in August)
              Regards,
              Nick

              Comment


              • #8
                Thankyou Nick, thankyou very much. Would I be safe to assume they would announce any pricing restructuring before releasing VB4?

                Also, should I completely ignore the July 15th date as of this moment? I would expect there to be more news if it was still going ahead. The only reason I have that date is in May, an internal Jelsoft memo was supposedly leaked. This memo stated that the release date for vBulletin 4.0 gold was July 15, 2009.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Noctavia View Post
                  Thankyou Nick, thankyou very much. Would I be safe to assume they would announce any pricing restructuring before releasing VB4?

                  Also, should I completely ignore the July 15th date as of this moment? I would expect there to be more news if it was still going ahead. The only reason I have that date is in May, an internal Jelsoft memo was supposedly leaked. This memo stated that the release date for vBulletin 4.0 gold was July 15, 2009.
                  Yes 15th July is out of the question IMO. I don't even think alpha testing has started yet let alone beta.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Noctavia View Post
                    Thankyou Nick, thankyou very much. Would I be safe to assume they would announce any pricing restructuring before releasing VB4?

                    Also, should I completely ignore the July 15th date as of this moment? I would expect there to be more news if it was still going ahead. The only reason I have that date is in May, an internal Jelsoft memo was supposedly leaked. This memo stated that the release date for vBulletin 4.0 gold was July 15, 2009.
                    I personally would assume that the announcement will come prior to the release of vB 4. However, whether it is well in advance or only moments before the release, I am unsure.

                    July 15th is definitely out of the equation. That apparently was a scheduled date, but I would assume that all of the havoc around the forums (the drama and whatnot) has pushed that date further back. It's tough to tame the beast and maintain smooth production at the same time.
                    Regards,
                    Nick

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I can confirm that there will be no beta by July 15th, although I thought that was already obvious from Ray's update on June 25th.
                      Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
                      Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

                      Steve Machol Photography


                      Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.


                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by maplr4ever View Post
                        But if they charge a single penny for owned license holders who renew their license, like me, there WILL be disputes. Because, were OWNED license holders, who pay for a years upgrade. Theres nothing saying that we need to pay more for any single upgrade.
                        ~maplr4life~
                        I'll put is this way..if what is rumored is true and they make us owned license holders pay for the new version i'll be heading to joomla/smf cms right quick.

                        Comment

                        widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X